Can I use a fax machine with a VOIP phone? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-05-15, 02:39 PM
Rookie

comwave and fax

Hey all,

i have the following:

(1) dsl 3.5mpbs
(2) comwave softphone

another user posted here about being able to send and receive faxes with

comwave. if so i have been researching for months on this idea. no luck.

appears to me 1 needs intermediary service to help you get virtual fax,

phone, or fax to email account. there must be a way for those of us who can

practically not afford internet service.

please help, thanks.

chevv@hotmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-05-15, 03:58 PM
Member #1

I don't know about using the softphone service but if you use the regular comwave service and use one of the higher bitrate codecs you should have no problem.

p.s. Why are you posting your email address? Doing so just invites more spam from spam harvesters.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-10-06, 01:00 AM

Just in case you don't know yet - you can have very reliable fax2email services for free.
Callcentric offers this as a basic feature on its free accounts (in Call Treatments). Just get DID, free from IPKall, or paid, and forward calls to your callcentric account. You just got a virtual fax machine for incoming faxes.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-10-07, 07:39 PM

I sent a fax to the UK on Sunday from my phone at home (via Access Communications Digital Voice service) and it worked just fine.

Good VoIP can do fax. It depends on the codec in use, and good VoIP can tell you're faxing and use a good codec.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-11-22, 03:50 AM
Rookie

I have problems sending fax over VOIP lines but incoming seems to work fine. My VOIP provider does not support faxing but try to change some settings on your VOIP adapter and chances are it might work...
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 07:50 AM

Faxing with VoIP.ms

How reliable is VoiP.ms? Primus TBB recently almost never receives faxes on my phone line in Ottawa. Sending mostly still works. Vonage mostly OK in or out. This after many hours of talking to both Tech Supports & to Canon & Brother fax all-in-one call-centres. Vonage gave the most useful & accurate tips, and phd back on time to check how I was doing.

Bell was also unreliable, often gave "poor line condition". Tech support & billing service both lousy. I'll never use Bell in any form again, not even for new Palm 3 smart-phone.

I have signed up with MyFax.com, Ottawa-designed and supported fax service, rated best by one survey. Rate is a decent clean $10 a month.

(I dislike & avoid any dumb, insulting & inconvenient $xx.99 rates, on purchases & at restaurants. I would prefer VoIP.ms incoming toll-free rate to be 3c even & not the dumb, insulting & inconvenient 2.9c!).

VoIP.ms & MyFax.com could get together!

FeinDenz
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-08-15, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masula View Post
I have problems sending fax over VOIP lines but incoming seems to work fine. My VOIP provider does not support faxing but try to change some settings on your VOIP adapter and chances are it might work...
On the contrary, sending for me (on Primus VOIP/ TBB) is a non-issue and I've used it quite few times since I got Primus TBB, receiving however, has NEVER worked for me...

I used to think the Canon MFC I'm using has an issue but I don't think that is the case...

Anyone know of a dedicated VOIP Faxing thread? I searched but couldn't find...

TIA!
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 12:36 PM

FeinDenz, how has your MyFax service been working lately? I stopped using them shortly after the takeover by j2 and haven't heard anything about them since. Hopefully no news is good news.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-05-13, 07:37 PM
Rookie

I am using PamFax (pink site) it is pretty good. I believe it was about $65/y or something like that. I think it is a good idea to have different providers for the voip and fax.
I am too using voip.ms
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-05-13, 08:13 PM
Cap

For me lower the baud rate on the fax machine to 9600. That solved my issues. i can send and receive no problem on voip.ms.

50PX75U, (rogers') 8300HDPVR, 42PD50, Macbook Pro
Imac 3.2ghz, Apple TV2, Iphone4, Time Capsule, VOIP Line,
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-05-18, 01:46 AM

Since this thread has been revived, I'll say that over the years, I've gone from eFax to Callwave to OneSuite for incoming faxing.

eFax is still some crazy price (and even crazier in Canada than US) while OneSuite is $1/mo for unlimited incoming. I have two accounts with them, my original with a US fax # and later we signed up for another account primarily to add a Canadian fax #, which has proved really helpful with places that won't dial long distance. We also found 3 zipdial (?) numbers simply wasn't enough, so we have 5-6 mobile and landline numbers spread across the two accounts for outgoing LD. We've even used it occasionally with our Primus TBB unlimited-NA line, to make calls overseas for less than TBB prices.

OneSuite is a prepaid service with a U$10 minimum. That's enough for almost a year of faxing if you don't make any LD calls, and the monthly fax charge keeps the account alive (needs some activity every 6 mos).

=aw
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 01:37 PM
Rookie

Help!?!

Hello,

I have been trying for some time now to get faxes to send using T.38 codec and G711/G729, and have had nothing but a world of trouble with it.

We are routing it through a Mera MVTS II 1.4 softswitch.

PSTN to PSTN. The faxes start communicating, but then after about 40 seconds the fax fails.

Can anyone offer any tips or insight on this?
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 10:50 PM

I have Anveo VoIP, Linksys PAP2T adapter and Samsung fax machine connected to Linksys.
Receiving faxes goes OK, sort of. Sending faxes is more sporadic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Today tried many times to send 3 page fax to Europe and it failed every time. Very frustrating.
Anveo tech support says that it is what it is and that VoIP is not so good to transmit faxes.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 10:56 PM

Try using Anveo's feature that allows you to upload a PDF. That will be more reliable than a PAP2T on a residential internet connection.

If you must use a physical fax machine, try setting Network Jitter Level to Very High or Extremely High if that option exists. You should also set Jitter Buffer Adjustment to Disable. Finally, set your fax to 9600 bps or "overseas mode" if it is not already. When sending or receiving faxes, don't use your internet connection for anything else unless you have very strict QoS rules set up in your router.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 2014-09-23, 09:45 PM

New report, pretty much in line of previous one. I listened Mango and tried to fine tune all parameters that is possible. It is still bad, very bad. Today I tried to send a fax and it redialled automatically until exhausted. Then I tried again and same result. COMM ERROR.

Then I sent fax through Anveo fax service. It was easy to do it on-line but I will never know did recipient get the fax or not? Never received any feedback from Anveo. I am not doing that any time soon as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.