Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExpressVu 6141 plus External HDD = Instant PVR

93K views 232 replies 83 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 · (Edited)
The ExpressVu 6141 is being introduced tomorrow by Bell.

For details about it, see the dedicated thread.

In this thread, I wanted to highlight that the ExpressVu 6141 will have USB 2.0 capability so you can add a hard drive and it becomes an HD PVR. Expected time frame for this capability is this year

The $299 unit comes with a PVR remote and has a nine day electronic program guide.

#121 ·
Still NO news on the PVR feature, here is my conversation today with bell.

Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with Jaime W.

Jaime W: Hello, thank you for visiting bell.ca. How may I help you today?

John : Hello, I am curious as to when Bell will release the software update for the HD 6141 receiver to allow an external USB hard drive to be attached for PVR features. This was promised by Pat Button (the previous VP of sales) in a press release in January 2008

Jaime W: Unfortunately we do not have any dates or updates on when the update will come out.

John : Has there been any talk as to whether or not this update will be coming out for these receivers, the US satellite company uses the same receivers and they already have this update available to there customers

Jaime W: Yes, the only update released this year was for the 9242 HD PVR receiver.

John : does bell not work with dishnetwork on these updates because they are owned by echostar

John : so as of right now the usb port on this receiver is basically there for cosmetic purposes.

Jaime W: Yes this feature is not yet enabled.

John : and there is no time frame on when it will become "ENABLED"

Jaime W: Unfortunately no date yet for the release. I'm sorry about this.

John : OK , thank you for this answer. I look forward to being able to use my HD 6141 receiver as a PVR with an external USB hard drive in the future.

Jaime W: It's been a pleasure helping you out today! Thank you for choosing Bell and for using bell.ca for your self-serve solutions. Have a great day!
Your chat representative has ended the chat session. We thank you for using this service and we hope we have answered all your questions.

#125 ·
Only speculation but with the imminent release of the 6131, which will be "PVR Ready", I am inclined to think this might have been shelved.
Is this the same "PVR Ready" option that they sold so many ppl on for the 6141? You should really look at getting this reciever because they'll be putting out software that will let you add an external HDD in the very near future. Don't waste your money on the 9242 unless you want to control 2 tv's.

I'm sure there are a whole heck of a lot of ppl out there that were sold on the feature being available on the 6141 (myself included) who will be very upset if it doesn't happen and they put out a 1 digit different model which can do. Sounds more like a cash grab than anything else. But we'll have to wait and see the specs on the new model i guess.

#127 ·
Just spoke with a Mark at the executive office for Bell TV . He Told me that "Jan 7 2009 they will make the announcement of the EHD for the 6141"
Said "they were just starting today with the training for the csr"
I have his direct # which I will be happy to provide if this does not happen.

#129 ·
Ok so if they're saying the 6141 is getting the EHD upgrade as well then what is the point in releasing the 6131? Are there any differences in the box's or will the 6141 fade away like what was posted in the other thread reguarding the 9242 bein discontinued and replaced with the 9241?

Are you sure he wasn't confusing the 2 box's up? It is only 1 digit difference and its not uncommon for exec's to be confused about model numbers. I guess we may have to wait the 2 weeks to find out officially.

#130 ·
I think we are about to see the end of the 6141 & the 9242.

I agree it would be way too confusing to have models that do almost the same and at the exact same price point too.

#137 ·
Anyone have any suggestions for external HD's to look for? Boxing day is coming up fast and might as well get a deal while we wait!?
I have a 211K and a 612 from Dish. I have used LaCie drives (320, 500 & 750), TrekStor drives (320, 500, 750), WD (various externals) and Seagates with not one single issue on any of them.

As a matter of interest certain big box stores in Canada sell the LaCie & TrekStor drive onsale frequently. I bought the LaCies (500) THIS month for $69 each plus $6 shipping and the TrekStors (500GB cool looking and COLD running) for $89 plus $6.99 shipping!

Vis...

#134 ·
Can anyone name "specific" models of Western Digital or other external hard drives that will definitely be compatible? The minimum requirements I believe are this...

• USB 2.0 connectivity
• 7200 RPM disk speed
• External power adapter
• Always-on (no-sleep mode)

Thanks in advance!

#138 ·
I bought a 6141 and a HDD LaCie 750Gb on Boxing Day. Bell Express Vue has activated the 6141 but when I press the PVR button nothing comes up. Do I have to wait until Jan 7 2009 for an "upgrade"? I am referring to haystack posting of Dec 22nd below.

Just spoke with a Mark at the executive office for Bell TV . He Told me that "Jan 7 2009 they will make the announcement of the EHD for the 6141"
Said "they were just starting today with the training for the csr"
I have his direct # which I will be happy to provide if this does not happen.

#141 ·
bought a 6141 and a HDD LaCie 750Gb on Boxing Day.
Hope you got a good deal because the price is supposed to drop as well to $199 on the 7th or around then for that reciever. I didn't see it anywhere for cheaper than $299, although i wasn't really looking for it.

Tried to get FS to give me the boxing day special on the 9242 for $299 but they wouldn't bite :( New customers only.

#145 ·
I did pay 299$ for the 6141 at FS but if the price drops to 199$ in January, I do hope that their "Lowest Price Guarantee" will apply.
As long as you didn't have it packaged with something or a deal like with 3 free dvd's or a free cable or some crap like FS likes to do. They like to throw in something free so that they don't have to give the "Lowest Price Guarantee" if the price changes. They're notorious for doing that with things like Xbox's, Blu Ray players and other equip because they change the promo almost weekly so that say 3 movies are different or 1 game is different and if any of the above have been opened then it nulifies the guarantee.

Not saying that thats whats going to happen because if you paid full price you likly didn't have it bundled but just make sure. I've had issues in the past with them on stuff like that, especially when its not them that is marking down the price but rather the supplier.

#146 ·
I have just talked to BEV (Jan 2, 2009), and they told me that the 6141 will never be enabled for PVR (and this was after 20 minutes on hold, after they were consulting another department).

I just got a new HDTV, and I will be holding off for a few weeks, until the 6131 arrives.

I can't see, BEV leaving its 6141 customers in a lurch, but you think, they would have updated their CSR's on the 6141 a week before they are supposed to do a firmware upgrade.

As far as discounts, they would not give me the 50% off as I was an exisitng customer, but they offered me 25% off the reciever, free installation (which includes installing the splitter box, and the second LNBF on the dish), and six months of free HD programming, and a $25 credit.

This was after I told them that I was going to switch to starchoice, because they were treating their existing customers with comtempt, by offering the big discounts to new users only.

One of the axioms of business, is it is far easier and cheaper to keep an existing customer, than to obtain a new customer.

I guess the senior managers in the Marketing deparment at BEV, needs a MBA refresher.

#147 ·
I just got my 6141 about 2 weeks ago because of the pvr feature to come, if this is true that it will never receiver the firmware upgrade to make it a pvr, i will be personally calling bell to raise some hell about shelling out the money that i did, to now learn that it won't be doing what i purposely bought it for to do, and will definitely be considering CANCELLING my account if they refuse to do anything for me, especially when i am paying them $120 a month for my service. shame on you BELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.