DTV Subchannels in Canada's Future? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 10:51 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysmoke View Post
Would be predisposed..... But I don't believe anyone has ever applied for a sub-channel licence. It could be easily argued that there is no conflict. That for over-the-air viewers, no service would be duplicated,(I don't believe there is presently any Canadian music, weather, retro or sports over-the-air channels). And for cable and sat subscribers, these subchannels would not appear on their dial. They would be none the wiser, not having an antenna. Really this bit appears to be nothing more than a sop to the objections of Pelmorex.
If BDUs were prohibited from carrying the sub-channel, this would be true, but it is unlikely to be the case. If it was, I am not sure if a profitable business case could be made for Canadian broadcasters to have a sub-channel that isn't carried by any BDUs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 11:57 AM
Veteran

Then the CRTC would need to make a ruling on whether subchannels qualify for mandatory carriage and/or simsubs and/or negotiated FFC. If it's a yes, broadcasters might decide to start adding subchannels. If not, I doubt they would bother.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 12:38 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
Then the CRTC would need to make a ruling on whether subchannels qualify for mandatory carriage and/or simsubs and/or negotiated FFC. If it's a yes, broadcasters might decide to start adding subchannels. If not, I doubt they would bother.
For mandatory carriage and/or simsubs the CRTC has said they would consider it on a case by case basis. There three categories of BDU carriage (with various sub options):
  • Mandatory Carriage
  • Optional Carriage
  • Prohibited Carriage
Only in that last case could I see the "concerns of Pelmorex and others" not being applicable. In the other two cases, the channel could be competing with other cable channels. Having said that, I am not convinced that this competition is a bad thing.

post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-03-23, 11:23 PM
Rookie

I live in a small Northern Ontario area that used to have a decent number of analog TV channels. We still have two analog channels and one digital. We used to have more but they disappeared? when they were switched to Digital. I would like them to use the Sub channels so we could regain the channels we lost like CBC English and French, TVO etc. The channels I recieve from USA added major networks to their subchannels in my area. Canada should do the same.
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-03-24, 02:19 PM
Veteran

Robert Canadian sub channels not likely to happen.With TV service providers and broadcasters owned by the same groups ,there is no profit in providing OTA.I suspect you will lose those analog signals you now have too.Your politicians expect you to pay to watch Canadian stations.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #81 of 81 (permalink) Old 2017-03-24, 05:15 PM
Veteran

Never mind that broadcasters aren't interested, the CRTC will not allow it. Existing OTA services are not allowed to share channels, they must be on their own channel. New services are allowed on sub-channels but broadcasters are more interested in shutting down towers to save costs, not expanding OTA services to generate revenue. Any new services are going on cable because collecting fees from subscribers generates more income than OTA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.