Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers iPhone 3G Owners discussion and review thread

54K views 159 replies 57 participants last post by  canabiz 
#1 ·
Well it arrives July 11th and I know many of us would love to have one of these babies. I for one can't afford one but hope to someday!

If you have get one, please tell the Digital Forum members what you think and your review!

Thanks in advance

Signed,
Sad in Toronto

(Folks wishing to discuss whether they should buy one or pricing please post on other threads. This thread is strictly for the lucky ones that have one!)

#117 ·
So does it mean that if I see the wi-fi pie icon in the left corner, I'm using the wi-fi network instead of Rogers data connection?
Bingo :)

I should add that there is a setting to turn "Data Roaming" to off, which is recommended if travelling abroad or near the US border fringe areas. But again, this apparently doesn't guarantee against data being used.

#121 ·
Anyone else still love the hell out of their iphone? I've had mine since launch and it still feels new.
Yeah I definitely love mine. One of those devices that I could live without, but don't want to! :p

Has its quirks, touch screen can be annoying sometimes - especially with texting and erroneous calls - battery life leaves much to be desired.

Co-workers and friends of the non-BlackBerry variety are still amazed at its capabilities.

#122 ·
Every phone I had before (Chocolate, Shine, Moto Q, Razr, Krzr), I would always be trolling the kiosks at malls or Costco looking at the new models and trying to justify upgrading.

Since the iPhone, though - I don't even give them a second look. I look at the new Blackberry models only to see how they're trying to compete (not well, it would appear with the Storm - just ask David Pogue), but never have the urge to "upgrade".

#123 ·
I have had my i-phone for 2 weeks buy one ? I have is if iam surfing the net it takes the phone a long time to switch when I turn the phone sideways even tho the phone is sideways the display is still longways it is very hard to type this way and I find battery life not great I have to charge it nightly other than that I love the phone

#128 ·
I found that as soon as I stopped paying attention to how well I was typing, and instead, i just let the auto-correct function work, that "my" typing improved immensely.

Also, here's a tip that wasn't readily apparent to me (of course it's in the manual, but who reads a manual with an Apple product): To place the cursor anywhere in your text (like if I wanted to go back and correct that lower-case "i" in my first paragraph here), simply press and hold near where you want the cursor; you'll get a little "magnifying glass" and by rolling your finger a bit, you can get the cursor in the space you want.

#129 ·
iPhone could be expensive to operate, beware

Machine works very well, but FIDO started billing me for thousands of dollars, I was told by the Customer Service: "You had the equipment, you must pay!" My answer was "I have an equipment to commit rape, but I did not!"
I did not choose any data plan, nor I signed a waiver declining it. I thought that I will only pay for what I actually use. I was wrong. Many megabytes of something must have been pushed to my phone and disappeared into space! They could not figure it out what it was.
Letter to FIDO, ROGERS (mother Company) APPLE and local BBB (I needed a lawyer to find a registered office of a Company) helped. I received response immediately and ordered to cut internet connecting ability of my phone from G3, Wi-Fi works perfectly. I was credited well over $1,000 for alleged connections to the Internet. I am still fighting overcharging me for pesky PREMIUM TEXT MESSAGES (never ordered) and long distance charges for incoming calls. In my plan I am suppose to receive unlimited incoming calls, but FIDO thinks that it applies only to LOCAL INCOMING CALLS. They still can not find a document which I allegedly must have signed to agree to it. Since my callers must have paid long distance charges, why should I?
I will keep you posted how the situation developes. There are hundreds of dollars involved.
For anyone else without deep pockets, my advice is, disconnect G3 from Settings/General/Enable G3 - OFF, Data Roaming OFF Location Servicess OFF
That should protect you from your iPhone looking for data by itself, without your knowledge. Even if you do have deep pockets and can afford data plan, you may easily exceed your quota and end up paying hundreds of dollars a month, by allowing iPhone to push Location Services and your old emails continously.
After my alarm, Apple is working on better manual and its Dealers are promoting seminars on how to use iPhones, because according to the Trade Practices Act RSBC. (Rules of the Supreme Court of British Columbia): „Failing to tell someone a material factor about the product or service, is a deceptive practice.“
Nobody got mad enough to start a legal action, but if more users are victimised it may happened again what ROGERS lost for using "negative options sales" (offering few free channels on Cable TV and starting to charge after free period was over, without asking clients permission). That did not work and ROGERS was kicked out of the Province of BC. SHAW took over and never did it again. Class actions in Canada are rare, but may happen again, specially if there is a monopoly situation like with iPhone.

#130 ·
Errr... this is very much a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary). $30 for 6 gigabytes/month does not mean you have deep pockets in my opinion. I've got all the data services turned on, push email from three accounts, regularly access the Net, and haven't come remotely close to 3 gigs/month, let alone 6.

#133 ·
hell yes it is worth it. still the coolest phone, although if you prefer buttons the palm pre looks delicious as well. i don't know when that will be available in canada tho.

as far as i know if you want to buy a new one you have to sign up for a $60 /month or greater 3 year plan. or you can buy a new or used one off of ebay/kijiji for $400-500, and go the pay as you go route with either fido, rogers, petro canada, or 711. rates are b/w $.20 per min and $.40 per min.

3G is the high speed (and high cost) gsm data network. you can download streaming video, emails, etc. at pretty nice speeds. if you are not interested in data, you can score an older 2g phone for less.

#134 ·
as far as i know if you want to buy a new one you have to sign up for a $60 /month or greater 3 year plan.
You can buy the iPhone on any rate plan. I bought my wife an iPhone a couple months ago. We signed up for a new 3 year contract and she is on a $25/month rate plan. she didn't want the data plan as she will just use wifi at home. She loves this phones. Besides the cell phone portion of it, she uses it everyday to watch tv shows she converted to iTunes. Best phone she has owned.

#137 ·
Have you received a bill yet? Any issues or charges due to the lack of data plan?
Our first bill had 600kb of data usage on it. The Rogers store that sold it to me forgot to disable the internet/data as I asked them to do. When my wife first got her phone she went on the app store, thinking she was on wifi. I found out a few hours later she wasn't on wifi, so I phoned Rogers the next day and disabled the internet/data. We haven't had any data charges since then. I just got my 2nd bill and there was no data charges on it.

#138 ·
The Rogers store that sold it to me forgot to disable the internet/data as I asked them to do
This is definitely not the first I've heard of this...seems that Rogers/Fido is conveniently "forgetting" to turn off data. This is what worries me about customers without data plans, not checking their bill thoroughly, and automatically paying the bill every month. Good to hear you followed up and ensured it was disabled!

#139 ·
Good to hear you followed up and ensured it was disabled!
I learned not to trust what a CSR tells you without following up with them once or twice to make sure they did what they say they are going to do. the funny thing when I did follow up, the CSR I talked to said that whoever blocked my internet before, didn't block it correctly. He said there is a certain block they add for iPhones. Not sure what it is. Fortunately there was no data incurred because of the 1st CSR's mistake.

#140 ·
There is a free app, Ultimate Todos, that syncs with Todoodle.com and an app that syncs your Outlook with Todoodle.com. Back assed way to sync Outlook To Do's but for my uses its fine as I just want Outlook to be a back up.

There is also a game based on Tron now! Its called LightBike. The demo/light version is just one player, first to 3 wins vs. 3 computer bikes. Paid version will have same device 2 player and wi-fi play, and maybe more environments I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.