Ontario Ads on Buffalo OTA Stations - Good business? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 08:13 PM
Veteran

I agree that OTA is growing as from my upstairs window i can see 3 other OTA antenna when there used to be none.With cable cost soaring and OTA HD free and without requiring a cable box.Fees for carriage and Sim subs all driving growth in OTA in areas near the border.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 09:33 PM
Veteran

This is slightly off topic but those annoying Marineland ads are actually seen across Canada on CBC NN. When I moved to PEI I thought that I would finally be spared having to listen to that stupid jingle they've been running since 1980 (or maybe even earlier). No such luck!

At least Marineland only advertises from about mid May to just after Labour Day. The rest of the year is still Marineland free!

PS: Some of the kids shown in those ads must be grown up by now. I wonder if they appreciate seeing themselves as youngsters whenever they turn on a TV?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 11:26 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMx View Post
Even if you are in the business of selling OTA gear and therefore in a position to count the sales it doesn't mean the percentage of OTA is actually increasing across the country. Lots of new homes are still being sold and occupied which can offset the conversions from cable/satellite to OTA. The net gain for OTA may be slight.

Further, you record your location as Durham which is an excellent place for Canadian and US DTV reception. I have a relative who lives in Clarington and gets lots of DTV from Toronto, Hamilton, Buffalo and Rochester. I don't think the Durham situation can be extrapolated to many other places particularly where DTV is not available or is limited to a handfull of Canadian channels. I am not surprised that economic hardship is driving some OTA activity in Durham with the GM Oshawa economic conditions. I don't doubt that OTA is showing life in your area but I don't think it is statistically significant over a larger area.
Spent much time driving around subdivisions in the GTA lately? Several places I'm astounded by how many 4221s and 4228s I see - even in newly built subdivisions.

I see new ones being raised in my area pretty much weekly.

This thread is about Buffalo OTA Stations, so the situation around the country you mention is irrelevant here. What is relevant is that it is growing in the GTA.

WZ1, thanks for correcting my rough numbers. So the net impact to considering Southern Ontario by the Buffalo stations is even greater than I originally estimated. :-)

There might even be the day where Ontario OTA viewers surpass the number of American viewers on both cable and OTA. There's just that many more people on our side of the border. That could offer an opportunity to WNGS and WPXJ to extend their reach our way.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 11:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
No Canadian ads on US stations?
There's no law preventing Canadian companies from advertising on U.S. station, but they might not be allowed to claim the expense on their income tax. There are exceptions, such as the tourist industry, if a significant portion of their business comes from the U.S.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-10-30, 10:31 AM
Veteran

I'm no marketing statistical wiz or anything, but I think ya also have to keep in mind, that statistically, a certain number of people may kinda fall off the face of the earth after a while and aren't even counted. Like with unemployment numbers, the only people they count are the people who are unemployed, and still looking for work. After a while some give up looking (don't report to the unemployment office anymore, etc), and aren't counted as employed or unemployed in the statistics. Doesn't mean they are statistically irrelavent.

Similarly, if someone hasn't paid a BDU bill in three years, four years, maybe even never, haven't switched on or off, how would anyone even know about the user? Since they've never switched on or switched off from any provider there is no trail. Some people ya might even consider as technically illiterate, and could care less, would never even respond. Doesn't mean they wouldn't have a tv in the house.
Personally I hang up or shut the door every chance I get when some survey nonsense calls, or stops by my house....
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-06, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
...I'm no marketing statistical wiz or anything, but I think ya also have to keep in mind, that statistically, a certain number of people may kinda fall off the face of the earth after a while and aren't even counted.
I think the calculation is total TV households less BDU customers equals OTA viewers. Total households is a government figure (municipal records) that is adjusted by census data for the percentage of households with one or more TV sets to get TV households.

Some TV households will not be counted for example when a householder rents out an illegal basement apartment and gives the renter free cable. Some OTA may not be counted if the renter uses an indoor antenna. Overall, I don't think these errors will really make a difference to the overall numbers of OTA viewers compared to BDU subscribers.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 06:37 AM
Veteran

I'm not Canadian so I can never dispute what is asked on a Canadian Census.
Certainly not asked on a US census though.
Noone has ever asked me how many TV's, Antennas, satellite dishes, cables hookups, telephone lines, cellphones, microwaves, refrigerators, bathrooms, whatever,
that I have in the house on a US Census.
They count people, not gadgets.

If I had a satellite dish, a cable hookup and an OTA antenna, how would ya determine what I "rely" on, or even watch the most?
How do ya even know how many TV's are in the house?

The fact of the matter is, that if Canadian and US TV Signals weren't propagating across the border, there wouldn't be Canadian TV Ads aimed at
Americans and vice versa, but there is. Therefore OTA is big enough to catch someone's (advertisers) attention.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 08:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
I'm not Canadian so I can never dispute what is asked on a Canadian Census.
Certainly not asked on a US census though.
Noone has ever asked me how many TV's, Antennas, satellite dishes, cables hookups, telephone lines, cellphones, microwaves, refrigerators, bathrooms, whatever,
that I have in the house on a US Census.
They count people, not gadgets.

If I had a satellite dish, a cable hookup and an OTA antenna, how would ya determine what I "rely" on, or even watch the most?
How do ya even know how many TV's are in the house?

The fact of the matter is, that if Canadian and US TV Signals weren't propagating across the border, there wouldn't be Canadian TV Ads aimed at
Americans and vice versa, but there is. Therefore OTA is big enough to catch someone's (advertisers) attention.
In the early days, the advertising market was determined by OTA reception of American signals in Canada.

But nowaday, I suspect it's almost totally based on cable carriage.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Can't say I've ever seen a question on our census regarding if I own a TV--and if so--how I obtain signals.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 09:23 PM

AFIK, the regular short form census would not ask this question. If it was asked in a given census year it would be on the long form census which is only distributed to a fraction of the overall population.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.