US: 94 of Top 100 Viewed Programs Are Available OTA - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 09:31 AM

Quote:
HBO and their ilk aren't really for movies IME, they're for the excellent original series!
Totally agree. I couldn't care less about the movies, but the series are generally of much higher caliber than what's on non-specialty TV. Shows like the Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and Game of Thrones are prime examples. Sure, they might come over a few seasons later to broadcast/cable, but who can wait that long?

It's a real shame that you can't get HBO (at least in a legal way) without forking out for basic cable plus a movie package that includes HBO, taking your bill to a MINIMUM of $60/month, quite a lot for an OTA'er.. There's no way to pay for just HBO-on-demand without a full subscription to the channel or to buy individual episodes. And they wonder why people download illegally.. I don't condone illegal downloading, but if faced with no other viable options, that's what it ultimately comes down to for a lot of people

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 09:47 AM
HWP

I have rented HBO series on DVD.

OTA, HD7697P, CM7778, Rotator, CM3218, TiVo, HDHomeRun
Apple TV, Netflix, Teksavvy, Unblock-us, Wind, MagicJack
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 09:48 AM

Yeah, you can't just dismiss HBO and Showtime. Love 'em or hate 'em there is no denying the critical acclaim and popularity of current shows like Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter, True Blood, Entourage, etc., and the the many other hit shows, mini-series and exclusive made for premium TV movies of recent years from the both of them (there are so many). Most critics' "best shows of the year" are most years found on HBO or Showtime.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 04:26 PM
Veteran

I see a lot of missing shows on specialty networks like USA and FX. These channels do air commercials but their popular dramas are missing.

Another, slightly OT, observation is that there seems to be little correlation between ratings and shows that were kept or cancelled. Fringe (96/1.2)is quite low on the list, far below some cancelled shows. Blue Bloods (75/1.5) remains while Chicago Code (73/1.6), L&A:LA (84/1.4) and Criminal Minds:SB (43/2.2) are gone (all similar shows with similar or higher ratings.)

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 06:52 PM

Another consideration is that some of the shows that premiere on cable channels often show up later in syndication on broadcast channels. So the show may be aired but one might have to wait a year or more to see the episodes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.