Ideas for DTV Sub-Channels in Canada? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I saw a cable system in Mexico that carries a digital music service, similar to Galaxie. However, they use only one channel, using a ton of subchannels for different music channels. I think there were over 20 subchannels. There was no picture transmission, unlike Galaxie (at least on Rogers).
Omni TV from Toronto on 64-1 is already doing something similar. If you switch to the french audio channel you get AM680 news radio station. It's not a subchannel, but it would probably get more notice if they did move it to a proper subchannel. I agree it would a be very good use of the subchannels and just adds more value content for next to no cost (assuming the TV station and radio stations are owned by the same company)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 10:43 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
It would certainly be an interesting interim option while Canada sorts out its long term digital radio solution after the apparent failure of DAB. It would be cool if PSIP data was used to transmit the name of the current song/program.

The question is, would the cable cos then be required to include the audio channel in their digital music package, though I believe some have already started including local FM radio stations as a replacement for cable FM.
post #48 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Omni TV from Toronto on 64-1 is already doing something similar. If you switch to the french audio channel you get AM680 news radio station. It's not a subchannel, but it would probably get more notice if they did move it to a proper subchannel.
That's not just on digital either, they carry that on their analog service (including on their London repeater) with 680 News on the SAP audio channel.

post #49 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 02:00 PM
Veteran

IIRC, Galaxie is run by CBC.

I would imagine however that Galaxie is only licenced for distribution by BDU services. It would not be a logical choice for the TV band because of it's business model - no advertising. As well, there would be justifiable opposition from conventional radio broadcasters, which would prevent it.

With regards to carrying out-of-market radio stations as a DTV subchannel, that would encounter the same resistance.
post #50 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 02:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko View Post
With regards to carrying out-of-market radio stations as a DTV subchannel, that would encounter the same resistance.
Out of market, yes, but they could carry local radio stations to increase the sound quality and increase their market share.
post #51 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-24, 02:07 PM
Veteran

Absolutely,... and I actually won't be surprised in the least if it happens here in Canada, especially considering the amount of media centralization in this country.

cheers.
post #52 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-26, 12:17 AM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Since ATSC allows multiple audio channels, on say Spanish, put a descriptive video feed and on another language put VoicePrint (a reading service for the Blind/Print handicapped. VoicePrint is a national service.

As for OTA radio broadcasts, a separate subchannel with the "locals" on it would be a great addition. Apartments are brutal for getting proper OTA radio signals.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #53 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-26, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
It would certainly be an interesting interim option while Canada sorts out its long term digital radio solution after the apparent failure of DAB. It would be cool if PSIP data was used to transmit the name of the current song/program.

The question is, would the cable cos then be required to include the audio channel in their digital music package, though I believe some have already started including local FM radio stations as a replacement for cable FM.
Maybe that's a good way to go. Put ATSC audio tuners in cars... listen to HNIC in the car.
post #54 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-27, 01:19 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Once Mobile DTV comes out you will be able to do just that.

Mobile OTA DTV for North America
post #55 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-27, 11:42 PM

can anyone please explain to me why the CRTC is so against competition and innovation? what's with the whole "only one channel per genre" thing?
post #56 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 07:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
Maybe that's a good way to go. Put ATSC audio tuners in cars... listen to HNIC in the car.
As Stampeder has pointed out, there is a separate standard being set for mobile DTV. This item should be question zero of the ATSC FAQ...
Q) Why isn't ATSC used for mobile use, like car radios?
A) Because ATSC was designed for stationary use, and will simply not lock onto a signal while in motion. FM stations do not want to give up the in-car listener market.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #57 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-31, 01:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingtailedFox View Post
can anyone please explain to me why the CRTC is so against competition and innovation? what's with the whole "only one channel per genre" thing?
It is not that they don't want it, it is the pay specialty channels that doesn't want these "secondary" broadcast channels to compete with them, and have convinced the CRTC to control that..
post #58 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-31, 02:48 PM
Veteran

It is kind of like the way the Leafs and Sabers don't want a team in Hamilton as it would affect their profitability (especially for the Sabers). If a team in Hamilton causes the Sabres to go bankrupt does the new team benefit the league as a whole?

Now if the new team can appease the Leafs and Sabres and the market is big enough to support a third team then the league benefits by having a new team and the people of Hamilton benefit most of all.

Now I don't want to turn this into a should there be a team in Hamilton debate (that is off topic), I am just trying to paint a picture of why the CRTC does what it does. As consumers we want variety and feel competition is always a good thing yet when our favorite business go bankrupt we wonder why. While some competition is good, too much competition can be bad and can end up being just a shell game.
post #59 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-11-22, 02:47 AM

Lightbulb Is the CBC News Channel a future OTA possibility?

I was chatting with my neighbour one evening as we were exercising and commented on my HD OTA reception having recently added a new antenna (he had previously visited to view my TV picture while displaying an HD broadcast). He responded that he would consider HD OTA reception if the CBC broadcast their news Channel OTA! (He is presently a cable BDU subscriber). I wonder how many other folks may consider this if given that possibilty? The BBC in the UK include their BBC News 24 Channel on the UK digital OTA UHF multiplexes nationally! I guess the equivalent in Canada would be to use a CBC subchannel e.g. A future Channel 9.2 as referred to in the case of CBRT in Calgary.

Anyone think that this would fly? Probably seems extremely optimistic right now!

Last edited by Billsmith; 2009-11-22 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Tuning up my grammar!
post #60 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-11-22, 12:34 PM

I think that there would need to be an amendment to their Newsworld licence, if they were going to boadcast OTA. I would surely accept Newsworld on a CBC HD subchannel.

On another note, you gotta love the cable and satellite companies, that never included an OTA tuner in their boxes, like the U.S.companies, to keep competition out. Maybe this could be a compromise to the T.V. tax, if the CRTC does not give the OTA stations money from the sat/cable companies. The CRTC could allow OTA stations to add subchannels like Newsworld or Regional Sports feeds to augment their incomes and allow direct competition to the Cable/Satellite companies. This is a better option than a T.V. tax.

Winegard PR8800, YA1713, Zenith7777 Preamp, 42" Aquos 120hz, Samsung UP5000 Blu Ray/HDDVD, C/Ku Band, Directv H21, 22.

Tags
canada , crtc , dtv , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.