OTA Clone, Coat Hanger, and Junk Antennas - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 253 (permalink) Old 2010-12-30, 06:46 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

In every case at this site over the past ~6 years that a person beyond suburban range replaced a Lava antenna with a recommended one their reception improved greatly. Lava antennas are junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 253 (permalink) Old 2010-12-30, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
In every case at this site over the past ~6 years that a person beyond suburban range replaced a Lava antenna with a recommended one their reception improved greatly. Lava antennas are junk.
Perhaps, but I use an admittedly less than perfect SBGH and get decent long-range results. Using a CM4221 my results were worse. I have to use any antenna indoors which I agree is not the best for an outdoor antenna but this is Canada for you.
post #153 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 04:35 PM

Lava A230 Antenna (cheap Televes DAT-75 clone)

I just noticed this three pronged yagi at solid signal. The claim is that it covers the full UHF bandwidth. Anyone know of this antenna, or had experience with it?

post #154 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 04:59 PM
Veteran

Its like a cheap Televes DAT-75 clone, with a 91XG driven element. (its even cheaper at SummitSource)
Most clones dont work or last as well as the originals they were based on.(unless modded and beefed up) They always seem to mess them up in someway, heh.

My builds/plans (not the latest models) are located here.
post #155 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 05:04 PM

Yeah, I looked at their other offerings, and they all seem to be "magic", if you know what I mean. What, if anything, would extra booms do, 300hm?

Ah yes, I see which one you're talking about. Looks a bit more rugged. Longer booms and better mounting too.

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-01-02 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Pictured antenna (Televes DAT-75) is NOT junk :)
post #156 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 01:40 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

In case readers are just skimming through these posts and don't know, the photo in Post #155 is of the well respected Televes DAT-75 UHF corner reflector yagi antenna from Spain. The DAT-75 has an integrated balun/preamp module that is quite nifty, and you can see how strong the support structure is for the booms.

The Lava A230 is a cheap knock-off with no support structure for the booms.
post #157 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Last edited by stampeder; Today at 01:40 PM. Reason: Pictured antenna (Televes DAT-75) is NOT junk
Hey, I never called the Televes junk. *Hands on hips*

Concerning the three booms though, do the extras make much difference? In what way? I'm quite intrigued by it. Which elements are active? Three? How are they linked?
post #158 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 09:42 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I meant that anyone not taking care to read your posts might look at the picture and assume that a junk antenna was being shown.
post #159 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-03, 12:13 AM

I know. To quote Cathy Jones on 22 Minutes, "I'm just goofin' around!"
post #160 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-03, 02:10 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Oh okay then. I thought you were goin' all Marg Delahunty on me!
post #161 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-03, 12:24 PM

Wait'll I tell Miss Eulalia about this mix-up on our next park stroll. Poor dear, she's been so short on gossip lately.
post #162 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 07:40 PM
Rookie

LAVA HD2605 Antenna Any Good?

Hi,

Anyone had used this LAVA HD2605 Motorized Outdoor HDTV UHF/VHF Antenna with 20% More Gain?

This is a brand new remote controlled motorized
HDTV/VHF/UHF/FM high gain outdoor antenna. The antenna
comes with a built-in rotor (motor), which can turn a full 360
degrees using the infrared remote control included in the
package.

I e-mailed the supplier, they claimed that this doesn't need to be grounded because the indoor remote control unit is connected to the wall receptacle that is already grounded. I don't feel safe for this .

The advantage is no wiring is need for the rotor, and the price is about $60.

I would not jump in and buy this before getting feed back from anyone from the forum.
post #163 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 07:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
henryc

Have you tried to search this forum about that LAVA antenna? I seem to recall there was another similar post about the LAVA antenna

Or! Maybe I'm just having one of those brainfart moments

And here a promotional? video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYR45...eature=related
If you watch the video closely, It claims "no fuzzy reception" which would indicate an antenna design that was originally designed and geared to analog reception. They have probably put significantly more effort into the tricky marketing techniques than the effort that was afforded to the antenna's design.

Honestly,.. it looks pretty hoakie to me

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital

Last edited by ota_canuck; 2011-01-08 at 08:05 PM. Reason: fixed my promo-video comment
post #164 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 08:57 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

henryc, use the Search This Thread tool to the upper right beside Thread Tools and put in lava as the search term, and you will see that they are junk.
post #165 of 253 (permalink) Old 2011-01-09, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Anyone had used this LAVA HD2605 Motorized Outdoor HDTV UHF/VHF Antenna with 20% More Gain?
I bought a similar antenna once for $20. They aren't that great.

The one I bought was mostly plastic with thin aluminum elements. The included, permenantly attached, cable was very thin, with non-standard (European style?) connectors.

The rotor was also pretty useless. When you pushed the button the antenna started turning in a RANDOM direction. It would reverse when it reached the limit of its rotation.

It has long been replaced with a CM4221HD and is setting in the recycling pile waiting for a trip to the dump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in