Can I use a fax machine with a VOIP phone? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-03, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Can I use a fax machine with a VOIP phone?

I searched but maybe I'm using the wrong terms, but as above can I use a fax machine with a VOIP phone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-03, 10:45 PM

i have used a fax machine occasionnally to send and receive with Primus VOIP. No issues

(I've done maybe a dozen pages in the past 2 years)

P

Panny 47wx52, DMR-e80*C DSR500x2, XBOX 360, Toshiba 26hf84, LG 37LC2D
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 01:57 AM
Veteran

I just had an idea worthy of Rube Goldberg himself... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

Has anyone ever tried doing a dialup connection over a VOIP phone running over ADSL or cable?

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 12:04 PM

I know it works on Vonage. Our office has had a Vonage fax line for quite some time, which connects into an iMac which we use to recieve incoming faxes. The iMac fax recieving software has some issues, but the line works just fine. We also use the computer for outgoing faxes too. Nothing like pasting a signature box on a .pdf and, voila, legal fax document.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 01:36 PM

my comwave line sends and receives faxes well
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-05, 02:59 PM

I've sent/received faxes over CIA...

but I had issues when I hooked my by Bell Receiver to my phone line so that it could dial out to order PPV, (this did not work for some reason).

djino
"you, faxing works on most VOIP"
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-07, 05:26 PM

I've used a modem on VoIP providers. It works.

Here's a geeky useful application:

I was in Toronto. Primus has a gateway number in Toronto that I can call to get a dialtone on my Talk Broadband service. So I set the dial # to dial the gateway, log into my account, get my Regina dialtone, and call my Regina ISP.

52kbps, but awful latency (800 ms). Still, good enough considering it cost me nothing to use at all.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-09, 04:01 PM

I'm with Primus, and I've had no problems with faxing. In fact, my fax machine has worked better since switching. I was living in this townhouse in Montreal that must have had some pretty crummy wiring. I was with Bell at the time, and had to limit the bandwidth on my fax for incoming signals because I couldn't receive faxes. Sending faxes were no problem. Once I switched to Primus, I could use the full capacity of my fax machine in both directions.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-10, 07:31 AM

Fax over VoIP - NOT Good !!!

My Bell VoIP was apparently NOT availble for fax, Bell said. So for my first 3 months in Ottawa I had faxes sent to my apartment's Bell landline.

Then someone at Bell tried to send faxes to me & they worked. The excellent Canon all-in-one MultiPass phone-in technicians said their units were not good with faxes.

So I bought a new Brother 240C (also one for my Winnipeg office but that's on an MTS landline), hoping that newer technology would be better. No difference, it seems. There are still occasional blanks or No Signals.

By now my clients & friends know I use one number for fax & phone. So they & I'll suffer along, not too bad since faxing is less used nowadays.

But I'd recommend a separate landline for faxes, or maybe Primus or Vonage's VoIP inclusive fax number, they said VoIP-configured for faxes. Denzil
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-24, 06:48 AM

So how do you use a fax machine on Primus TBB? Do I just connect the fax machine to the Linksys Gateway and dial away?
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-24, 09:55 AM

Exactly

djino
" "
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-24, 03:18 PM

When faxing with Primus, it' necessary to use the higher bandwidth codec. Usually this isn't a problem, but some users find that their ISP connection needs to be used with the lower bandwidth codec, which will cause a problem for faxing, of course.

Steve
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-24, 10:06 PM

So how do I use a higher bandwidth codec? By next week, I'll be on a 6mbit/sec connection.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-26, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
So how do I use a higher bandwidth codec? By next week, I'll be on a 6mbit/sec connection.
It's set via the MyTBB online portal. I expect that Primus CS or TS could also set it for you. I believe that your account defaults to the high bandwidth codec, but I could be wrong about that.

By the way, simply having a lot of bandwidth is only good if there is little congestion. There are other issues that affect call quality (including faxing reliability) more than bandwidth.

Steve
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 2007-02-26, 10:27 AM

For those interested, there are two different ways that VoIP devices handle faxes:
1) G711 passthrough - Since the high compression, low data rate codecs destroy the tones used for faxes and modems, the ATAdetects that the transmission is a fax/modem, it should automatically switch its codec to G711 from which ever codec it uses for voice calls (typically G729 or G723). G711 is a 64 kbps codec, once you add the ip overhead etc, you're looking at almost 100 kbps. The G711 is the same codec that telcos use to transfer voice calls along digital trunk lines.

2) T.38 (sometimes called Fax Relay) - Again, the ATA detects that the call is a fax, it converts the fax information to digital packets and spoofs the tones back to the fax machine. It then sends the data packets off to the PSTN gateway where the reverse occurs. The gateway converts the data packets back to fax tones and spoofs the tones to the receiving fax machine. This method can usually maintain a standard "high speed" fax at ~20 kbps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.