voip.ms discussion - Page 177 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #2641 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 07:55 PM

I can't recall anytime in the last 6 months that I was not able to make an outgoing VOIP call. In fact, my cordless phones are less reliable than my VOIP connection. Occasionally the phones will fail to connect to the base station. Other times they go from 3 bars of power to 0. Not to mention power failures. They do last a long time on the battery but the indicator is useless. So if I were to look for a weak link in the 911 scenario it would be the cordless phone. I do have a corded phone installed so I can still make calls during power outages.

I also have my cell phone as back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 10:56 PM

You mean 911 from a UPS powered VOIP connection? Or landline? Reason I say this, my telco even gives dial tone for people on dry loop, for 911 & line ID purposes.

Cell could be considered backup unless it was a disaster scenario (rare) Like if tower gets knocked down or overloaded. Either way probably screwed regardless haha.

Just read story of people in an area hit by Katrina may not ever get copper put back. No landline/DSL since. Terrible.

Sorry it's off topic. I'm out.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #2643 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 09:43 AM

I didn't mention it but I have my ATA connected to a UPS. But my main point was that despite that if all you have is a cordless phone then that is your primary flaw.

post #2644 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 10:05 AM
Veteran

I found VOIP (.ms) to be much less reliable than POTS over the 1+ year I had it. The ATA and cordless phone base sets were on UPS as well.
post #2645 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-01, 11:23 PM

Compressed voicemail attachments

I thought I would let everyone know that VOIP.MS has changed the default codec used to record and email voicemails from uncompressed to something else called WAV49. My Nexus 7 can no longer play the email attachments using the built-in player and the new compressed format.

To get around this you now have the option in the VOIP website portal to select WAV or WAV49. Switching to WAV restored playback for me on my Nexus.

WAV49 FORMAT
GSM 6.10
13 kbps
8kHz
Mono

WAV FORMAT
PCM
128 kbps
8 kHz
Mono
16 bit
post #2646 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 07:03 AM
Veteran

Good catch Jake.

They are usually pretty good about letting us know what changes they've made but I guess they dropped the ball on this one.

Our last VM played fine on the iPhones but since we don't know when they actually made this change we will have to wait for another VM to see if the iPhones are also affected by this.

Edit: Just left a VM for ourselves and the iPhones played it fine.

Last edited by notsure; 2013-06-02 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Update
post #2647 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
I found VOIP (.ms) to be much less reliable than POTS over the 1+ year I had it. The ATA and cordless phone base sets were on UPS as well.
I'd estimate most VOIP providers are less reliable than POTS (99.999%) That's one reason why I haven't switched a long time ago like many people have. I don't like paying what I pay, although I do get a discount on TV & Internet through my work, who is a dealer for our incumbent. I like tinkering with settings, but when it comes to phone service, I wouldn't like having to mess around with server settings or something, to keep my phone working.

I probably say this too often, but once I can afford to switch my alarm to cellular, then it won't matter. In some ways, I'll miss the old telephone network when it's gone.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #2648 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 10:36 PM

VoIP.ms was very reliable when I first joined it. Since 2010 I had lots of issues with it. Calls disconnecting, one-way audio, losing registration constantly, and a few other irritations. We moved our lines to a different voip provider and every single one of these issues completely disappeared. I believe VoIP can be reliable, but it needs to be harnessed in a reliable network with reliable servers and technical staff that know how to pinpoint and resolve the issues instead of stating it must be your router or it must be your Asterisk server or it must be the CLEC calling you causing the issues. That's not good at all. It's a shame because it's not like we have a ton of VoIP companies to choose from yet. It would be decent if it was more reliable like it was a few years ago.
post #2649 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyTown View Post
...I believe VoIP can be reliable, but it needs to be harnessed in a reliable network with reliable servers...
Would some form of tunneling (or whatever it's called) help improve reliability? My assumption is that VOIP doesn't perform at the same level as POTS because the PSTN only has one purpose, telephony.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do voip providers (such as voip.ms, to keep this relevant to the thread) use any encryption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyTown View Post
It's a shame because it's not like we have a ton of VoIP companies to choose from yet.
Really? I got the impression from the little searching I've done for providers that there are many. Seems like anyone with an internet connection can start one. Unless they ALL require POP's within an incumbents' central office? I see a local VOIP provider (Les.net) has many POP's through my incumbent. I thought maybe there are VOIP resellers whose service runs through a larger VOIP provider such as Les.net, negating the need for a direct POP?

I kind of get the impression that a lot of them may be fly-by-night type of companies.

Am I babbling? Haha.

post #2650 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
Just left a VM for ourselves and the iPhones played it fine.
Reading online it seems that Android devices were affected by the change while iOS devices were fine. While it was possible to download an app that supported the GSM codec it is a pain for the less savvy. Assuming they figured out what the problem was. If they were like me they may have assumed there was something wrong with their hardware or the message was corrupt. It is not help that I just so happened to change a setting on the portal. I thought maybe I accidentally changed a setting.

I liked the fact that the voice message plays seamlessly inside my gmail app. I assume this is native support because I don't recall ever installing a sound app. Hopefully, Google will add support for this codec in an update.
post #2651 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 08:13 AM

Hi all,

I'm with voip.ms for my phone line and Shad Direct for TV. Shaw's receivers allow a caller ID to be displayed on the TV when a call is incoming. For some reason though my CID on the TV only works <10% of the time. Are there any settings on my Obi110 or Voip.ms account that I would change to get it to work more frequently?

Thanks.
post #2652 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 09:53 AM

Just guessing here. Maybe it's your rate plan? Are you on their premium or value? It says CID can't be guaranteed on the value plan

post #2653 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 10:10 AM

CID on the phone always works, its on the TV where it's infrequent.
post #2654 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 10:48 AM
Veteran

I had this problem for a while but it turned out to be the PVR (it was from Bell). When we got a newer PVR, the issue "resolved" itself.

So, just guessing, maybe it's a hardware problem?

We've since fixed this problem permanently by cancelling all our Bell services.
post #2655 of 2800 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 10:59 AM

LOL. good choice.
I have 2 Shaw PVRs and a replacement, so 3 in total that I've tried and all with the same issue. I don't doubt that it's more than likely a hardware issue (as the older receivers always worked using my primus internet + phone) but I'm just looking for suggestions on settings to try out.

Tags
byod , voip.ms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in