TV Sports via OTA in GTA? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-05, 02:57 PM

Check out this thread. He's the only Ontario viewer I'm aware of that has had success with WNGS--from Grimsby.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-05, 08:44 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I wonder if there is any possibility that the Blue Jays would object to Yankees games coming in OTA into Canada? Maybe MLB has rules about it?
post #63 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-05, 09:00 PM
Veteran

shhh...LOL
Just kidding.
I think other local Buf OTA stations have occassionally had some Yankees games on in the past.
Not a Yankee fan so can't say I'd recall exactly which one.

SBGH/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

post #64 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-05, 11:14 PM

I've seen MLB games on FOX before....

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #65 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 05:40 AM
HWP

OTAers don't get Rogers Sportsnet, so we're not even prospective Blue Jays viewers. Can't be a fan for the Raptors, Blue Jays, or Argos unless you have cable. Life goes on for me, somehow.

OTA, HD7697P, CM7778, Rotator, CM3218, TiVo, HDHomeRun
Apple TV, Netflix, Teksavvy, Unblock-us, Wind, MagicJack
post #66 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 08:28 AM
Veteran

Blue Jays on OTA

Every Saturday MLB is on FOX, and occasionally the Jays have been on, but it's usually the Yanks or Red Sox. But now with WNGS, there will be a few more Jay (vs. Yanks) games. Gotta find the best antenna for RF 7, maybe poutanen can start a production line?

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #67 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
I wonder if there is any possibility that the Blue Jays would object to Yankees games coming in OTA into Canada? Maybe MLB has rules about it?
Buffalo is part of Yankee territory. Jays actually don't have a stake in Buffalo for MLB even though the proximity is much closer.

CM4228, CM4220HD, Samsung LNT3242H, AccessHD DTA1080D, RCA DTA800, CM7775, Samsung DTB-H260F, Samsung LN40B750
post #68 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 06:34 PM

Back when WNGS was a WKBW sub, they used to carry Yanks, Indians, and White Sox games. I wonder if the current ownership is looking at restoring that old arrangement. I'd love to see some White Sox games, and you'd thnk there would be a chance of getting some more Jays games out of it too.
post #69 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 10:00 PM
Veteran

Buffalo and MLB Blackout Rights

Ok, just to clarify the misinformation that is out there re: Buffalo and its Baseball situation. First, they never had White Sox, they had Indians rights. It just so happened they kept playing the White Sox the majority of the time the games were being shown.

Why did they have Indians rights? What about the Yankees, Mets, Pirates and Jays?

Two maps, different styles, but both have the same information...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/...1150742098.jpg

or

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/67...ap1000x733.gif

As you can see, Buffalo is in the Indians, Mets, Yankees and Pirates territory. Even though Toronto is a closer drive than all of those cities, the Jays do NOT have Buffalo as a territorial right. The Jays have NO USA territory at all (which is why in Windsor, Jays games can be shown on cable TV but not OTA). That means ANY Buffalo station can acquire rights to NYM, NYY, PIT or CLE games. They CANT secure Jays broadcast rights. WNGS has secured Yankee OTA games for this season but that is all that has been announced at this time. IN '08 WNGS had Mets, Yankees and Indians. I don't think anyone has picked up the Pirates recently.

WNGS has relaunched its site. Here is a list of Yankee games they have for this season. http://www.wngs-tv.com/home/new-york-yankees/ As you will notice, a lot of the games WNGS plans to show are games where they have secured Yankee rights and the Yankees are facing Toronto.

In theory, ANY of the remaining Buffalo stations can secure OTA rights to NYM, PIT or CLE if they wanted since they are defined as part of those teams market. Toronto can't do anything about it because they are Buffalo stations serving the Buffalo market. Plus truth be told I can't see them caring. These would only be select games anyways. Also, ALL of this is aside from the MLB on FOX, who have purchased national rights to air weekend games in an exclusive window where no other games can air unless it is airing on FOX. Again, this has nothing to do with regional rights for Toronto. (In fact, The Toronto Blue Jays sometimes have home games that conflict with Fox's Saturday afternoon telecasts, as Canada is not subject to Fox's exclusivity. Unlike ESPN, Fox does not normally permit the visiting U.S.-based team to televise the game live in its regional market.)

Oh, and for a map for the areas that the Jays do share territorial rights, see this map http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ackout_map.PNG

And as for the person who said the Jays air on US TV, tell me the last time a Blue Jays non-playoff game was featured in the States nationally (so on Fox or ESPN)? Last mention I can find online is July 31, 1993 when the Tigers were in Toronto and CBS has the MLB rights. I vaguely remember an ESPN game maybe a decade ago that was Boston-Toronto late in the season that Boston may have needed to get into the post season but I cant find any mention of it. Canadian ratings don't factor into the equation in the USA, so they ALWAYS choose a USA v. USA team to broadcast unless the game means something in the standings. The Jays right now have NO games scheduled for US National broadcast this season.

CM4228, CM4220HD, Samsung LNT3242H, AccessHD DTA1080D, RCA DTA800, CM7775, Samsung DTB-H260F, Samsung LN40B750
post #70 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 10:34 PM
Veteran

I think WBKW 7.2 was showing Indian games, because the Bisons were the AAA farm team.

I also think the owners of WNGS were previously a part of WUTV before it was FOX-29; WUTV use to show Yankee games during the week with "Holy Cow" Phil Rizzuto as the color guy- memorable- so seeing WNGS doing the Yanks/MLB is not totally surprising if the same guys are involved. Maybe WNGS will become the new WUTV that was independent and served western NY AND southern ON- movies, sitcom re-runs and sports.

Keep an eye open for Indian or Pirate games from Erie PA...

post #71 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 10:38 PM
Veteran

WKBW 7.2 = WNGS at the time

And yes, the new owners of WNGS used to work at WUTV. See http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...ht=Philip+arno

or

Quote:
Arno, of Clarence, started in the broadcasting industry in 1969 at WKBW radio. He also has worked at WKBW-TV and WIVB-TV, as well as at WUTV, Channel 29, when it first went on the air in 1970. He also spent 18 years in the Los Angeles market.
http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n55247875/

post #72 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 10:43 PM
Veteran

OK, that should bode well for WNGS- they probably realize the potential market of southern Ontario as previously with WUTV.

post #73 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-07, 12:50 AM

I stand corrected. I could have sworn it was CWS that was the third team, but I just had a look at the '08 WNGS baseball sched in Google cache.

The teams carried were the Yanks, Indians, and Mets. Some CWS games vs CLE and NYY, but not a primary team in their package.
post #74 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-07, 12:27 PM

Quote:
And as for the person who said the Jays air on US TV, tell me the last time a Blue Jays non-playoff game was featured in the States nationally (so on Fox or ESPN)? Last mention I can find online is July 31, 1993 when the Tigers were in Toronto and CBS has the MLB rights. I vaguely remember an ESPN game maybe a decade ago that was Boston-Toronto late in the season that Boston may have needed to get into the post season but I cant find any mention of it. Canadian ratings don't factor into the equation in the USA, so they ALWAYS choose a USA v. USA team to broadcast unless the game means something in the standings. The Jays right now have NO games scheduled for US National broadcast this season.
I can't remember the last time Fox showed the Jays (if ever) but they usually do appear on ESPN or TBS at least a couple times each season. This year, they will be on the TBS Sunday afternoon game April 17 against Boston and again against the Yankees in May. So far it doesn't look like they have any ESPN appearances but that could change. Obviously this doesn't help us for OTA though..

Last edited by JJMoney; 2011-04-07 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
post #75 of 280 (permalink) Old 2011-04-07, 06:33 PM
Veteran

from the schedule on the WNGS website, u have 4 chances to catch
the Blue Jays & Yanks OTA.

Quote:
4/19/2011 Tuesday 7:00pm Yankees @ Blue Jays
5/24/2011 Tuesday 7:00pm Blue Jays vs. Yankees
7/15/2011 Friday 7:00pm Yankees @ Blue Jays
9/16/2011 Friday 7:00pm Yankees @ Blue Jays

SBGH/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.