You Know You're An OTA Addict When... - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-17, 08:21 AM

Talking My NeigHbours tHinks I'm nUts ANyway

1. Constantly going on my roof to "adjust" the mast on my poor little tripod while ignoring chores around the house
  1. Telling co-workers about free HDTV and my apparent addiction to it (better than cigarettes unless you fall of of your tower/roof)
  1. Surfing websites for OTA info, Trop Scat info, pricing on amps, rotor's, dreaming of what my ultimate setup will be
  1. Constantly bothering the great people of this forum who contributed so much info that newbie's like me keep harrassing them for more
  1. Proud that I don't subscribe to Bell ExpressucksVu anymore nor do I engage in illegal FTA
  1. Wish that our CRTC would issue $40.00 rebate cheque's like our American counterparts to the south

just another waco in the neighbourhood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-17, 01:01 PM
Veteran

You'd rather watch an infomercial from some station 200 miles away than prime time programming from local stations.

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #18 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-17, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

- You watch an analogue tropo channel fade in and out for 2 hours, 17 minutes, and 23 seconds of horrible late night infomercials just to find out the station ID!

post #19 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-17, 03:02 PM
Veteran

Talking You Know You're An OTA Addict When...

Now, regularly climb a 40' tower to make 'improvements.' Previously, couldn't climb a step ladder to change a light bulb.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #20 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-17, 06:10 PM

You come home after a hot day at work (today) and check this site for news even before you crack open a cold beer
post #21 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-19, 01:22 AM

You take a day off from school so you can keep working on your homemade GH antenna (yes this was me today...)
post #22 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-19, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Variants of some previous posts:

- you see a shopping cart and wonder if cutting it up would give you a good reflector mesh for your GH

- you see a pile of angle-iron and wonder if you could build a tower out of it

- you wonder if your kids' game joystick could be rigged to control a rotor and electric tilter

- you grimace every time you see the term "HD Antenna" on any retail sales material

- you read TV broadcasting articles just to see if OTA is mentioned

- you get steamed when OTA is not mentioned in the above
post #23 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-19, 05:00 PM
Veteran

...You've got a turkey going on the BBQ, and you speculate that the rotisserie would get a lot more use as a rotor.

...You've contemplated the logistics for a reception rig that would violate several hundred federal aviation regulations (CAR or FAA) http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...206#post550206

...You've sent an email to an OTA station Engineering Department. Double addict if they replied back, and you've introduced them to join this forum.

...You monitor several weather services to find out which one has a forecast more favourable for tropo.

...While clearing out your parents' basement you come across a pair of snowshoes, and decide to keep them for those winter treks across the roof (joking - please don't try this).

...You think the phrase "getting caught in the Crossfire" has something to do with antenna installations gone bad.

...You can barely open a web browser and you're not quite sure what email is, but you've somehow managed to get 4nec2 installed on your PC.

This is fun!
cheers.
post #24 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-19, 05:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
- you read TV broadcasting articles just to see if OTA is mentioned

- you get steamed when OTA is not mentioned in the above
Actually we now read them to see if some guy name Jon has been used as a source, and get steamed if he isn't.
post #25 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-19, 09:43 PM

you know all the local television station call letters and there transmitter locations.

When going on family treks and your child can name the styles and types of antenna's. (My son's favorite is still the Parabolic style)

roof mounted 35ft UHF Antennas Direct XG91, VHF Delhi VIP 302SR, RC 6292, Tii Coaxial Lightning Surge Protection
post #26 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-19, 11:31 PM
Veteran

...when you've had no less than three strangers knock on your door so far this summer to ask you about your ganged CM-4228's on the roof.
post #27 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-19, 11:43 PM
Rookie

...you wonder when antenna rotators will go on sale...
post #28 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-20, 03:40 AM

you go to the st lawrence river and the highlight of the trip for you is how many canadian channels you can get with your homemade antenna

Last edited by smiles233; 2009-08-20 at 12:35 PM.
post #29 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-20, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

- you know what a balun is, and how to macgyver one from coax that works better than commercial ones
post #30 of 243 (permalink) Old 2009-08-20, 12:41 PM

Your HTPC is more advanced than your Workstation PC.

Bill
My blog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.