OTA Clone, Coat Hanger, and Junk Antennas - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-18, 07:41 PM
Rookie

Clone vs. CM4221

The workmanship of the clone I saw at one of those Matheson/Dixie stores vs. the genuine article is night-and-day.

The clone 4-bay antenna had an F connector soldered to a circuit board in such a s***ty way that it would encourage the solder joints to come loose, crack the PCB traces and be useless. My buddy paid $40 for this clone a few years ago and I tried soldering it up for him, but gave up.

We bought a pair of CM4221s and I'm picking up my Buffalo stations crystal clear from Mississauga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-26, 01:36 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Recently a home furnishings wholesale club in Canada (not Costco) has started offering a cheap, flimsy clone 4-bay UHF antenna at a low price on their web site.

It is a usually reputable company that unfortunately chose a crappy antenna to try and sell. I'm not posting the link or giving that company free publicity here for that inferior product.

We've had 2 enquiries about it in one day, and I'm happy to clarify that it is garbage. Potential buyers should get a proper antenna.
post #78 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-26, 04:44 PM

why buy a 30 dollar clone when eventually you might have to cough up 80-100 bucks for a pre amp? might as well pay a extra 30 for the real deal for mississauga, Also I see the clone antennas are only good for UHF channels 21-69 on the box, the CM4221HD is from 14-69 which is Fox 29, E channel and CBC here. Also I know even the CM can grab some VHF hi channels.

post #79 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-26, 09:23 PM

Clones are a waste of money

Well i started this post awhile back glad to see people are getting educated! Many people i know have bought clones and had to buy a genuine antenna after! The lastest clone i have seen from the company we dont mention here and also a few others is the 8 bay with 2 four bays and a switch inbetween! That just makes me wonder! a 4 bay channel master and 8 bay channel master only has a 3dB gain between them so if you got 2 channel master 4 bays together and called it an 8 bay with a switch inbetween them would you not lose 3.5db at best? Some of these clones are unreal at least make an 8 bay one piece and no switch! Just shows you how they try and fool people!
post #80 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-27, 01:08 PM
Veteran

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)
Hmmm... Maybe they can promote that switch as a "switchable attenuator".

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #81 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 12:14 PM
Rookie

Newbie got caught by them

Blundered into Dixie Matheson store and bought a $20 clone.. then realized I wasn't getting the lower VHF range so stupidly went back and the guy convinced me a Yagi style would get everything... so bought a second clone for $65... but haven't opened it.. Thinking I will exchange it for a CM but which kind? Anyone who lives in South Brampton (10 & steeles) with any thoughts much appreciated. If I buy an 8 bay CM and point it at Buffalo will that still get the CN tower stuff? Or should I buy 2 cm 4221's and stack them with one at CN and one at Buffalo... Any thoughts much appreciated. Order a DTVPal so will be parting ways with Rogers asap...
post #82 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 12:24 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Angry More trouble at Dixie & Matheson

lagerman, I've been hearing that lots of people are being sold garbage antennas in those shops at Dixie & Matheson.

In your case here's what to do:
  1. take back all that stuff for a refund
  2. read through the thread for your area (in this case the ON - Mississauga, Brampton, Bramalea, Port Credit - OTA thread)
  3. go with the same gear that your nearby neighbours are having success with (probably a CM4221HD)
  4. go pay a visit to our site sponsor http://www.saveandreplay.com in Mississauga (near Kennedy and Courtneypark) for your new gear
cheers
post #83 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 01:27 PM

lagerman, Save and Replay is your closest and easiest grab. If you're returning your stuff at Dixie/Matheson - get to the east side of the intersection - Angel Electronics sells CM, but if you want an 8-bay, better check with them over the phone. I think CM4221HD is your appropriate choice.
post #84 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 03:07 PM
Rookie

thanks stampeder & name777 for your replies

Angel E. is where I got the antennas. The 4221 clone I have already used so no return there but it was only $20... a cheap education... The other was $65 and still NIB so an exchange for a CM might go... Will do as you advise and spend the money on a CM... after I read and figure out which one... Thanks again....
post #85 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 04:04 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Time and Money better spent

A simple question for those from the area: what is the typical time it takes to drive from the Dixie & Matheson stores over to Save and Replay on Kennedy?
post #86 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 04:50 PM

I used to work around that area...It takes less than 10 minutes.
post #87 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-28, 07:12 PM
Veteran

lagerman, you don't need the lower vhf range, everything is avalable in DTV in UHF and Only 9 from Toronto will be high VHF after aug 31 2011.
I always reconnmmend the 4228 for its the best UHF antenna for getting high VHF.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #88 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-29, 12:04 AM

Driving

stampeder,

Dixie & Matheson area is very close to Kennedy & Derry. Wouldn't take long at all to go from one place to the other. As an added bonus, after going to SaveAndReplay, just head north and after a few lights you will see the Lindt chocolate warehouse on the west side, and it has a "factory outlet store" inside
post #89 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-29, 01:27 AM
Rookie

close your good eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by zounder1 View Post
Make Magazine did a video showing how to make your own OTA antenna. It is actually pretty nice looking. Though I'll stick with buying premade ones, I figure some folks might enjoy the challenge. (And low cost... some wood and 6 coat hangar and a few screws...)]
Say, this coat hanger contraption look slightly dangerous. You could be crawling around in the actic and scratch yourself on those chopped-off edges.. or poke your eye out
post #90 of 248 (permalink) Old 2009-07-29, 08:41 AM
Rookie

Save & Replay if I can

Thanks again for info. I had not heard of Save & Replay when I got into this (thru another site). Just checked out their website and it is clearly very informative and helpful. I would rather deal with them. If I can get a refund I will, and then make the drive to Derry & Kennedy....actually closer...damn! I am a little skeptical a place like A. E. will give me a refund though...even unopened box... but will try.

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-07-29 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.