Can I use a fax machine with a VOIP phone? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 01:16 PM

Voip.ms faxing success. I used Epson Artisan 810 connected to Cisco SPA122 behind the router, on a voip.ms value line. The only configuration change I made in the ATA was: Fax Disable ECAN from "no" to "yes". All other settings unchanged. I called Canon Test Fax Service at 1-855-392-2666. The transmission was smooth send and receive. The Epson displayed communication error message on receive, but the Canon test page came in 100% perfect.
I will be using Epson only to send occasional faxes, not to receive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 08:25 PM

This may have been said in the previous three pages but I've successfully faxed countless pages using a Canon M5770 multifunction device over... MagicJack.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-08-19, 05:05 PM

Faxing with VOIPms - no go

Teksavvy 30/5 plan, OBIHAI 202 and VOIPms.

Faxing with a Xerox Workcentre 3315 and have less than a 40 percent success rate. It appears that the delay is just too great for this to work.

Should also point out that the fax machine is on a separate dedicated SIP (sub account) on port 2 of the OBI.

Any suggestions?

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 2015-08-19, 05:08 PM

Look in the admin guide http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm for how to set up a star code for $NOJI1 and $NOEC1. This might help for sending faxes, but not receiving. Also, lower the speed of your fax to 9600. If faxing is important to you, try VoIP.ms's beta online fax service or FreePhoneLine which supports T.38 (but has no technical support).

For a supported solution, AcroVoice has a non-beta online fax service, and their phone service supports T.38 which should ensure reliable faxing.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-07-19, 09:09 AM
Rookie

Possibly the answer is no. FAX was actually designed for analog network and cannot travel on VoIP network. Both are incompatible and the biggest challenge is the way VoIP signal coverts audio into computer language, it distorts the signals from fax and it can't be understood on the other hand. VoIP service provider to have this problem resolved.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-07-19, 09:57 AM

A virtual fax service, such as MyFax, would provide a workaround.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-07-19, 03:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
FAX was actually designed for analog network and cannot travel on VoIP network
That is incorrect. A properly operating VoIP link is indistinguishable from a regular TDM digital voice channel. However, the question remains whether you get good enough VoIP over the public Internet. I have set up FAX over VoIP, a few times, and it worked well. There is even a FAX CODEC that's designed to work over VoIP

BTW, there hasn't even been a true analog network for many years. A regular POTS line is analog only as far as the exchange. It's G.711 digital elsewhere, unless someone runs a lower bandwidth CODEC to save costs.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-07-19, 04:50 PM
Veteran

I do not use it often but have had great success with voip.ms and obihai. Faxing worked fine for me.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-07-20, 05:49 AM
Rookie

Yes, It is correct because FAX communication uses the analog signal in a different way to regular voice communication. When VoIP technology digitize the analog voice communication, it is optimized for voice not for Fax signaling. Best way to use FAX machine with VoIP phone is to use VOIP gateway and connect it with ATA i.e Analog Telephony Adapter that supports T38.

However you can get this issue resolved via contacting VoIP service provider as well. He will guide you well to make FAX machine works well with VoIP phone system.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 2016-07-20, 04:25 PM
Veteran

^^^^
That depends on the CODEC used. Cell phone CODECs, designed to minimize bandwidth are strictly voice only. However, the G.711 CODEC, as often used for VoIP, is the exact same CODEC used for the full 64 Kb digital voice channel. As I mentioned, I have set up FAX over VoIP. That said, there may be issues with using it over the public Internet, due to latency etc..

BTW, you're talking to someone who's worked in the telecom industry for many, many years and first came across digital voice carriers in 1975.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.