Canada DTV Transition PSAs, Ads, and News Items - Page 31 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #451 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 04:37 PM

I'd imagine it has more to do with repeater stations. In the States almost all channels are stand-alone entities. In Canada, most GTA stations have one or more repeaters around Southern Ontario. Although the programming is identical, the channel #'s are not. Announcing "CHCH 11.1" might confuse viewers of their Muskoka repeater, which is on channel 67.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 04:55 PM

Location: Oshawa, just off the 401, under a cellphone tower, in the shadow of the GM plant
If they had to mention the main station and all repeaters both visually and aurally it could seriously take a lot of time and therefore I couldn't see it being done.

However, if a station can do like KIRO in Seattle does, then I think they should regularly identify themselves. KIRO simply states something to the effect that KIRO 7 is also available on the following translators and the screen stays on for maybe 5 seconds so the viewer can quickly read the info. Doing this is plausible, promotes station identification, promotes OTA, and I don't see it confusing anyone. I would suspect most people watching on a repeater are aware they are watching on a repeater anyways.
post #453 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 05:04 PM

A visual-only ID, as in a list of translators, is an acceptable legal ID here in the US.

OTA, it's a beauty way to go!

post #454 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 11:00 AM

Over 90% of viewers in Canada are watching on satellite or cable so the OTA channel number is meaningless. For a while Canadian stations used a dual identification (channel 9, cable 8) but since the advent of direct to home satellite this form of identification has become pointless as well. In practical terms, you can't display (tag) the actual channel number on-screen for all the different cable companies and satellite companies. With DTV, the channel identification and number is available on-screen when changing channels and anytime the viewer presses the info or display button on the remote. The same applies for cable and satellite digital boxes.

On-screen channnel numbers are a concept that time has passed by. In the US where broadcasters have made their channel number part of branding, the old analog number lives on but has little practical (technical)relevance.
post #455 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 06:34 PM

Quote:
In the US where broadcasters have made their channel number part of branding, the old analog number lives on but has little practical (technical) relevance.
Branding based on call letters is likewise still big in the US. For instance KDKA-TV Pittsburgh is often cited by the average viewer to identify the CBS affiliate partly due to the heritage of its AM sister station. Here in Dallas, WFAA is used along with the virtual (and real) channel of 8, with only a secondary mention of its ABC affiliation.

Are call letters still widely used for branding in Canada? Would the average non-technical person be aware that CBC is CBLT in Toronto or CBMT in Montreal?
post #456 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 06:37 PM
Veteran

In Thunder Bay. They do use the call letters. CKPR and CHFD,
post #457 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-25, 08:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Are call letters still widely used for branding in Canada?
I would expect some stations rely on call sign branding. For example AM station CKOC is the oldest radio station in Canada. They're not going to lose their well known ID. As for the CBC, at one time any Canadian (CBx was originally assigned to Chile) station call starting with "CB" was CBC. Then there's CITY-TV in Toronto, which started out as a local (back when they started, they couldn't cover much more than local with UHF) station for Toronto. They probably want to hang onto that call. On the other hand, Global never identified with individual stations. They started with a small network of stations that all showed exactly the same content.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #458 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-25, 04:17 PM

re_nelson,
In the Toronto/Hamilton market, most of the stations identify themselves by the network and rarely show their call letters. The exceptions are CityTV and CHCH which use their call letters but not channel numbers as brands. The two OMNI stations have some station break IDs that show call letters CFMT and CJMT but the stations do not refer to themselves by the call letters or use them in promotions.

For digital identification (PSIP data), the call letters are the norm except for the two OMNI stations (separate transmitters) that show OMNI 1 and OMNI 2, and TV Ontario that does not display anything - the call letter space is blank.
post #459 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-25, 05:02 PM

In Vancouver the stations use their network identity, ie CTV, the exception is small independent CHEK who are know by their call letters. All the other stations the majority of Vancoverites (non Digital forum members especially) would not even know the call letters or real broadcast channel. CHNU is more known by their cable channel number and even brand themselves JOY 10

South Burnaby - Best TV Fool @ 1' AGL (modified 91XG, M4, HD8800)
post #460 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 11:16 PM
Veteran

Almost forgot to mention this. I've created an extra page on my Web site last week containing my ratings of various news reports published during the days leading to the digital TV transition.

http://thecanadianpublic.com/dtv-info-ratings/

The results were a bit surprising to say the least. Some of the cable company owned broadcast channels managed to deliver better and more accurate information on the transition than many of the public and independent news outlets!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.