Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExpressVu 6141 plus External HDD = Instant PVR

93K views 232 replies 83 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 · (Edited)
The ExpressVu 6141 is being introduced tomorrow by Bell.

For details about it, see the dedicated thread.

In this thread, I wanted to highlight that the ExpressVu 6141 will have USB 2.0 capability so you can add a hard drive and it becomes an HD PVR. Expected time frame for this capability is this year

The $299 unit comes with a PVR remote and has a nine day electronic program guide.

#90 ·
They (Bell) kinda got me to buy this model on the fact that it would soon be upgradeable to a PVR. :mad: At this point I will wait to find out if any news comes out about this future ability.

#91 ·
I was reading a reply yesterday about a new version of software for this unit. I checked mine (I have the newest vesion of software)but I did not "see" any new options available.:(

#93 ·
hmm, perhaps BTV did intend to have it operational before now, but couldn't get it to work properly. Given the issues with the EHD on the 92XX series, at least there you can still record without the EHD. If the EHD on the 6141 doesn't work, then you can't record at all.

Does Dish have this (6141 equivalent) working?

#95 ·
hmm, perhaps BTV did intend to have it operational before now, but couldn't get it to work properly.
I have spoken to three different senior Bell people over the last 10 months and there is no question they wanted this for the 6141. Based on the last discussion, I expected this to be rolled out on the 6141 last month.

That's what I know and the following is pure speculation on my part.

My suspicion is that the problems with the 9242 are very deep in the code and that we won't see this on the 6141 until the 9242 problems are sorted out.

#96 ·
After all the frustration of waiting for a firmware upgrade that would completely fix the audio-sync problems of the 6141 and a firmware that would turn the 6141 in to a PVR I called Bell for the millionth time to demand either a free upgrade to a 9242 (to solve the PVR issue) or some sort of credit to my account.

On my first call believe it or not the technical rep told me that with the current v164 firmware version DOES support the PVR function by adding a hard drive. I said are you 100% sure and they said YES! (Note: I made sure to get the rep to note on my account that they told me that it IS PVR compatible in case I had to call back). Well...after a few days went by instead of going to buy a hard drive and try it I checked the 6141 main menu and there is no function to use a PVR , so I knew the technical rep gave me false info. :mad:

I called back yesterday and demanded to speak to a supervisor who can make decisions. Once I got a supervisor on the phone I explained my past history issues with the 6141. The supervisor amazingly didn't know the 6141 would eventually become a PVR so I gave them this link to prove it... http://www.marketnews.ca/news_detail.asp?nid=3379 . After proving my point and telling the supervisor how I was basically lied to on the phone by the last rep I asked to have a free upgrade to the 9242. She flat out refused. I then said you better do something as this is terrible customer and service. I also said that if I hadn't spent so much money on Bell hardware and signed a 2-year contract I would have dropped them a long time ago. She put me oh hold for a long time came back and said she would give me 50% off my next 6-months bills which basically equals for me about $201. This is basically the same $$$ difference between the cost of the 6141 and a 9242, so I agreed and that was that.

In the end I finally got some payback for the troubles, but I tell you Bell has the worst customer service department on the face of the earth. Most reps are uninformed of their own products issues and are also unwilling to do anything for you unless you complain to the tenth degree.

(Note: I was told by the supervisor that they are aware that the PVR function was supposed to be available by now, but she GAURANTEED after speaking to the technical department that the PVR function WILL be available in January 2009. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.)

#97 ·
(Note: I was told by the supervisor that they are aware that the PVR function was supposed to be available by now, but she GAURANTEED after speaking to the technical department that the PVR function WILL be available in January 2009. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.)

Lets hope this happens. (fingers crossed)

#98 ·
junkmale, you referred to some audio/synch problems. I have experienced those regularly as well. Is this a general 6141 device problem, or is it specific to only certain units? What is the fix? The problem is almost as annoying as not having the PVR feature that was promised.

Thanks.

#108 ·
Here is my latest chat transcript with Bell regarding the PVR features.

Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with Anto.

Anto: Hello, thank you for visiting bell.ca. How may I help you today?

Steve: Hello, I am curious as to when Bell will release the software update for the HD 6141 receiver to allow an external USB hard drive to be attached for PVR features. This was promised by Pat Button (the previous VP of sales) in a press release in January 2008.

Anto: Unfortunately,we do not have an ETA on this software release update at this moment. We do understand the benefit of having this, but several reasons can delay this factor including software complications.

Steve: Ok that is understandable. Are you able to confirm for me today that this software update to support this feature is in the works and will eventually be released?

Anto: Yes, most definitely. It will support external storage devices like a hard drive, USB Key..

Steve: And just to confirm, we are talking about the 6141 HD receiver which currently is not a PVR, correct?

Anto: That is correct. This is the base model HD receiver.

Steve: Great, thank you for this answer. I look forward to being able to use my HD 6141 receiver as a PVR with an external USB hard drive in the future.

Anto: Yes, me too :) I have one as well and waiting for it.

Anto: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Steve: No, you have answered all my questions. Thanks again!

Anto: It's been a pleasure helping you out today! Thank you for choosing Bell and for using bell.ca for your self-serve solutions. Have a great day!

#110 ·
I called Bell just now and they couldn't tell me anything.:confused:

I need 5 HD receivers for my girlfriend but told her to hold off on signing up till they offer this feature....cause theres no way shes going to drop $600 a pop for an HD PVR in each of the 5 TV rooms. Till then its crapishka Shaw Cable. :mad:

#113 ·
"Add the recording, pause and playback features of an HD DVR" (Dish Network)

I called Bell today, according to the tech support people there has been no discussion of such features being implemented into Bell's hardware. I did let her know that it was already available in the US on the same equipment from Dish Network. Id rather have 2 HD DVRs with a single tuner each than a HD Dual tuner for one TV with only one HD output. TVs are cheap now, bedrooms, living rooms, Id like every Tv to have the HD DVR options without blowing $600 for each set when there is no real need for dual tuner recievers, its a nice extra but rare that you really need it unless your a sports junkie.

HTML:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers/hd/vip211dvr/default.aspx

#114 ·
Id like every Tv to have the HD DVR options without blowing $600 for each set when there is no real need for dual tuner recievers, its a nice extra but rare that you really need it unless your a sports junkie.
Don't forget the cost of the external HDD's as well. You're still going to be spending upwards of $500 for each setup depending on the size of drive you're using, especially if you order the "Supported" HDD from bell when they do actually release it.

I'm hoping that this will come in the new year like was previously posted but again the original word last sprend was within a few weeks and well its been almost a year and i'm not holding my breath for it. I'm sure i'll likly give up if nothing is stated by mid january and just go with the 9242.

#115 ·
While I do think that three 9242's would be a more efficient way to feed five tv's, a smart shopper would never pay over $500 for a 6141 + HDD. Where do you get this figure? Quite often you can pick up a 6141 system at FS for $199 no questions asked. External drives or do it yourself options vary between $75 - $125 for 500-750GB. This keeps the total cost at around $300.

#116 ·
While I do think that three 9242's would be a more efficient way to feed five tv's, a smart shopper would never pay over $500 for a 6141 + HDD. Where do you get this figure? Quite often you can pick up a 6141 system at FS for $199 no questions asked. External drives or do it yourself options vary between $75 - $125 for 500-750GB. This keeps the total cost at around $300.
The deal from FS is $299 for the 6141 and when you activate one you get a programmiing credit from Bell for $100. If you read the fine print i'm sure you'll find something along the lines of having to be a new customer or limited number of activations. I agree that you can do and external drive for much cheaper than what they're offering but basically for the average joe its still going to cost a fair amount and you have to weigh out the difference.

#120 ·
Yes, that is the going price, however occasionally FS has the unit on sale for $199 for anybody, new customer or old. I know this because I bought mine for $199 not very long ago. I have been a BTV/VU customer for 7 years. I even asked (stupid me) isn't this for new clients only? No, store sale price is what I was told. Keep an eye out on there web site.

#118 ·
That is the difference between the American and Canadian versions of the Echostar receivers.

Bell call there's PVR's, while Dish call them DVR's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.