Canada DTV Transition PSAs, Ads, and News Items - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 09:37 AM

Heritage Canada is including locations where stations have indicated they are going to change. Belleville TVO is on 53 so is moving to a digital location, same with Cloyne. Fort Erie is losing Global and is going to be covered by the Toronto digital station.

Good to see the information is fairly accurate about who is affected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamothe View Post
Heritage Canada is including locations where stations have indicated they are going to change.
That is exactly it. The CRTC is listing the mandatory markets where as Heritage Canada is listing the markets where stations will be changing (including some markets that aren't mandatory) mostly because of stations being out of band post transition.

If Shaw's plans to migrate all of Global TV's transmitters comes to fruition, Heritage Canada's list will have to grow substantially larger.
post #18 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Makes them feel as though they're actually doing something. ;-)
It's funny, because it's true.

100% OTA since July 2010!

post #19 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 12:36 PM
Rookie

Broadcast Dialogue article on DTV Transition

For those who are interested in reading an update on Canada's transition, a link to last month's Broadcast Dialogue follows.

The main article starts on page 6 of the .pdf, ending on page 12.

http://broadcastdialogue.com/Admin/p...010-09-Web.pdf
post #20 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 02:12 PM

Canada DTV Transition PSAs, Ads, and News Items

The CRTC has set out some proposed regulations around public service annoucements (PSAs) informing the public about the digital transition:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-927.htm

Their proposal calls for broadcasters to begin with at least six PSAs per day starting on March 1, 2011 (or six months in advance, if a station plans to shut down analog before the deadline) and increasing to eight per day starting on August 1, 2011 (or one month in advance of an early analog shutdown).

The deadline for submitting comments is January 11.
post #21 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 02:14 PM
Member #1

Ridiculous. 80% of the population subscribes to cable or satellite so why do they need these ads?

Use the PSA time for something of value.
post #22 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 02:15 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

If you intend to comment on Public Service Announcements regarding the DTV transition, be sure to follow the instructions in the Procedure for filing comments section of that CRTC page.

Nice to see that they're finally finding their feet on this issue. It would be ridiculous to not inform the public of their OTA options after the transition.
post #23 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 02:36 PM
Veteran

If it's a short PSA, say 2-5 minutes, then I think it's a good idea. They could be aired once an hour during prime time instead of the awful station and programming promos that currently fill that air time. It would have the added benefit of raising awareness regarding digital TV and HDTV among cable and satellite subscribers. There are a lot of people who still think they will need a new TV on Aug 31, 2011.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #24 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 03:14 PM

I think that what the CRTC should have run was a PSA in Canada during the time of the switch over in the USA that told Canadians they didn't require a digital converter unless they watched American OTA. I'm afraid I saw people in retail stores being sold units they didn't require.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #25 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 03:19 PM
Member #1

Seriously, why do we need PSA's to announce changes to the law?

The newsmedia will make it well known, well in advance of the change over date. In addition, OTA stations can run commercials that only run on OTA broadcasts in advance of the changeover.

If the U.S. is any indication, broadcasting this stuff is only going to confuse more than it educates.
post #26 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 03:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The newsmedia will make it well known, well in advance of the change over date.
That's a pretty broad assumption about an institution that seems to be more interested in badly behaving movie stars and political scandals than local news.

Quote:
In addition, OTA stations can run commercials that only run on OTA broadcasts in advance of the changeover.
Not possible since OTA and BDU signals must be identical under CRTC guidelines.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #27 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 03:56 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Not possible since OTA and BDU signals must be identical under CRTC guidelines
Then make an exception for PSA which pertain to the changeover. They make the rules so they can change them!
post #28 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 06:12 PM
Veteran

They should just do a 30s spot (i.e. regular ad slot) stating "if you receive your television via antenna/over the air broadcast, you may require changes to your antenna system. Please call 1-800-O-CANADA or visit websitefortransition.ca

That's all you need.

Even better, just insert the ads into the analog-only feed.
We know they have the technology, it's used for simsubbing.
As said, a temporary exception can be made, given the circumstances and that it's not being done to get extra revenue or something like that.
For all intents and purposes, the BDU and OTA feeds would be the same, as BDU's draw from the digital feed anyway (where available).
If there's only an analog transmitter in use and that's how the BDU gets it.. well, the above commercial covers that because of the "if you receive your tv via antenna" part.

If someone agrees and wants to submit this suggestion, go ahead. I can't be bothered at the moment

Just so long as it's not 10 minute crawlers annoying me, I don't care what ads they show.
post #29 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 06:40 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The risk to consumers is too high without PSAs. From years of posts here at this site we know all too well that consumers have been told some amazingly wrong things from sales and customer service reps regarding any number of digital electronics products and services. Do we trust such people to inform customers properly about the transition? The answer is no. Will some sales people attempt to convince unwary consumers that they require certain monstrous cables to watch DTV? Yes, of course.

So, unless we actually want consumers to be ill-informed we need to have PSAs running.
post #30 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 06:46 PM
Member #1

my last thoughts on the matter,

As noted, if they are on the OTA feed only, the commercials get to the right people. Leave the time on sat and cable feeds for more important messages.

If government wants to inform cable and sat users, then let them buy commercial time using the hundreds of billions they are earning from spectrum auctions.

Honestly, I'd rather see Public Service Announcements used to educate consumers about important things like healthcare, rape crisis centre's etc than letting people know about the transition to digital television.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.