OTA Cabling: RG-6, RG-59, RG-11, P3 Hardline, Twin-Lead, Crimping - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 03:38 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I've heard of many uses for it but I don't know its original intent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 09:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that "messenger wire" actually for telephone pole mounting to take the strain off of the conductors when stretched from pole to pole?
Yup, that's the original/real purpose of it: for supporting otherwise unsupported horizontal spans hanging between posts.

Here, I use RG6Q on the primary antenna run from the top of the tower, where there's no margin (well, okay, 0.1dB of margin) to spare. Every little bit helps, or so I like to believe).

post #48 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-23, 02:39 PM

In addition to above: "Messenger" coax is indeed used for aerial installations. It is not necessary to create multiple ground points for cable.

The coax with the "gooey" dialectric is burial cable. The substance assists in keeping the cable water tight should it be slightly damaged.

post #49 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-23, 02:48 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Just a reminder of the official Grounding thread, containing tons of info on that topic:

Grounding OTA / Dish / CATV / Telecom - See Post 1

So at this point we'll not discuss further the grounding of messenger wires and OTA gear in this thread.

cheers
post #50 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-25, 04:26 PM

Location: Montreal (DDO);SBGH Gen1;GH6;Hentenna;Tivax STB-T8 Conv
RG-6 Cable & F Connector Questions

I ran into a problem with RG-6 cable and F connectors.

I always thought there was just one size of F connector and went to our local electronic parts emporium Ė very reasonably priced place with surplus parts such as motors, power supplies, transformers, component parts etc. I found a nice 100í length of RG-6 cable made by Phillips Cable (good name) that was flexible and had something called a quad braid. I selected this and asked for the F connectors to go with it. I wanted the type the CATV installers put on with the knurled end that is easy on your fingers. He showed me several types and I selected the one where the screw-on end gets pushed back on the cable with a special tool that I would need to buy for $15. The sales clerk even showed me how to put one of the connectors on the cable and, this is when the problem occurred Ė it went on briefly but didnít hold. He said the quad cable takes a special connector which they didnít happen to have in stock because there isn't a great demand. I didnít buy the cable because my intention was to customize shorter lengths from it and I was afraid that the connectors would be difficult to find.

a)Did anyone else run into this problem with F connectors and quad cable?
b)Any suggestions on what to look for in good quality RG-6, F connectors and cable connector tools?
c)Does RG-6Q always imply quad cable?

On looking around various home renovation stores I was quite surprised at the variety of F connectors and tools used to install them on cable.

sparky mtl
SBGH Gen 1; Tivax STB-T8 converter
post #51 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-25, 04:50 PM

Compression fittings are much better than screw on ones. If it is only for short runs I would only use regular rg6 as the quad is better for long runs because the shielding offers less loss over long distances.
post #52 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-25, 05:21 PM

i hate tv,
Thanks I'll avoid the screw on type. I guess the quad type F connector is a bit larger in diameter. Any other way to distinguish quad connectors from regular RG-6 connectors?
post #53 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-25, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Any other way to distinguish quad connectors from regular RG-6 connectors?
It depends on the brand of compression fitting, some have blue bands for RG-6, and black bands for RG-6Q and some have no bands at all, heh.
Basically you have to look on the package you buy.

Quote:
He showed me several types and I selected the one where the screw-on end gets pushed back on the cable with a special tool that I would need to buy for $15.
I didnt like the one for $19 and $59 was to much to spend for my limited use, so I made my own, heh.

Only took about 45 minutes to make it from stuff I had lying around. It works quite well.

You do need a correct size tap to make one. That brass bolt is a common toilet bolt with a short piece of copper tubing on the end. That allows it to compress the inside without damaging the center coax wire. The tricky part is drilling and cutting and filing the end where the coax goes in. It has to be large enough to let the coax fit, but narrow enough so the compression fitting doesnt go thru and has a place to rest against the bar for compressing it.

My builds/plans (not the latest models) are located here.
post #54 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-25, 11:22 PM

That explains it. The store I went to kept them loose, in the drawer of a large parts cabinet and, I don't think the sales clerk really knew the difference between the connectors. I do recall seeing red and black connectors but I didn't know the significance of the colours.

I like that homemade affair. It does the job very nicely. I probably have all the bits and pieces to come up with something very similar since I rarely throw anything away.

Thanks for sending the photo and build instructions.

sparky mtl
post #55 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-25, 11:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think the sales clerk really knew the difference between the connectors.
Hmm. Radio Shack ? Or if nothing else, the Radio Shack syndrome. Like I said about the colors, that seems to depend on the manufacturer as far as I can tell. Just like the color coding on the backs of motherboards, there are NO color coding police. (but watch out for dem mattress tag police, heh)

Quote:
I like that homemade affair. It does the job very nicely. I probably have all the bits and pieces to come up with something very similar since I rarely throw anything away.
Yeah, she aint purdy or professional, but she does the job, heh.

Youre welcome.

post #56 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-25, 11:46 PM

I was shopping for that last weekend.

Home Depot have the connectors for Quad Shield and they have the tool (Ideal Brand) but the tool at Addison is the same price $ 30 but you can do also RCA connectors with it. The one at HD just does F -Connectors.

Rona has the same tool like Addison but at $ 47.00. The tool is behind the counter at Addison.

Where did you see Quad shield Rg-6 cable?

Intravino
post #57 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-26, 12:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Where did you see Quad shield Rg-6 cable?
My Home Depot has it on a roll for 34 cents a foot I believe. I got 260 ft (est) of good quality RG-6 Quad Shield (the specs are the same as typical RG-6, which is better than most Quad Shield) at my local flea market auction recently for $7. It may have gone for the minimum bid of $2 typically, but there was another antenna nut there, heh. Fortunately for me, he didnt know quite how good it was, and didnt bid $8, heh.

post #58 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-26, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ohm View Post
Yeah, she aint purdy or professional, but she does the job, heh.
Don't sell yourself short! That looks great to me...going to try one myself! Never thought about building one. I'm good at following other people's plans...lol.
post #59 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-26, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i hate tv View Post
If it is only for short runs I would only use regular rg6 as the quad is better for long runs because the shielding offers less loss over long distances.
Not true,

"Tri-shield" offers lower loss than quad-shield. The purpose of quad-shield is to prevent "re-radiation" found mainly in "Cable TV" applications. It is not necessary in OTA applications, and actually results in "more" signal loss. Save your money and go with the tri-shield.
post #60 of 694 (permalink) Old 2009-03-26, 10:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
...going to try one myself! Never thought about building one. I'm good at following other people's plans...lol.
Not really much of a plan there, heh. You just need a sturdy u shaped piece of metal about 4 inches apart, a correct size tap and an old toilet bolt. Warning, DO NOT USE the present one holding down your toilet. Disaster will follow ! Heh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.