DTV Frequencies (Split from The end of Analogue) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-04-26, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Exclamation DTV Frequencies (Split from The end of Analogue)

When analogue ends in Canada will stations be switching down to their original VHF frequencies - ie. Will CBC Toronto DT drop from channel 20 to channel 5?

If so does this mean that I will require a VHF antenna to supplement my 4221?

Is there a thread that discusses this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-04-26, 08:31 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

In the main OTA Forum are threads giving DTV transition updates on the status of each of the major Canadian networks or smaller groups of stations and independents. Check for "Transition Status" in the thread title. When the CRTC approves a station's license we find out the real channel from that approval, then we wait for Industry Canada to authorize the station to occupy that channel.

Since channel assignments have changed throughout this process we have not kept a "chiselled in stone" list of what they'll be in each city. Here's Industry Canada's lists, updated every day:

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

CBLT's post transitional allotment is channel 20.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 11:24 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
One other thing to consider is while many stations will use VHF-HI (channels 7-13) post transition, very few stations will use VHF-LO (channels 2-6). There are some exceptions however (most notably Global's repeaters in both Paris and Ottawa will continue to use channel 6).

In most markets a VHF-HI antenna will be required, but this is much smaller than an antenna that covers all VHF channels. As stampeder said, check either the Industry Canada list or alternately the Canadian Government's DTV page.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

So at the Government's DTV page it lists the following for Toronto:

Quote:
CBC Toronto (CBLT-TV-1)
Analog Channel: 16
Transition Plan: Shutting down, August 31, 2011

CBC Toronto (CBLT)
Analog Channel: 5
Digital Channel: 20
Transition Plan: Digital transmitter operational – analog shutdown, August 31, 2011
What is CBLT-TV-1?

So to get VHF-HI channels like CFTO, which will be at channel 9, will require an additional antenna vs. my 4221 antenna? Can I use two different antennas and use a combiner?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 11:40 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The end of analogue thread is a facts thread, not a discussion thread as indicated in post 1 of that thread, these OT posts have been split from that thread. Feel free to rename this thread if necessary.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 11:44 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

That's what the Reception threads are for - you can get detailed info in them on how your neighbours are doing and also seek advice from our experienced members.

This isn't the thread for it Wayne, but we'll keep assisting you over here with your questions about Scarborough OTA reception: ON - Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa - OTA

For newcomers here's how to begin finding the present and future OTA DTV stations in your area:

*** WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS: Read these OTA Forum instructions before posting ***
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-04-27, 05:26 PM

Quote:
What is CBLT-TV-1?
That's the Barrie transmitter, which repeats CBC Toronto (CBLT).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-10-18, 03:02 PM

Why are some channels still on VHF?

I was under the impression that the OTA broadcasters weren't entirely interesting with the move to digital, and that the deal finally got done by closing down everything outside channels 20 to 59 and selling off the bandwidth for big bucks.

But here we are long after the transition, and I'm getting inputs on everything from 14 to 66 on the UHF side, and even stranger, there's lots of VHF across the dial. What happened to the plan? Is it still in motion, or are we stuck with combo antennas?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-10-18, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Somehow you have been misinformed.

Ch2-51 (minus Ch37) are STILL legal TV channel allocations throughout North America.
Although the UHF high end MAY shrink sometime in the near future....

Although Lo-VHF has man-made noise and monster user antenna problems, it's still
the long-range, low transmitter ERP & hence much less expensive to operate alternative...

As Analog stations converted to Digital, DTV viewers in Canada are scrambling
for VHF (esp. Hi-VHF) antennas, since Analog channels are no longer "sitting"
on the VHF channel allocations.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-10-18, 03:20 PM
Veteran

I'm not sure where you got your numbers from. The plan was always to consolidate to 2-51, although it was acknowledged in Canada that VHF-Low was pretty useless, and any allocations on VHF-low would be mostly on 5 and 6.

Many broadcasters that were on VHF-High for NTSC stayed on VHF-High because:
  • they could reuse the same antenna plant,
  • sometimes even parts of the transmitter plant,
  • coverage in hilly areas is better on VHF-High
  • power consumption requirements were allegedly lower, although many are finding they need higher power to get equivalent in-building coverage in urban areas.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-10-18, 03:36 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
There are still some 52 to 69 holdouts and that's why you see something on 66 in Toronto. It will be gone in a couple of weeks. It got special permission to stay on the 66 for 2 months as CKXT will be defunct November 1.

There are also a number of CBC repeaters in mandatory DTV markets in this range too and at the moment have permission to continue to August 31, 2012. I understand that CBC will again apply to extend this - we'll have to see what the CRTC (and IC too I'd guess) says about that?!

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 09:19 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
I thought the extension CBC received was only to continue broadcasting in analog in certain mandatory markets (where they have a repeater instead of an originating station). They had applied to move repeaters on channels 52-69 to lower frequencies, did this not happen?

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 10:43 AM
Veteran

Some repeaters were moved down in frequency, while others were downgraded in power in order to stay out of band as LP stations.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 10:15 AM

Channel 51 is new end of the TV spectrum (698 MHz) every things upper will
be use for the new 700Mhz band.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.