OTA Cabling: RG-6, RG-59, RG-11, P3 Hardline, Twin-Lead, Crimping - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 694 (permalink) Old 2007-06-28, 03:07 PM

Thanks for all your input. In the picture, I had just pulled off the connector after being compressed. Before I compress it more of the red plastic ring is showing.

I do have a coax stripping tool and the blades are set at 8mm, which is the right distance for the tool. I will reduce the amount of bare wire showing though.

I tried it again, and I think my main problem is that when I push the connector onto the cable the inner sleeve of the connector pushes back the foil, which causes the foil to bunch up and prevents the connector sleeve from sliding under the cable jacket.

To try to get around this problem I used pliers to gently compress the section of exposed insulation so that the connector could slide over it without catching on the foil. I also took Roger1818's advice and was more careful about aligning everything. I ended up with a secure connection -- a firm tug doesn't move the connector -- but I'm not sure how clean everything is underneath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 694 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 01:02 AM

flat cable

I have a flat cable for getting my rg6 through the window, i'm wondering if there is any loss from using this? Also is there loss when using connectors (ie. connecting two 25 foot pieces with a f connector thing)?

this:

and this:

I'm wondering how much loss these will contribute to as I need every bit of gain possible.

Last edited by mdelleman; 2007-12-14 at 01:12 AM.
post #18 of 694 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 04:25 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Loss from adapters is there but quite low, almost immeasurable if all the fittings and coax are new, but the fewer the adapters the better. Connections will last for many years indoors. Tighten all of them just beyond finger tight with two 7/16 wrenches. If you tighten them too hard you could cause the coax core to separate from its insulation and then you'll be very unhappy. Remember: just beyond finger tight.

Outdoor connections will degrade over time and cause problems as moisture gets in, so see this thread for weatherproofing those connections:

OTA Mounts, Towers, Rigging Hardware

I have no personal experience with flat ribbon-style TV cables so I cannot comment on any signal loss by them.

post #19 of 694 (permalink) Old 2007-12-15, 01:49 AM
Veteran

Should flat coaxial designed for going through windows be avoided?

Please consider this quote before you get such a cable:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no way you're going to avoid an impedance bump with "flat" coax, and that will definitely introduce undesirable effects on the signal in the cable that are detrimental to TV as well as HSI signals. Not to mention that ingress and poor common-mode noise rejection are a problem with this sort of cable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mainly this sort of cable is very poorly shielded, and should really be used as a last resort.
post #20 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-05-01, 02:34 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Question Is the Colour of Coaxial Cable significant?

I was sent a very nice email by someone who didn't want to post here because they were worried that their question was a dumb one. No, it is not a dumb question, it is a very good one! Folks should go ahead and post in threads here rather than email or PM me.

The question was whether the colour of a coaxial cable is significant. The answer is no, the colours are meant to just be options for the installer/consumer.

Here is one example of how I've used a few different identifiers such as RG6 colours, imprinted info, and silver or gold connectors to sort out some complex installations:
  • black Belden-brand w. silver connectors = VHF TV antenna
  • white Belden w. silver connectors = UHF TV antenna
  • white RCA-brand w. silver connectors = ExpressVu 91 dish LNB left
  • white Belden-brand w. gold connectors = ExpressVu 91 dish LNB right
  • beige Belden w. silver connectors = ExpressVu 82 dish LNB left
  • beige Generic-brand w. gold connectors = ExpressVu 82 dish LNB right
  • black Belden w. gold connectors = CATV Internet
The purpose of doing all that was so that I could tell right at the grounding blocks at the house demarc point exactly which lead went where. Any time there are similar coloured coax lines and I cannot see their connectors, I can check the imprinted info on them to tell which strand is which. I've tried to keep the same scheme inside the house but sometimes its been impossible due to inacessibilities. A person could use all the same colours for such cabling but they'd have to label each strand separately in weatherproof manner. The problem is that they cannot tell in mid-strand which cable it is if they cannot see the ends.

I am a fan of Belden coaxial cable but Amphenol is a great brand too. Having said that, I've not had any problems with generic RG6 or the RCA-branded spool I once bought at Home Depot.

EDIT: Jase88 makes an interesting point later in this thread in Post #40 that white coaxial cable does not heat up in the direct sun as much as black does - good to keep that in mind for possible connection failures on hot roof tops in the summer

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-03-26 at 04:07 PM. Reason: info update added
post #21 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-18, 10:34 PM
Rookie

RG6 cable: how to choose?

Hi everybody! Its my first time here. The name came from my old cdfreaks account
I wonder if somebody can tell me, or link to the thread on how to choose a good TV cable. I need about 14 meters of it to run from a regular UHF antenna with no amplifier so to minimize signal losses, do I need to look for a CSA mark on it, UL (?). There are also cables marked as RG6/U... Please share your experience. Thanks!
post #22 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-18, 11:58 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi, I've merged your post into this thread that covers cabling for OTA, so have a read through it and you'll get great info.

Generally if you can buy Amphenol, Belden, Leviton, or even RCA brand RG-6 you will be very pleased with its quality and it will do fine as an antenna downlead into your home. Most people do not need "quad shield" but if you intend to run your coax cable inside or against any heating ducts you should consider "plenum" quality. You can pick some up for a reasonable price at Rona or Home Depot.

Also here is a link to the forum dealing with cables of all sorts, and you'll find some threads in which we've discussed RG-6 labels and codes:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/97-a/
post #23 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 09:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelC View Post
Hi everybody! Its my first time here. The name came from my old cdfreaks account
I wonder if somebody can tell me, or link to the thread on how to choose a good TV cable. I need about 14 meters of it to run from a regular UHF antenna with no amplifier so to minimize signal losses, do I need to look for a CSA mark on it, UL (?). There are also cables marked as RG6/U... Please share your experience. Thanks!
walmart sells RG-6 quad. 15 or 30 meter. with a connector on each end.
or home depot

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #24 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 12:23 PM
Rookie

All roads lead to walmart I'm surprised they sell quad, gotta check it out when we get LESS snow.

Thanks guys, I will look through those cable posts. Cheers.
post #25 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 01:30 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Just remember that quad-shield is a waste of money for the vast majority of people.

Which brand is mallwart selling?

Last edited by stampeder; 2008-12-19 at 02:09 PM.
post #26 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 04:15 PM
Rookie

Found Quad at home depot for $o.98 a meter. swept to 3Ghz, so I guess thats the one I will get unless I find the same kind in white colour.
post #27 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-22, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Just remember that quad-shield is a waste of money for the vast majority of people.

Which brand is mallwart selling?
Walmart is selling Phillips brand Cable.
post #28 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-22, 03:04 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Okay thanks, that's outsourced cable from China then, but it should be okay.
post #29 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-22, 01:19 PM
Veteran

Walmart? Outsourced goods? Say it ain't so!
post #30 of 694 (permalink) Old 2008-12-22, 05:32 PM

RG6 Cable

What does swept to 3 GHZ mean? Is this better than the ones I have seen that are 2.4 ghz? Is the higher number better, or lower number not sure. Also whats the difference between RG6, and RG6U? Looking to use for OTA/Digital cable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.