voip.ms discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-09-24, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

voip.ms discussion

Thanks to some of the other threads on this forum, I decided to try and set up my own voip, and signed up with voip.ms. I managed to set up a PAP2T in about 20 minutes, and, amazingly, I was calling across the country immediately. So far, voice quality is excellent. We'll see how it goes over a period of time and I will give an update in six months or so. Assuming all goes well, it begs the question --'Why doesn't everyone do it this way"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-10-04, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

After one week, everything is going great. I should point out that the voip.ms configuration examples were very minimal, and I did use the examples from callwithus, and callcentric to set up the PAP2. The callcentric instructions for starting the configuration were particularly helpful.
post #3 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-10-06, 01:09 AM

I use them for a while, and it's all good. They are very reliable, especially compared to those $9.95/mo services we all know about.

They recently added very powerful routing features, so you can automatically manage your calls based on date, time, and / or caller id. Unlimited DIDs are (IMHO) overpriced, but PAYG DIDs priced very well.

post #4 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 02:38 PM

Anymore reviews about these guys? I'm trying to decide between them and Vonage ... any advice is appreciated.
post #5 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 03:04 PM

I like them a lot. You'll get a lot more support from Vonage (it's more consumer-oriented) but this stuff is not that difficult. When I have had technical issues I've gotten reasonably fast answers.

My only problem with them is that they have a paucity of Canadian rate centres available. For example, you can't get a number anywhere in Saskatchewan.

If the rate centres they have are fine with you, use them and enjoy them.

I do find the premium rate termination is of significantly higher quality than the budget rate termination. The rate is still low.

The new callback service is really great. I have Canada-wide My5 on my Rogers account and got a Calgary DID to use with it. If I call my Calgary number, voip.ms will call me back and give me a dialtone. For a total of 2.5 cents a minute US I can call anywhere in North America and most of western Europe.

les.net is also worth considering. Slightly better support, slightly lower quality termination, but still good. les.net has Regina and Saskatoon numbers, which makes it more useful for me.
post #6 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 03:05 PM

I should also point out that both are prepaid services so you can use both. Stick twenty bucks in each one and use them based on your need. I have a Linksys PAP2 and each line is configured for one of the two services.
post #7 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 04:24 PM
Rookie

PhotoJim,

I was looking at vbuzzer but it didn't look all that professional so I came down to a decision between les.net and voip.ms as well. Perhaps you could answer a few questions about Les, their website is pretty sparse and crappy looking so it didn't provide a lot of info.

Do they allow you to select a preferred DID# of your choice? I think voice mail comes free. Do they allow for call waiting on the incoming calls?

Thanks.

Last edited by Bayroy; 2008-10-25 at 02:59 AM.
post #8 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-10-25, 12:38 PM

Hi Bayroy,

Here is what I know about les.net:

- all prices are in $US
- voice mail and call waiting are free
- you can pick your own DID from a list of available DIDs. (This is pretty cool and as a result I've got one DID with a really fantastic phone number.)
- taxes are extra. They just charge me GST because I'm not in Manitoba.
- there aren't any hidden fees I'm aware of.
- I don't think balances expire within reason. I'm sure at some point they must, but it would be a year plus, if at all. (My speculation here.)

Jim
post #9 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-11-28, 04:05 PM

Talking First Impressions of VoIP.ms ...are great!!

I am in the process of porting away from a spammer on this site to VoIP.ms. Here are my first impressions so far:

Setup was super fast. Within a minute of payment, I was talking on my phone. They had to set up my DID manually but did it in less than an hour even though they advertised up to four.

VoIP.ms is a geek's dream. There are a seemingly endless array of configuration options that I can play with to my heart's content. I think about the only step up from this would be actually having my own Asterisk box. It's all very well explained (easier to learn than Asterisk!) so that non-geeks should enjoy it too.

Two things in particular wowed me about VoIP.ms: the first is the diagnostics available on their website. You can tell whether or not your extensions are registered, what IP they come from, and when the next registration is expected. My last provider didn't have anything close to that. If you had a problem, you just had to guess at it

The second thing that wowed me is that VoIP.ms has SEVEN severs around the United States, Canada, and even the UK. This means that if I had a problem with a server, I could simply switch to another server in a minute or less. Or, I could set up extensions on multiple servers and have one failover to the other. I can also pick any server I want based on the one that has the best latency to my location.

There are three rate options for termination (outgoing calls):
- Special Rates, about $0.0045/minute to Canada. I found the call quality here too poor to be of use.
- Value Rates, $0.0049 to $0.0114/minute to Canada; $0.0105/minute to the US. Call quality was not as good as Premium Rates, but very usable. (And yes - that's less than half a cent per minute!) I had to set DTMF mode to Info for DTMF (buttons on a touch-tone phone) to work here.
- Premium Rates, $.0125/minute to Canada and the US. Call quality with these rates was excellent.

There are two rate options for DIDs (incoming calls):
- $0.0149/minute and $1.99/month. You can receive a theoretically unlimited number of calls.
- $8.95/month, no per-minute billing. You can receive a maximum of two calls at one time.

VoIP.ms has a 4.5/5 star rating on Voxalot (les.net has 4/5) and if things continue to go as well as they are I plan on rating VoIP.ms highly as well.
post #10 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-11-28, 06:48 PM

I agree with your review. voip.ms is a terrific provider. They don't have numbers in all provinces yet, unfortunately, but the quality of the service they have is really good.

I found the value rate quality was a little marginal but the premium rate quality is really good and the rates are still reasonable enough.
post #11 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-11-29, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

There is an enthusiastic review of voip.ms on another thread, so thought I may as well close this out with my last observation. After two months no problems worth mentioning. I had to switch servers at one point, but that took about 4 minutes to accomplish. All in all, if a person is willing to spend a little time investing in a learning curve, the downstream benefits are significant. Plus it is kind of fun to 'do it yourself'.
post #12 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-12-17, 12:52 AM

Today's update: I discovered I was unable to call lots of Canadian toll-free numbers. So, I switched to the Toronto server (I was on the LA server before) which solved the problem. However, call quality was not as good as the LA server. I discovered with a ping test that I was getting about 1% packet loss to Toronto which was coming from the last hop before the SIP server. So, I tested the Montreal server and found 0% loss. I switched to it and calls have been great ever since.

We had a really curious issue happen the other day. I used a landline to call my wife on the VoIP phone, a Linksys SPA-921. She answered and...it kept ringing. The call eventually went to voicemail. I have not been able to reproduce this. Has anyone else seen this?

One other thing: VoIP.ms tells me that they are working on getting a server up in Vancouver! Yay

Last edited by Mango; 2008-12-17 at 01:12 AM.
post #13 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-12-17, 11:00 PM

I'm thinking about switching to voip.ms to try it out. I'm currently using vbuzzer, and the quality has been great so far. I'm ony using SIP for long-distance calling as a pay-as-u-go. I'm wondering if anyone knows how good the voip.ms VALUE option compares with vbuzzer? Anyone know?

Thanks.

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
post #14 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-12-18, 12:12 AM

Had another interesting issue today. My wife (why does it always happen with her??) tried to leave a message on the VoIP phone and it cut her off after about three seconds. I have not been able to reproduce this.

Never used VBuzzer; sorry.
post #15 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2008-12-18, 07:46 PM

Your wife could be doing something at the same time that she is not aware of, which might be causing the hang-ups. Does she use a high wattage steamer nearby or something?

I was using a high wattage steamer to iron my shirts and the device draws a lot of power and my router was on the same breaker along with other powered electronics. Caused the breaker to trip...

In another room with all the multi-lights switched ON, the lights dimmed...

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60

Tags
byod , voip.ms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.