OTA Clone, Coat Hanger, and Junk Antennas - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-01-31, 03:22 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I tip my hat to mclapp, perhaps the most knowledgeable and experienced 4-bay bowtie reflector builder on the web, who says that building a GH is easier.

When you think about it, if you are building a GH for attic mounting you only have to bend 2 long pieces of stripped solid wire in a specific fashion, attach them to a piece of wood, and then put aluminum foil on a piece of either plywood, strong cardboard, or styrofoam to attach as the reflector.

For outdoor use the need for solid, weather-proof materials makes for a much more involved build.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-01-31, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
For outdoor use the need for solid, weather-proof materials makes for a much more involved build.
My GH10 is attached to south wall of my house.
I constructed a frame using 3/4" cedar nail strips from Home Depot.
It's surprisingly stiff and should weather well. Cheap (under $30 for all parts)
and looks good according to my wife.

The antenna is sheltered and receives little wind load.
If it was attached to a rotor or more exposed I'd probably construct it
out of more stronger and durable materials.

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-01-31 at 08:38 PM.
post #33 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-01-31, 08:39 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, cedar should be fine. Maybe a couple of brushings with decking water sealer might be worth it too.
post #34 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-01-31, 11:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I constructed a frame using 3/4" cedar nail strips from Home Depot.
For better performance, especially during wet weather, you want the driven elements only touching plastic (and as little on that as possible too) instead of wood. The reflector parts on cedar wood are fine.
It sounds like on your build you could do that fairly easily with some quality composite decking (scrap or samples) strips, cut to say 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch by the distance you need to space out the driven elements.

My builds/plans (not the latest models) are located here.
post #35 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-03-11, 10:28 AM
Rookie

I've wanted to try OTA for a while now, and I finally decided to make my own antenna.
Just a tiny fractal deal like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNRZE...eature=related

I couldn't believe it.
City, CTV, Global, CBC, SRC, Omni iI and II, all in HD - and a bunch of others in analog.

I'm thrilled with the results, and I'll be building a Gray-Hoverman this summer.
Also, I'll be telling Rogers to cram it.

Thanks Digital Home!

Oh, I'm at Victoria Park between Danforth and St. Clair. Line of sight to the CN Tower.
post #36 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-03-11, 06:20 PM
Veteran

I analyzed UHF 4-Bay (No Reflector) versions posted by babblin5 and MakeTV
versus CM-4221 & mclapp M4 (if remove Reflectors):
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/4bay
UTube antennas are too small, esp. for reduced UHF Band...and have SWR problems...
Spacing between bowties needs to be much larger than 5-3/4 inches and whiskers
could be longer....

I also posted plans/analysis for 8-10+ dBi gain Zig-Zag antennas for HiVHF band that
I think are perhaps easier to build than the typical LPDA shown in post #1:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/zigzaglpa
post #37 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-03-16, 09:42 PM
Rookie

I'm very new to OTA... I followed this guide today:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/762088...ought_amazing/

I'm in Fonthill so I'm at one of the highest elevations in the peninsula. I wasn't really sure what to expect.

Just sitting in my living room plugged into my HDHomeRun... I was able to scan for 12 digital channels. Got NBC, ABC, CBS, CTV perfectly in HD. No FOX but I hear that's quirky & directional.

I must say I'm blown away. I'm confident enough now that I cancelled my Cogeco this evening. Now I just need to figure out if I want to invest in more than my DIY antenna to get even more programming. Something in the attic should be able to pull much more than this!
post #38 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-03-16, 10:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't know maybe he did come up with that design as well.
As holl_ands recently posted a link to, http://www.coe.montana.edu/ee/rwolff...B_antennas.pdf

the bowtie was first patented in 1898 by Oliver Lodge. The Hoverman, being only 50 years old, is one of dem new fangled ideas, heh.

My builds/plans (not the latest models) are located here.
post #39 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-03-17, 01:46 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Welcome here Jim2CPU, make sure to read through the Niagara thread for several posts from the Fonthill, Fenwick and Welland areas:

ON - Niagara Peninsula - OTA

With a couple of GHs or else 2 mclapp bowties you should have wonderful results pointed at both Buffalo and Toronto.
post #40 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-04-22, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

A reminder to some
post #41 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-04-22, 05:50 PM

For those that use Firefox and have the WOT add-on, you can rate ******** accordingly. WOT is a nice extension in any case.

Although I haven't contributed as much as I would like to digitalhome, I want to support those that made this a great forum. Sorry if I slid off topic a bit.
post #42 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 12:44 AM

Stampeder's OTA channel lists are being posted without citation on other web sites left, right and centre. Not ever a change of font.
post #43 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 01:25 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Thank you Bowenjau for the Firefox browser tip, much appreciated.

randomusername2 and all:
if you see the contents of www.digitalhome.ca posted elsewhere without proper citation please poist the offending URL into the Member Feedback forum of this site so that we can begin a dialogue to resolve the situation. Sadly and irritatingly the company that is the topic of this thread was unwilling to enter into a dialogue with this site to solve the plagiarism and copyright issues, but not all of the web sites have been like that.
cheers

P.S. don't forget about this everyone!
post #44 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 07:47 PM

******** has shown up in google ads on this site while i was using safari on my ipod touch, but using my laptop with firefox I use the adblock extension for them. I don't know if Hugh can contact google and put a stop to ******** or any other company ads showing up here?
post #45 of 241 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 07:51 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

He's been informed of that in the past and unfortunately it wasn't possible to change the Google Ads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.