Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers iPhone 3G Owners discussion and review thread

54K views 159 replies 57 participants last post by  canabiz 
#1 ·
Well it arrives July 11th and I know many of us would love to have one of these babies. I for one can't afford one but hope to someday!

If you have get one, please tell the Digital Forum members what you think and your review!

Thanks in advance

Signed,
Sad in Toronto

(Folks wishing to discuss whether they should buy one or pricing please post on other threads. This thread is strictly for the lucky ones that have one!)

#89 ·
Call display?

I did a search of this thread and surprised I never found anything under "call display".

I heard call display doesn't work with the iphone 3g?

Founded or unfounded?

Thanks

#93 ·
Hmmm name display and call display are different? I always call display will show name and number of the person who called unless of course they block it.

?

#94 ·
AFAIK, Call Display only shows a phone # (or name if the caller is in your contact list). Name Display is an additional service that includes the caller's name, even if they're not in your list.

#96 ·
Yep it happens, in fact with many phones.

Just my hunch on why this happens anyway... It has to do with the connection required for the button on the headphones. Unplugging might cause a small 'short' you could say sometimes.

I just answer, listen through headphones and either talk into the mic on the headphone wire if I have that pair on, or talk into the phone.

#97 ·
I called rogers a while ago about this they say the iPhone does not support the name display. I strongly suspect this is because of the lame crooked way Rogers chooses to support caller id by having two different ways for it, one for name and one for the number, caller id with the name is really two features with rogers. I told them that at the time, and they actually never disagreed and kinda thought it may be the reason why.

#98 ·
So I've had my iPhone for about a week now and I have been enjoying it. 3G access everywhere I have been and Wi-Fi works great at home.

I do notice slowdowns sometimes and occasionally it would "freeze" for a couple of seconds. I only reboot the phone after a week as I noticed some slowdowns today.

Another thing is that this phone sucks up battery fast! Apparently the new 2.1 firmware coming out will improve battery life.

#101 ·
Just updated to 2.1. No problems so far, but haven't had much chance to use it yet.

Edit: Maps/GPS isn't working great. Couldn't find my current location in several attempts. Finally did, but isn't as accurate as before the update...

#102 ·
I updated also without any problems. Contacts load quicker, maybe 2 seconds now which is reasonable.

App store and Safari would crash on me occasionally but we'll see how it is now. Hard to say after just 12 hrs or of light use. Safari is a rock on 1.1.4 on my ipod touch.

We'll see if app installs are faster too. Its hillarious that the jailbroken apps install in 1-30 seconds but App store ones need 2-5 minutes it seems.

#103 ·
Has anyone else noticed that since the update if you don't check an SMS it will beep again. Like the "reminder" on my old Motorolas. I like that feature but there doesn't seem to be any options in the settings for it.

#105 ·
I just updated a couple of days ago. For the most part I agree it's "snappier" but my voicemails now sounds they're playing inside a tin can. The compression is horrible. Even messages stored before the update sound horrible. Battery life does seems to be better. I'm on day 3 of a single charge. Other than that I haven't noticed much differences aside from the icon changes for the 3G/EDGE/GPRS... why that was needed I don't know.

I'm still waiting for offline maps, not even real time navigation, just maps I can access when the phone is out of service.

#107 ·
Has anyone had any luck getting the VPN client to work under Rogers? Rogers told me tonight thatthe VPN feature is another $10/month to use. So much for $30/6GB plan, no mention anywhere of VPN being extra.
AS it stands right now, I miss bell for the no filtering web connection I tapped into via my treo700 :(

One frustrated Rogers Iphone customer.

#113 ·
A few quick notes. I have been charged data roaming and standard voice roaming when travelling to Detroit. When I bought my phone at rogers, they said the Detroit Area (313, 734, 248, ...) was local and my extented calling area was to include SE Michigan. When I called and spoke with a Supervisor, they reveresed the Charges.

I also couldn't believe my monthly plan. We have 2 IPhones and were on the followiong plan
$100 for phone 1150 min
$30 for 6G data
$15 for stupid IPhone plan
$20 for 200 LD / Roaming Min.
$7 free calling starting at 6pm
$6.95 + 0.5

After taxes and a bit extra LD, my bill was $500 for 2 phones.

So I freaked out and called to cancel the phones (Knowing that selling each phone would almost cover the $500 cancellation fee)

Magically, Rogers just came out with a new promotion.
$47 for 700 daytime min (inc free calling after 6)
$15 free incoming any time

SO with 1 phonecall, I saved 40 bucks on each phone and cleared up my roaming issues. My bill for 2 phones should now be approx $260 with tax which is more than acceptable to me.

#114 ·
disable data connection

Hi there,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question?! Moderator please feel free to move it to the proper forum... I've just got a used iPhone 3G today and it's locked to Rogers. Have been searching quite a while but couldn't find a definite answer to my question.

Since I don't have a data plan & don't plan to get one, is it possible to disable the data connection entirely?? I just don't want to go online accidentally and get a big fat bill...

The second question is that if I have the iphone connected to my wifi network at home or any other wifi network in the coffee shop, will the iphone use the wifi network to go online instead of using 3G or Edge? Is there a way to tell how the iphone is connecting to the internet?
Cheers
Stephen

#115 ·
Since I don't have a data plan & don't plan to get one, is it possible to disable the data connection entirely?? I just don't want to go online accidentally and get a big fat bill...
AFAIK, the only way to guarantee that no data is used is to call Rogers and they will switch it off. Though I've still heard reports of users being charged for data even after setting this up with Rogers. Best to call them to see what your options are, but make sure they're not just trying to sell you a data plan ;)

will the iphone use the wifi network to go online instead of using 3G or Edge? Is there a way to tell how the iphone is connecting to the internet?
In the wi-fi settings, you can choose to automatically join known networks, or it will ask if you want to join one.
In the top left corner where the cell provider & signal strength is, it will either say 3G, Edge, or the little "pie slice" wi-fi signal.

#116 ·
AFAIK, the only way to guarantee that no data is used is to call Rogers and they will switch it off. Though I've still heard reports of users being charged for data even after setting this up with Rogers. Best to call them to see what your options are, but make sure they're not just trying to sell you a data plan ;)

In the wi-fi settings, you can choose to automatically join known networks, or it will ask if you want to join one.
In the top left corner where the cell provider & signal strength is, it will either say 3G, Edge, or the little "pie slice" wi-fi signal.
Thanks Cooper83. So does it mean that if I see the wi-fi pie icon in the left corner, I'm using the wi-fi network instead of Rogers data connection?
Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.