voip.ms discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-23, 07:14 PM
kbl
Rookie

Angry LNP Wait Time

Glad I'm not the only one with LNP (porting) issues...

The service from voip.ms seems professional but their LNP process is killing me... I've been waiting since November 2008 to port my Toronto number. Unfortunately, I'll be ditching them if they cannot get it done before the end of this month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-23, 10:44 PM

Call ID / VoIP BYOD in Vancouver

Wow..had a chat with VoIP.ms support and found out that call display is charged extra PER USE...
I have never seen somthing that strange. They told me that if I receive a call more than 1 time a week I would not be charged for the additional call id showings, but the next week I would have to pay for it again.

Sounds like a strange concept. Too bad, because I wanted to go with them.

Anybody that can reommend a VoIP provder for Vancouver, BC that is around $10/month and includes local calls and call ID plus BYOD. Voicemail needs to be disabled.

Any suggestions, because netfone is not on my list after they dropped the ball on me before I even got started with them.

Thank you,
schag001
post #48 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-23, 11:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schag001 View Post
Wow..had a chat with VoIP.ms support and found out that call display is charged extra PER USE...
I have never seen somthing that strange. They told me that if I receive a call more than 1 time a week I would not be charged for the additional call id showings, but the next week I would have to pay for it again.
Yeah but it's only 1.2 cents per lookup in the LIBD/CNAM database .... like wow if that's too expensive for you then I don't know what to say.

CallerID Name Lookup
For Callers with a US/Canadian CallerID number, perform a lookup in the LIBD/CNAM database to find the name matching the number. When activated, the system will display the result of this query in the CallerID name portion of the CallerID, leading to a "CallerID name" <5551231234> format when people call your number.

post #49 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-24, 12:56 PM
kbl
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl View Post
Glad I'm not the only one with LNP (porting) issues...

The service from voip.ms seems professional but their LNP process is killing me... I've been waiting since November 2008 to port my Toronto number. Unfortunately, I'll be ditching them if they cannot get it done before the end of this month.
Finally... a FOC date of March 5th!
post #50 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Is anyone else having problems with server dropout? I seem to be changing servers from montreal to toronto, and back again, on fairly regular intervals -- most recently this Monday. What might be causing this problem?
post #51 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 02:28 PM
Veteran

I observe dropouts from time-to-time on both Toronto and Montreal servers. I haven't been able to really identify the root cause yet.
post #52 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-26, 01:09 PM

I heard from Martin a senior official at voip.ms that ontario/quebec ports should take about 2 weeks now.
post #53 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-26, 02:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymoly View Post
I heard from Martin a senior official at voip.ms that ontario/quebec ports should take about 2 weeks now.
Well, my port request went in exactly 10 days ago (8 days since the time they actually forwarded the request to the outgoing carrier) so we shall see!
post #54 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-26, 05:50 PM

I'm thinking about switching from Primus VOIP Talkbroadband to voip.ms. Does anyone know if I am able to port my Primus phone number over to voip.ms?

Also for e911, is it a US customer only feature or is it available to Canadian customers?
post #55 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-26, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Newbie here.. I'm fed up with paying too much for Phone/Internet/Basic cable.. thanks to DH Forum - I'm on my way to getting free (HD OTA) tv and cheaper phone service.. Too bad I haven't found a more economical internet yet!

Originally considering Vonage/Primus... but then stumbled across this thread which caught my interest... unfortunately, voip.ms website isn't newbie friendly... maybe it's just me but it's doesn't provide enough info on how to get started (what you need, etc).. anyway glad I'm getting bits and pieces here from this thread.

So from what I can understand (someone correct me please if I'm wrong..):
- if I want to continue using my existing regular telephones, I need to get one of those Voice Gateway/routers.. (any recommendation)?
- if I don't want to use/port my old tel #, sign up for voip.ms to get the DID # for the location I want, plus options like 911, call display...

Is it really that easy? If so, I guess the only advantage of going with Primus or Vonage (and paying more $/mo) is the support for the device and not having to purchase devices??

Few things I'm not clear on..
- is Visual Call Waiting feature... is this supported?
- has anyone successfully used this for Home Alarm systems??
- I understand there's different charges for different quality. I was looking at the order page for DID # which says 1.49Cent/min + $1.99/mo + 50Cent setup. But then looking at the termination rates for Toronto - it says $0.0049/min value or $0.0125/min premium... ????

Thanks.
post #56 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-26, 05:58 PM
Rookie

it just hit me... the 1.49Cents/min is the rate I'd be paying (plus extra charges like Call display) when receiving incoming calls..

And the Termination rate 0.49Cent/min or 1.25Cents/min is what I'd be paying to make outgoing calls? I'm assuming when you sign up you can select the quality you want to use when making outgoing calls?

If I'm understanding this correctly, why is there 2 options for outgoing quality and only 1 option for incoming? What is the quality of the incoming call?

sorry for the newbie Q's..
post #57 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-26, 09:15 PM
apn

aooa,

I'm new to voip.ms too, and there's a lot of material to go through.

Quote:
the 1.49Cents/min is the rate I'd be paying (plus extra charges like Call display) when receiving incoming calls
Yes, this is the per-minute plan pricing, or you can have unlimited incoming for $8.95/mo

Quote:
Termination rate 0.49Cent/min or 1.25Cents/min is what I'd be paying to make outgoing calls? I'm assuming when you sign up you can select the quality you want to use when making outgoing calls?
Yes, these are the stated rates for Canada on the Value and Premium routing options respectively, however, the current value rate is actually 0.51 right now. Calls to the US are 1.05c/min (value) and 1.25c/min (premium). Note that you also pay for toll-free termination at a rate of 0.25c/min

There are two routing options to provide different levels of quality at different prices. I recall reading that CallerID is guaranteed on premium termination but best effort on value. You select your preferred routing option in your account preferences, but there are also dialling prefixes to override that setting and force a specific routing.

One thing I find odd is that it's cheaper to call the UK on premium (1.14c/min) than it is to call within North America (1.25c/min)

One more thing on the routing. Fearing the worst, I initially setup everything for premium routing. The quality was great, but I recently switched my NA calls to value and not really noticed any difference.

Finally, note that I've only been using voip.ms on termination; testing an alternative to my soon-to-be-gone Rogers VOIP service. I'm about to take the plunge into origination, and for that I have a bunch of questions myself.
post #58 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-26, 09:27 PM
apn

voip.ms for Origination (DID)

I've been testing voip.ms termination for a couple of weeks (using PAP2T-NA) and I'm very happy with the results.

I was already thinking about DID porting, but Rogers' announcement to drop its VOIP offering (4/22/09) is going to accelerate my decision. However, before taking the plunge, I have some (noobie) questions about voip.ms DID services;

1. Voice Mail: Is voip.ms or my ATA providing this and where are the messages stored? Is there a mailbox storage (minute) limit etc?

2. VMWI: I recall reading something about voip.ms and/or my ATA providing stuttered dialtone. My (Nortel/Panasonic) phones also have the (CLASS) VMWI feature to flash the msg waiting light. Is this an option on voip.ms?

3. SCWID aka Visual Call Waiting: My phones can also display the CallerID of incoming call-waiting calls. Is this an option on voip.ms?
post #59 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-27, 12:10 AM
Rookie

Lawnman,

newbie Q: Does each of your ATA have their own DID #... ?? Is it possible to have 1 DID # for multiple ATAs?

99Semaj, same question... does each VOIP phone have their own DID # or are all configured for the same DID #? Also, what do you mean by "WRT to alarm system"?

Thanks
post #60 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2009-02-27, 12:59 AM

aoo,

you should be able to have either. I am not using any DIDs with my ATAs. However, if I was to use DIDs, I should be able to use 1 DID# for all my ATAs, or a DID for each of the ATAs. It depends on your sub-accounts that you created via voip.ms.

also, if you are using paygo instead of monthly fees, voip.ms charges value/premium at 6-second billing.

I am using the value package (you can change it anytime) and it works great.

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60

Tags
byod , voip.ms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.