You Know You're An OTA Addict When... - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-20, 05:00 PM

When you dream...

When you dream they appear ghosted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-20, 07:04 PM

You Know You're An OTA Addict When... you visit digitalhome more than once per Hour.

You purchase a new antenna or make a new one every month.

You have at least 3 CECB boxes for tests.

You upgrade you entire coax just for tests.

You thought about putting RG-11 everywhere in the house.

You check the internet everyday on new OTA channels in your area like WNMN.

You read Fybush.com religiously every Monday morning.
post #33 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-21, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

- when you read a story that uses the verb coax (i.e. "He coaxed her into his boogie-van.") and you cannot help but think of it as the noun "coax" (i.e. coaxial cable), in which case the story would be something kinda weird...

post #34 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-25, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

- when the term "Hacked and Stacked" does not remind you of the bikini chick in Scary Movie or of an old Russ Meyer film
post #35 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-25, 11:12 PM
Veteran

....when

...you search for and browse in material supplier/scrap/recycle yards more than in big box stores

...you cut whole trees down in your yard to see if reception improves a little when the wind comes up

...you actually consider rewiring your house to eliminate electrical noise which you think might be slighlty affecting reception on some channel

...you receive comments nearly every day from neighbors saying "...why dont you just get satellite like me..."

...you exchange e-mails/PM's with otherwise strangers more than your friends or collegues, just to arrange an exchange, rental, borrowing, or whatever of OTA gear that might help you or the other

....you look for not only A/B switches, but A/B/C/D...switches for the most effecient comparison of multiple set-ups

...90% of your internet downloading over limit is concentrated on OTA
post #36 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 12:34 AM
Veteran

Thumbs up See the Antenna?

You point out antennas to others when you see them within movies/TV shows, e.g., Simpsons, King of Queens, and the classic Flintstones.

Remember the episode when Fred and Barney knocked down every antenna in town (rodeo style with a lasso snagging the antennas- Yee-Haw!) to stop some show from being broadcasted, and then had to put them back up again?

Cheers!

P.S. Yes, I posted twice in this thread- so yes, I definitely need help.

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #37 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 01:18 AM

Your spouse just sighs "not another antenna!" when a package arrives in the mail, and you feel like a kid at Christmas.
post #38 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 05:56 AM

....when your friends are due any minute to whisk you away for a 3 day camping trip, but you insist on dragging your antenna over top of camping gear and sticking it outside the front door to pull in enough signal on Syracuse's WSYR to get a few pics of the station before leaving. (As my friend puts it, I was worried I'd be in "Syracuse withdrawal" that weekend.....three days without my usual tropo!)
post #39 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 02:05 PM
Veteran

Talking We're Camping Where?

You plan your camping trip itinerary around TVFool OTA maps.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #40 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 07:55 PM

You regularly read the OTA reception results threads for Ottawa, and SeaTac/Vancouver but you live in the GTA.
post #41 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-27, 08:40 PM
Veteran

You have no idea of the outcome of the Grey Cup game.
post #42 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-28, 12:48 PM

when..... while on vacation in Europe

You are in complete Awe of all the antenna's on roof tops.

When you wife asks you if you like the architecture of the buildings you are taking pictures of.. and you lie... yes.... when really it is just picturecs of how the cables run down the walls.

In each country you visit you ask about their conversion to digital.

You start trouble shooting reception issues for someone in a dffierent country that you are visiting.

You explain how to properly ground an antenna to someone in a foregin country when he complains about how a lightening strike fried the tuner in his tv.
post #43 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-29, 06:38 PM

You know You're an OTA Addict when...

Aliens in UFOs visit your house just to check out and admire your immense collection of various TV antennas.

You help customers in Fry's electronics pick out a better antenna than the one they were looking at, while explaining the difference between analog ERP and digital ERP, and why VHF-Hi is a major DTV issue!

You put up an outside antenna just to start a fight with your Home Owners Association, knowing they will lose outright!

You can look at an antenna on the roof and quote the manufacturer, model, and gain specs.

You seriously consider building a QBGH because you can get maybe 1 more dBi of gain, and you care less what the neighbors might think.

You have actually used "ladder twin lead" in order to get the lowest dB loss per foot!

You can remember when UHF in the USA included channel 83.

You can remember the first TV you had was black and white, full of vacuum tubes, and only received channels 2 through 13 VHF. And...if the President was on TV, then all you had left to watch was PBS!

You know all of your current local stations call letters, assigned frequency, and ERPs for DTV, and you can quote from memory what the old analog frequency and ERP was!

The signal strength button for your DTV receiver box will no longer work due to repeated pushing.

You hear someone say something about "Earl" and you think about an ariel.
post #44 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-30, 07:33 PM

When the term "Fiddler on the Roof" brings up an image of a guy fiddling with an antenna on his roof and not a violin.

Here is the original for the folks not familiar with the early 70's movie

Topol's "If I were a rich man" probably fits well in here too

post #45 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-09-02, 03:45 AM
Veteran

You put your 4nec2 antenna simulation studies on hold to check on the wildfire threat to Mt Wilson,
including downloading MODIS IR "hot spot" detection reports for GoogleEarth overlay, searching
higher and yon for meaningful, believable status reports and continuing to track progress of
Hurricane Jemina due to hit Cabo San Lucas (S tip of Baja Calif) tomorrow, cuz we need the rain
to snuff out the fires....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.