OTA Waterproofing, Sealants, Adhesives, Paint, Enclosures - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-06-28, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Lightbulb OTA Waterproofing, Sealants, Adhesives, Paint, Enclosures

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
I notice you're just using electrical tape to fasten you cable to the mast? I was listening to an installer while he was talking to a customer on the phone and he said taping 75 ohm cable to the mast and tower was fine as the cable is shielded. He said to wrap several wraps of tape around the tower or mast then tape the cable in.
Whats the consensus on this?
Glad you spotted that: people might be tempted to use nylon ties of the kind where one end fits into a slot at the other end and then you cinch it tight. Don't do it. With time the tension will cause the coax cable's protective sheath to crack or break through, or the cable's copper conducting core might even snap with a hard enough bendback. Even worse are any kinds of ties with wire cores, like the kind that you see holding a new device's power cord in a loop from the factory.

Electrical tape is the only way to go. Its extremely resilient to rain and cold, with the added benefit that you can apply it in such a way that the cable never has more than a gentle curve to it if it accidentally gets pulled. I remembered that from when I used to work for a cable TV company a long time ago so I did it that way again. Also I used the weather boots that came with the CM4228 balun and the AP8275 preamp, but I went the extra bit to apply some Armor Coat all purpose roof patch sealer, which goes on gooey and black but dries into a dark grey rubbery coating that insulates and weatherproofs anything. Then I used black electrical tape around the CM4228's balun. Remember, I live on the Wet Coast, so I don't take any chances!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-06-28, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Roofing Tar and Silicone for Antenna Installation

Silicone is ideal for waterproofing bushings and connectors. Silicone is not your best option for applying to roofs or shingles because it can ball up in certain temperature and moisture conditions and lose its adhesion.

For anything that touches the roof and/or shingles I use Armor Coat Roof Patch All Season Hole & Crack Sealer (UPC# 592107036) available at RONA, Canadian Tire, hardware stores, or Home Depot. I get the 300ml tube and put it in a caulking gun, then I spread it with a putty knife if needed. This stuff is terrific and handles all the elements and extreme temperature fluctuations. There are other brands that are similar to my favourite.
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-08-22, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoz
i don't like the idea of fastening anything to my roof shingles
We've talked about the successes and benefits of using roofing tar in one or two of the threads here and in my own experience it protects excellently if you have to drive a few lag bolts into your roofing.

I wouldn't trust an unaffixed tripod, so if you don't want to pop holes into the roof you probably need to look at some sort of weights such as sandbags or something else that is heavy and might look more esthetically pleasing if its in sight.
post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 02:48 AM

Location: Pickering (Woodview Ave. & Twyn Rivers Dr.), Ontario
Which sealant is best for rooftop cables?

I have been told by a pro installer to not use silicon sealant on coax wire connections because it will deteriorate the plastic jacket on the wires. I bought some acrylic based sealant and I hope it won't cause any problems.

Does anyone know what sealant is ok to use on wires. I noticed that the cable guy used a stretchy tape that had the consistency of chewing gum and after drying was impossible to rip off. I wish I knew what it was.
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 08:31 AM
Rop

Hi Mark,

It's called "self-vulcanizing rubber tape" and electrical supply houses, antenna installers, or electronics/HAM shops should have it. I've used lots of it to waterproof connectors up top for HAM radio purposes. The stuff works great and holds up very well over time.

-Rob-

Lies, damn lies, and interconnects...
post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Also Mark if you go back through this thread you'll see posts that deal specifically with the topic of not using silicone products for such uses.

A friend of mine who works for BC Hydro gave me a roll of the tape Rop mentions and it is great, except that he gave me the 1 1/2 inch wide stuff which is a little cumbersome for taping cable ends so I'll look for some 3/4 inch.
post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 09:13 AM

Rob thank you for helping me identify what that mysterious stuff was. I have been trying to figure it out for a while.

Stampeder I actually did read through the thread before posting and there is mention of not using silicone on asphalt roofs but you actually stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Silicone is ideal for waterproofing bushings and connectors.
I have used silicone in the past to seal around cable and telephone wire where they went through a concrete wall into the basement and haven't noticed any ill effects on the wires. I still need to use something to seal the new holes I made to for the antennae wires and I hope that the acrylic based caulking will be ok.

I found the rubber tape on the US Home Depot site listed as 'Silicone Rubber Fusion Tape' but nothing on the Canadian site. Hopefully Canadian Tire or Rona will have it.
post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTO
Stampeder I actually did read through the thread before posting and there is mention of not using silicone on asphalt roofs but you actually stated...
MarkTO, nothing personal but I often check if people have read up because there are sometimes those who don't.

Regarding silicone for fittings, mea culpa about that quote. I was referring to asphalt repair tar as the best for roof jobs when you were talking about connections. Not enough caffeine was in my system yet, I guess. I will add that if you want really long term protection then use the roofing tar on the connections rather than the silicone. BTW I've never heard of deterioration of coax sheathing from silione products.
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I found the rubber tape on the US Home Depot site listed as 'Silicone Rubber Fusion Tape' but nothing on the Canadian site. Hopefully Canadian Tire or Rona will have it.
I managed to find 'self-vulcanizing rubber tape' in Canadian Tire. It is sold under the name 'magic wrap' and you will find it in the tape or plumbing section. The price is a bit steep $7.99 for 16' but it should be enough for a few installations.

Thanks for everyones help.
post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 04:47 PM

Talking Painting your antenna

Is there a special kind of paint I could use to blend my antenna to my roof colour? If so what is it called?

55" Mitsubishi WS-55315
HUMAX HFA 100
CM 4228 (UHF)
Antennacraft CS600 (VHF)
post #11 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 08:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I managed to find 'self-vulcanizing rubber tape' in Canadian Tire. It is sold under the name 'magic wrap' and you will find it in the tape or plumbing section. The price is a bit steep $7.99 for 16' but it should be enough for a few installations.

Thanks for everyones help.
The Cable TV guys call it "Sap Tape" It's great stuff for outdoor electrical work.
post #12 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 08:21 PM
Veteran

Anything that sticks to Aluminum should be fine.
post #13 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Personally I would not paint an antenna, and if they come out of the factory painted its usually been anodized as part of the RF capabilities. You could try an acrylic enamel for durability. Like HDTV101 says, it has to stick to aluminum but maybe also galvanized and/or stainless steel, depending on the fittings. Make sure the paint is non-metallic because even the smallest amount of metal in it could ruin the antenna's gain. Satellite dish paint would be perfect, but its only in gray from what I've ever seen. Are you sure you want to try this?
post #14 of 138 (permalink) Old 2005-11-06, 11:57 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Are you sure you want to try this?
Well now that you mention it, I don't think I will do it.

Thanks for your replies.
Ben

55" Mitsubishi WS-55315
HUMAX HFA 100
CM 4228 (UHF)
Antennacraft CS600 (VHF)
post #15 of 138 (permalink) Old 2006-09-06, 09:35 PM
Veteran

These plastic PVC boxes are great for antenna and satellite work. You drill the holes where you need them and run your wires in and out.. silicone up the holes around the wires and you're all set. Rona sells them!

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...ox-610049.aspx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.