TV Sports via OTA in GTA? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-06-01, 06:53 PM
Veteran

Thumbs up Free Sports Channel

Just got another FREE channel today- WGRZ 2.2 - The Universal Sports Network. Somewhat refreshing- not the same old sports you see on other sports channels, and as mentioned- FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 11:00 AM

What kind of sports are they showing.
post #18 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 11:09 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
The discussion re: Universal Sports on WGRZ 2.2 can be found here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=46264&page=99

Let's stick to the topic of this thread, please.

post #19 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 02:58 PM

Question TV Sports via OTA in GTA area?

ok this may sound like a dumb question but what the hell. is it possible with an ota hd antenna to pick up sports channels like TSN? there must be tons of sports guys who get free HD tv i'm just wondering what you guys do about it or do you just use the internet for your sports streams?
post #20 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 03:23 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

JamesC00, no chance of TSN since it is a cable network that satellites also deliver.
post #21 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 04:22 PM
Veteran

The last 11 NASCAR Sprint Cup races are OTA on ABC in HD.
Starting with the Richmond Chevy Rock & Roll 400, September 6 and every week on ABC all through the Chase.

goforit, I thought the Grand Daddy of all OTA sporting events is the Datona 500, OTA on FOX-HD in February.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #22 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 04:29 PM

NFL - you get a good spread of games id say 4-6 games a week

NHL its slim pickings. about 1-2 games a week

NBA - most of the playoffs for sure but some season games

PGA - almsot always sunday for the majors are on and ususaly the sat / fri as well

Tennis - ususaly NBC has coverage of finals usualy

Nascar - every weekend theres a race usualy on FOX or ABC

theres Baseball games on the TV every week too but not many. maybe 1-2 again

Universal sports has lots of odd ball stuff liek rowing , swiming, vollyball, track and feild etc

so thers still tons of stuff just dont expect to be able to watch the teams you want. hey its free. and im sure im missing some stuff
post #23 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 06:51 PM

yep i would have guessed..ah well thats not bad considering you're getting hd for free

nhl wouldn't be too bad but their sunday noon games on nbc start usually after the new year

nba double headers on nbc on sundays aren't bad

as for the cfl, cbc doesn't broadcast games like it did years ago which sucks for ota guys

the good thing is that most sports events are streamed online for free and the quality is getting slowly better

i've watched a few Laker games last season in semi HD streamed so that ain't too shabby

great forum btw well organized
post #24 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 11:02 PM
Veteran

It seems like some sports are cable/sat. only now, e.g., CFL, MLB during the week, but I bet they will eventually come back to the major networks. Look at the NFL- the biggest TV contract in sports, and why? They can pull in the biggest audiences since most games are on the major networks (FOX, NBC), not everyone has the sports channels. The CFL will come back to CBC or CTV one day. Also, with the advent of more sub-channels we could possibly see more NHL during the week. And don't forget, what happens when the real games begin (i.e., the playoffs), where are they broadcasted on? NHL = CBC HD/NBC HD, MLB = FOX HD, NFL = FOX HD. So I'm happy to get the occasional HD game on the weekend, and then lots during playoff times, a beter picture than cab./sat., and FREE!!!

CHEERS!

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #25 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-09-03, 01:57 PM

NASCAR - the first dozen or so Spint Cup races of the season are on Fox, the next dozen on TNT, the third dozen on ESPN, and the last dozen (or so) are on ABC. If a race is rain delayed or postponed (which happened a lot this year) it may be broadcast on TNT/ESPN/ESPN2 instead of Fox/ABC.

This year TSN picked up the TNT/ESPN broadcasts; and the two which were on TSN2 came during the free preview. In the past SPEED (Canada) has also shown the Cup races. (SPEED also has lots of pre/post-race coverage.) Practice, qualifying and the Nationwide and Truck races are sometimes broadcast, sometimes not (or are tape delayed until middle of the night or middle of the week).
post #26 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-09-06, 12:02 PM
Veteran

Sports on CHCH - Channel Zero

Since the take over of CHCH by Channel Zero, the programming format has changed to news and movies. However, the programming manager for CHCH/Ch 0, commented in the Hamilton Spectator, that they could also run sports... Who knows what will happen, but CHCH is now promoting itself as "Canada's Superstation" , so maybe they could end up like a WGN, WTBS, and show a weekly game of the Blue Jays, Tiger-Cats, McMaster Mauraders, Leafs, or dare I say..., Hamilton Coyotes?

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #27 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-09-07, 03:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
so maybe they could end up like a WGN, WTBS, and show a weekly game of the Blue Jays, Tiger-Cats, McMaster Mauraders, Leafs, or dare I say..., Hamilton Coyotes?
  • If the Blue Jays games are too pricey for CBC, I don't see Channel Zero being able to afford them
  • Forget the Tiger-Cats, as long as the CFL is exclusive to TSN.
  • Assuming that nobody else has broadcast rights, McMaster Mauraders would be a natural fit.
  • Ditto for the Hamilton Tigers, but I don't see an NHL franchise happening in Hamilton. What is more likely is a franchise in a new WHA, should the NHLPA commit suicide and strike again.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #28 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-09-09, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Universal sports has lots of odd ball stuff liek rowing , swiming, vollyball, track and feild etc
Universal also carries a lot of cycling for those that are interested. Right now they are showing the Vuelta a Espana, which is one of the grand tours along with the Tour de France, and the World Championships are at the end of the month. Back when I was on cable the only cycling was the Tour de France on OLN and they didn't show any of the other big races.

The down side of Universal is a pretty poor picture quality a lot of the time.
post #29 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-09-19, 11:48 AM
Veteran

Saturday Sept 19th, besides all-sports-all-the-the-time channel 2.2, we have...
  • WGRZ NBC
    • LPGA golf
    • US college football
  • WIVB CBS
    • US college football
  • CBLT CBC
    • Rowing
    • Mountain biking
    • Triathlon
    • Equestrian
  • WKBW ABC
    • not 1, but 2 US college football games
  • WUTV FOX
    • MLB baseball

And on Sunday we have...
  • WGRZ NBC
    • LPGA golf
    • NFL football
  • WIVB CBS
    • NFL football
  • WKBW ABC
    • NASCAR racing
  • WUTV FOX
    • NFL football
CFTO and CITY will each duplicate one of the NFL broadcasts on the US networks. Nice for those whose can't get Buffalo.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #30 of 280 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 12:26 PM

I survived without watching golf on Thursdays and Fridays so I think you can also (insert your sports)

Actually, I had not watched much of The Golf Channel since Rogers moved it to digital. I had boxes but I seriously disliked the use of it especially when it came to recording stuff. I don't think I miss TGC a single bit.

There are still enough weekend coverage as noted. Not much LPGA, no Euro Tour nor Nationwide Tour. I relocated my antenna so I could receive the networks >95% of time to be PVR-worthy.

The key is move on to HD and don't look back. Quality is better than quantity when it comes to watching sports. The networks' coverage is usually half decent or of some significance - which is like a 'screening' procedure...

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.