Ideas for DTV Sub-Channels in Canada? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 01:38 PM

Point taken Argilo - I was incorrect in phrasing it the way I did.

I think what I was trying to articulate is that it IS part of CBC - and they DO use a lot of the same news resources as the main network and as such, in my opinion, they would not even exist without the CBC (funded in part by taxes). I also doubt they would even be profitable without the already funded and established CBC News Department in operation (which is also partly funded by our tax dollars).

In any case, I DO think it would make a lot of sense to allow them to sub it OTA.

OTA CM4228-CM4221 Combined DTVPal DVR AppleTV 40GB Harmony 659 / 880
Unibody MBP 15 c2d 2.66 Mac Mini 2009 iPad 32
iPhone 3GS 2 Apple TV 40GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 02:30 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
The risk of CBC-NW (or any other cable channel for that matter) broadcasting OTA is they could loose their fee for carrage as the signal would then be publicly available. I wish the CRTC would change the rules and prohibit stations on basic service from receiving a fee. Even better would be to only allow OTA channels on basic service. This would give OTA channels another advantage over cable channels.
post #18 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 03:06 PM

CRTC should force Cable giants to provide OTA for Free. I wondering who crying poor then [=.

I do hope to see some sort of CBC2. It doesnt have to be Newsworld. Just maybe a timeshifted CBC. Like Normal CBC +1 hour.

Read ya l8r,
Al

OTA: DB8 + Y5 2-6 + CM777. FTA: 30W + 72W + 87W + 97W

post #19 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 03:16 PM

I don't see putting Newsworld on an OTA sub-channel as cannibalizing from BDU revenue. And I agree that it should be carried OTA.

However, CBC may have exclusivity agreements with BDU's regarding carriage. Or, rules within the broadcast license may be in place prohibiting OTA carriage--or both.

If the stations make a case that OTA carriage does in fact cannibalize from BDU revenue, then fee-for-carriage will/should never be approved for local stations.
post #20 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 11:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
One of the things I find fascinating is that for years conventional broadcasters complained about the dilution of viewers due to all these new cable channels.

When I was a kid, we had 11 channels on cable so CBC was 9.1% of my choices, CTV was 9.1% etc.

On cable today, that number is way lower - may 3% each on most analog cable packages, probably close to 1% of digital cable packages.

Meanwhile on OTA, CBC and CTV represents about 4% of my choices. By adding a subchannel like Newsworld or Newsnet, it would be about 8%, almost fully back to the 1970s landscape.
Depending on how you count the CBC can be a lot more of your channel choices, although the programming is repetitive. I appear to get 7 CBC affliates in SD plus one in HD. Then there is Newsworld in both SD and HD. And Bold (formerly Country Canada) is also a CBC channel. And then there are the SRC channels. If you count this way I think that more than 1% of my choices today are the CBC.
post #21 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-29, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenstu View Post
"You won't pay us for carriage? Fine. We'll start broadcasting TSN-HD OTA and maybe people won't need you service anymore..."
Now THIS would make sense.
THAT is good for OTA-ers and consumers... but would it go well?
post #22 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-29, 10:26 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
The BDU's own the ear of the CRTC & Industry Canada

I believe that the CRTC and possibly Industry Canada has already stated that Canadian broadcasters will be allowed only one OTA channel allotment, with no plans to allow sub-channels without strict conditions to protect the cable/sat industrys. When I find it, I will post it...

edit -->Found it:

See: Multicast programming services at http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2002/pb2002-31.htm

Quote:
.a policy decision that would authorize each over-the-air station to transmit what would amount to four new programming services along with its main over-the-air television service [would] have a catastrophic impact on Canadian pay television and specialty services, particularly if the only limit on those multicast services was that they would have to "add to, supplement or be related to" the over-the-air television station, as suggested by the CAB.

Here's another link found within this forum:
Ideas for DTV Sub-Channels in Canada?

Last edited by ota_canuck; 2009-05-29 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added references
post #23 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-30, 10:38 AM

Quote:
.a policy decision that would authorize each over-the-air station to transmit what would amount to four new programming services along with its main over-the-air television service [would] have a catastrophic impact on Canadian pay television and specialty services, particularly if the only limit on those multicast services was that they would have to "add to, supplement or be related to" the over-the-air television station, as suggested by the CAB.
Interesting. Those are the words of Pelmorex Communications Inc, owner of The Weather Network and MétéoMédia. They must be worried about losing business to OTA weather subchannels like some U.S. broadcasters have. The CRTC does agree with what Pelmorex thinks:

Quote:
Their positive contribution can only be maximized, however, if the services are truly innovative and non-duplicative of existing services. The Commission shares the concerns of Pelmorex and others in this regard...
post #24 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-30, 08:17 PM

They can make like "The Weather Network OTA" channel, it would differ from cable/sat in some ways.
post #25 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-05-31, 09:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablo View Post
They can make like "The Weather Network OTA" channel, it would differ from cable/sat in some ways.
It would have to be significantly different to be considered "truly innovative and non-duplicative of existing services."

One service that I think would fit this and be very useful is to show traffic cameras. It could be set to refresh every second or so to minimize the bandwidth consumed by the channel. For advertising they could display static ads between cameras.
post #26 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-06-05, 01:15 AM

It is to bad the CRTC seems so against OTA and allowing for some inovation.

Newsworld would be an appropriate addtion.

I think that they could also add audio only feeds such as CBC Radio 3, which is is currenly only available on the web, without useing much avaiable bandwidth. subject to the creative folks at the CRTC approving it.
post #27 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 10:34 AM
Veteran

Interesting Use of a Sub-Channel

In the Ottawa Station Status Thread, x4mer noticed that WSYR Syracuse has an interesting sub-channel. It shows a combination of Doppler radar, popular programming from the main network time-shifted and other unique programming. I thought this was an interesting use of a sub-channel. It would be interesting to see other stations do this.

For example CBC could:
  • time-shift their news by an hour or two,
  • show Wheel of Fortune at 7:00,
  • show a secondary hockey game on Saturday nights, and
  • during the playoffs, show the regularly scheduled programming for those who aren't interested in Hockey.
I am sure there are many other things that could be done.

This channel likely wouldn't be on basic service, but could be a digital channel on cable and would certainly be available OTA.

Any thoughts?
post #28 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 11:05 AM

Playoff hockey on .1 and regular TV shows on .2

That's actually a really great idea.

But I would think CBC is too dumb or cheap to do that OR...

The CRTC would come up with some reason not to allow it.

Reallygood idea though.
post #29 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 01:25 PM
BLT

The only problem with it as I see,is that subchannels will decrease the allotted bandwidth on the main channel. The more you add to the main channel will decrease picture quality on the main channel.

I like the concept tho,but some stations like WUTV and WNYO having subchannels is really a waste of bandwidth IMHO. If picture quality is a high priority,like me, than too many subchannels is a no go,especially if it is just duplicating the main channel.

Bob
post #30 of 176 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 01:27 PM
Veteran

I though of one this morning:
Flyer TV.

It circulates static images of this weeks sales flyers.
It can be easily local in nature, and more or less pays for itself.

Tags
canada , crtc , dtv , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.