Connect antenna to TV that has no Coax-in? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Connect antenna to TV that has no Coax-in?

Hello,

I live in Chicago and trying to connect external antenna (which has coax) to my tv (Hitachi 55HDM71) which doesn't have Coax cable connection. I have been trying to use Viewsat MaxHD satellite reciever using HDMI connection like following:

antenna <..coax.> MaxHd <..hdmi cable..> TV

But this isn't working since reciever is searching for satellitles and unable to find any.

This tv is just monitor (no tuner) and it does have other options ike s-video, component however I like to use HD as I am spoiled by HD quality :-)

I looked online and also went to radio shack but couldn't find any converter that would convert from coax to HDMI (or vice versa).

Here are my questions:
1- Is there any coverter I can use (instead of my reciever) for this setup?
2- What do I need to do to see my local channels in HD format using external antenna in my situation?

Any help will be apprecaited...Thanks-a-lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 02:01 PM

Quality isn't cheap. Samsung-DTBH260F-HDTV-Terrestrial-Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTBH26.../dp/B000JV6TQY

IMHO a DIY DVR might be a good investment. Even just an ATSC tuner card like the ones from Hauppauge (assuming the TV is your computer monitor)

Bill
My blog
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 06:42 PM
Veteran

Welcome fim004,
  1. Here's some background reading about OTA for you if you haven't seen it already: OTA FAQ & Knowledge Base

2. Quote:
    I looked online and also went to radio shack but couldn't find any converter that would convert from coax to HDMI (or vice versa).
    Now, for your monitor. It isn't a TV since it lacks a tuner, analog or digital, and that is the reason why there is no coax input. Kudos to you for realizing this - many people spend 100's of $$$ for a tuner they never use! I'm not sure how you intended on hooking up the Viewsat MaxHD using an HDMI cable since the 55HDM71 does not have an HDMI input. It does however have a DVI input. To use that digital input you would need an HDMI -> DIV converter, which do exist, but is an extra link in the system. I don't recommend going this route unless you absolutely have to. Alternatively you can use your component inputs (Y, Pb, Pr) to connect to your DTV tuner... and yes, with the exception of Blu-ray, you do get HD through component inputs!! see this for more info: FAQ - DVI/HDMI Information

3. So you need a set-top box (STB) tuner with component or DVI outputs. Please see this thread for info about HD STB's:
    ATSC High Definition Tuner Boxes (Non-Recording)
    As mentioned on page 10 of that thread, the Winegard RC-1010 is also a suitable option for you to consider. Unfortunately, AFAIK, there are no digital STB's with the newer chipsets - generation 6. It seems they all go into newer HDTV's and PC tuner cards. Digital STB's are really transitional devices to get us from the era expensive digital tuners (10 years ago) to the era of digital tuners in every new TV (today).

cheers.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 06:56 PM

One reason I didn't buy a HDTV until earlier this year was that they had no tuners! What was the reason for many HDTVs sold in Canada 2-4 years ago having no tuners? On the assumption that people would just hook up HD STBs to them?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 08:02 PM

Fim004, your MaxHD should work. It sounds to me like you just haven't got to the right screen in antenna setup. There should be something saying terestrial. Find that and do a terstrial antenna scan and you should be OK. Also make sure you are connecting your antenna coax to the terestrial antenna input on the MaxHD receiver and not the satelite input. Good luck.

EDIT:
Sorry fim004, my mistake. It was the 9000HD that had the ATSC tuner. The MaxHD does not. It was priced lower than the 9000. You need a STB tuner as 99gecko has mentioned in his post, item #3.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone especially 00gecki. I am looking into Winegard RC-1010 option as that makes sense to me. And yes you are correct the HDMI is a DVI connector on the tv side. Currently solidsignal.com is out of stock but I see couple of them on Ebay...Once again thank you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 07:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
What was the reason for many HDTVs sold in Canada 2-4 years ago having no tuners?
Many TVs sold back then *did* have ATSC tuners -- like the one I have.

But many did not, and the reason seems simple enough: they were being dumped on us (Canada) because USA law forbade sales of new TVs without DTV tuners.

Cheers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 12:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
they were being dumped on us (Canada) because USA law forbade sales of new TVs without DTV tuners.
And it still happens. You can still buy NTSC only sets. It'd be nice if the government would take steps, similar to the U.S., to protect Canadian consumers. We're less than 2 years away from Canada's analog cut off date. Let's get with the program.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 11:06 AM
Veteran

Reality Check:
U.S. law phased out Analog-Only tuners in a "TV Set", it had to include ATSC.

If Canadians can still buy Analog-Only "TV Sets", consider yourselves lucky
to have an inexpensive option for use with Analog signals still available OTA
and on Cable/SAT systems. An inexpensive, battery operated "TV Set" is now
a thing of the past in the U.S.

Manufacturers are still allowed to sell "Monitors" which do not have ANY tuners.
Which are less expensive for the vast majority of viewers who subscribe to Cable or SAT.
Or simply want to connect them to a Game Set or DVD Player....or a CECB Converter Box.

This could hardly be called "dumping"....

And for additional cost, you can also buy a Digital Cable Ready (DCR) TV, which has
Analog and Digital QAM capability for Cable....and just because they can....OTA ATSC....

BTW: A "TV Set", by definition, must include some sort of tuner....otherwise it's a Monitor.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 11:56 AM
Veteran

While still scarce, portable, battery operated ATSC TVs are available. Tiger Direct currently has a 7" set that includes AC & 12V DC power adapters and rechargable battery. What would be nice would be a portable TV with built in Blu-Ray player.

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-10-02 at 02:47 PM. Reason: retail pricing removed per rules

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.