voip.ms discussion - Page 186 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #2776 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-10-05, 11:00 AM

I was using their CNAM service only during first two months of service (Dec last year and Jan this year). When I saw how useless it is, and how few hits it has I dropped it. If I really want to know the name behind the number, I just do it myself on-line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2777 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-10-07, 02:07 PM

The exchange rate is a killer on this service, I want to be able to pay with Canadian Dollars?
post #2778 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-10-08, 04:30 AM
Veteran

You'll just pay the higher rates then. They are going to get their $'s. Still reasonable.

post #2779 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-10-22, 11:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I'd like to ask this question to the entire forum. Is ANYBODY with VoIP.ms receiving CNAM on their incoming calls? Phone book entries aside, of course, since those entries don't query the CNAM server.

If you DO get CNAM on your incoming calls, for which cities do you get it?

Right now, I'm thinking that the issue may be Canada-wide. VoIP.ms is currently providing me with less information than a visit to "whitepages.ca".
I am getting some names that are not in my phone book, e.g. a car dealership in Richmond Hill, Capital One (800 number), local drugstore in Hamilton. There are names for calls from Hamilton, Stratford, Belleville, Halifax, North Bay, Oakville, Burlington. The bulk of the numbers don't have a name.
I'm using an Aastra digital phone, if that matters.
post #2780 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-01, 06:57 PM

Hi, I just signed up and registered with voip.ms. It's working like a charm so far.

One thing I haven't quite figured out yet is how do I configure the number of rings before voice mail answers? I have my 'ring time in seconds' set to 4 (20 sec). However, I tried calling my DID number from my cell phone but the voicemail doesn't answer. Is there a different setting for this?
post #2781 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 07:59 AM

Check two places.

Under Account Settings, check that our voicemail is properly listed. On the right side of that page is a button for Failover options. make sure they are also correct.

Phil
post #2782 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 04:16 PM

Contacted voip.ms tech support. I just had to change my DID failover options to 'none' instead of SIP / IAX. This allows the voicemail to kick in at the set ring number (sec) that I select.
post #2783 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 09:49 PM

Making Mom along distance service

From my initial search, I'm beginning to think this is possible...

Mum's going nuts trying to read the little print on her long distance plan card.

Couldn't I set up an IVR triggered by her callerid that then gives her a menu:

Press 1 to speak to me...
Press 2 to forward the call to UK relative's number
Press 3 to forward call to US relative's number

I like the idea of the menu beacuse then she doesn't have to remember country codes and all that stuff for the UK relative.

Thoughts?

Antennas Direct C2V antenna pointed @ curved building NE. DB4e pointed SSE. Cable free since May 2011.

Last edited by dheian; 2015-11-09 at 09:52 PM. Reason: sigh...that should say "a long" not "along"
post #2784 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 03:18 AM
Veteran

I believe you can do call forwarding as choices. I have it set up but have not really used it. What I read though is you will pay incoming and outgoing rates.(makes sense)
post #2785 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 03:00 PM

Well I just got set up with Voip.ms.

They just ported my number over this morning. (8:55) Though to my surprise my Shaw line is still active. My understanding was once the number was ported it should have been cancelled. *puzzled stare* Maybe it just takes time. (11 AM and there is still a dial tone.)

I have my ATA set up and working, as well as CSipsimple on my cell. Though it took me a few tries, as I had used the wrong info....on both. Doh! It took me a bit to figure out just what I had done wrong but I did finally figure it out.

The quality seems fine from my limited testing. All I could get was answering machines at my friends/neighbours so no actual discussion but it sounded fine from my end so I'm hoping it sounds fine the other way too.

YAY for cheap phone and "free cell phone service".

P.S.

I just checked my email and it turns out Shaw says it should have been cancelled with the porting, but the email from Voip.ms states I am now free to cancel previous providers services.

Also, they informed me my current setup is not recommend and I should create a sub-account for one of the devices, as it is now it can lead to issues. Loving the customer service so far. I had no idea until they mentioned it.
post #2786 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-25, 04:11 PM

Occasional choopy outgoing voice with Zoiper

While doing some work at the U of T, I've been checking in with my mother using the Zoiper app as it's free to call her place with WiFi as opposed to my prepaid cell account.

Anyhoo...

Sometimes she's unable to hear me properly though she's coming in clear and when I get home and call her she says my earlier calls sounded like robotic gobbledygook underwater.

Just used the speedtest app from the building I call from.

The WiFi is 3ms ping. 24Mbps down and 17Mbps up. So wassup? Hell, my home internet is, sadly, only 512kbps up and that's always crystal clear.

Is there any setting I should be checking on either the Zoiper app or my voip.ms subaccount to see why my outgoing sound is sometimes unintelligible?

Thanks.

Antennas Direct C2V antenna pointed @ curved building NE. DB4e pointed SSE. Cable free since May 2011.
post #2787 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-26, 04:38 PM

I'm new to Voip myself (and loving) but have you tried a different Voip.ms server?

It's possible the issue lies along the route between point A and point B. There is not much one can do if this is the case. Short of changing servers to possibly bypass the trouble spot.

Also, which service are you using? If you are using the Value plan you may wish to try the Premium. Though I've been using Premium and though not the same issues I have a bit of garbing and minor cutting out in some calls. Especially if we talk over each other. Most calls are fine though. They are all local calls routed through Vancouver.
post #2788 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-26, 05:12 PM

I'm on the Chicago server (voip.ms moved me there) and I use premium routing. No problem with the service at home, I am a long time customer, but it is just this intermittent issue with Zoiper.

Sent from my phone. Spelling misturks caused by large thumbs.

post #2789 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-11-26, 06:22 PM

Have you considered using a different softphone to test if it's Zoiper itself? (Though I suspect not, it's worth a shot.)

P.S.

Oh, and you could try adding/limiting different codec options. It may be using one of them poorly. Though this is just a guess on my part. I'm just throwing stuff out there.
post #2790 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 05:17 AM
Premium Supporter

Also consider that a problem may lie with the WiFi hotspot itself. For a long while, I had a problem with voip.ms on my home Internet connection. I later learned I never specified how my router should handle VoIP traffic. Until I corrected that option, there was a fair chance my calls would become garbled or even simply get dropped — but it didn't happen every time.
Just a thought!

Last edited by downbeat; 2015-12-20 at 06:16 AM.

Tags
byod , voip.ms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.