Ideas for DTV Sub-Channels in Canada? - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 04:05 PM
Veteran

What they should do is provide it free OTA and for Pay through a BDU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-11-13, 05:25 PM

Ideas for DTV Sub-Channels in Canada?

CBC, as a public broadcaster, should make available the News Network as a sub-channel.

Edit: didn't realize that this was page 161 of the thread and it's probably been mentioned. My self-entitled stance still stands.
post #168 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-11-15, 10:23 PM

I know were wasting our breath about sub channels here in Canada but I agree CBC should offer NewsWorld on one and they must have a crap load of retro stuff brand it as duh CBC Retro as another subchannel.

Also we get a CTV2 why not add CTV1 as a subchannel.??

post #169 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-11-16, 11:34 AM

How about an all-day Shania Twain subchannel?
post #170 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-11-28, 03:53 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badget
CBC, as a public broadcaster, should make available the News Network as a sub-channel.
I would say that BC's not-for-profit Knowledge Network, which has been available free of charge on cable TV and satellite, should also be available OTA if it is affordable, even if on a sub-channel.
post #171 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-11-28, 04:18 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Posts that were speculating upon the idea of there being censorship of Canadian TV by authorities are off topic for this thread so have been censored/deleted.

My advice is to take up that topic in the following thread located outside of the OTA Forum:

The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread
post #172 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-11-30, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
I would say that BC's not-for-profit Knowledge Network, which has been available free of charge on cable TV and satellite, should also be available OTA if it is affordable, even if on a sub-channel.
Knowledge Network as a sub-channel on CBC Vancouver sounds like a great idea! Perhaps the provincial government and Knowledge could split the costs? Knowledge would have to fund raise due to their limited budget.
post #173 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-12-01, 12:45 AM

What I'd like to see is a "use it or lose it" ruling for Broadcasters BEFORE the channel repack. BDU operated broadcasters act as a barrier to independents entering the marketplace, just like opening up the internet and cell phone business the broadcasters could stand to see some competition and their atrocious mismanagement of broadcast spectrum is ripe for the picking. They claim they don't make money but a look south of the border at small markets like Pittsburgh, Columbus etc says there is money to be made.

It's pretty pathetic that Canada's largest TV market which has a population that is ranked as the 4th largest metropolitian TV market in North America has fewer channels than a middling US market.

Either utilize the spectrum efficiently or lose it and be forced to channel share with any newcomer willing to play by the CRTC/Industry Canada's rules, I'm sure there are a few people like Google, Vice, Huffpo etc that would jump at the chance.
post #174 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-12-01, 03:43 PM

In regards to BC's Knowledge Network: if TVO can do it, why can't BC?
post #175 of 176 (permalink) Old 2015-12-02, 12:04 AM
Veteran

Do what? TVO barely wants to be OTA, so why should knowledge network spend money on OTA?
post #176 of 176 (permalink) Old 2017-01-05, 10:39 PM

There doesn't seem to be anyone on the industry side interested in pushing OTA in Canada. As many of you have said, we can't really look to our traditional networks to push for it. They're broadcasters by hobby. CTV, City and Global are directly owned/related to companies selling cable/satelite subscriptions. They only operate (an ever shrinking) OTA footprint through an inheritance from purchasing once independent companies. Even worse, our tax payer funded outlets, like TVO and CBC, have followed suit with transmitter shutdowns in a bid to save some pennies in their budgets. Independents and foreign companies have a hard time with the CRTC, who regulate which channels can exist, who can run them and how they operate. It's really disapointing the CRTC has been so apathetic towards OTA. We're in the midst of a growing base of consumers saying no to cable subscriptions and yes to OTT VOD. Instead of offering OTA as a compliment for network shows, some sports and local news, the CRTC is just willing to have those people drop out of the Canadian media space. However, I'm hopeful that we'll see some change in the bigger markets. We're getting to the point where an independent attempting to launch a new cable channel is the equivalent of trying to launch a new print outlet in 2017.

Yes TV runs a late night branded block of programming from Buzzr, a minor US DTV net that airs ancient game shows. I wonder if they'd be interested in operating a Canadian equivalent up here? I know the CRTC says they want "innovative" sub-channels, but with cable channel genre protection being dead, there's little reason to keep that mindset outside of wanting to dissuade OTA usage. I guess their issue would be supplying Cancon for that, since a church ministry isn't exactly going to have a library of relevant content.

We have a couple of companies with large libraries perfect for subchannel catalog usage. CBC has produced literal decades worth of material that isn't getting play. Same with DHX. That stuff isn't in rotation on their main channels and wouldn't find much of an audience on streaming platforms.

Tags
canada , crtc , dtv , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.