looking for voip provider - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeresident View Post
Phils :I have not spent much time looking at voip.ms although those that use it seem to like it. Seemed not exactly Plug & Play. I am computer savvy, but not so much on network stuff.
Actually, VOIP.MS has a lot of features so if you want to get fancy, it can get complicated. It sounds like your aptitude profile is similar to mine. I personally had a lot of issues getting it going initially as my router wasn't VOIP-friendly. I changed my router and it resolved all my issues. I suspect I would have had the same issues regardless of the provider.

The good part about VOIP.MS is that it is almost risk free to try it. The way I proceeded was:

1. I added $25 to my VOIP.MS account. (That is the minimum you need to start but unused amounts are refunded if you leave.)
2. I installed my VoIP adapter on my network. I have the PAPT2 which was the most popular adapter at that time. The Ooma has to be more user-friendly.
3. Basically, you do not need to have a phone number to make a call - only to receive. All I did was test outgoing calls at the $0.01 and at the $0.005 rate and was very impressed with the call quality at both rates - so I decided to stick to the cheaper rate. Everything was working great.
4. I ported my phone number from Bell. That is when I started having problems receiving calls which ultimately was tracked down to my router. Technically, it's much easier to dial out with VoIP than it is to receive as receiving requires the system to actually find you. When you dial out, there is no such limitation.
5. What I probably should have done was rent a phone number (DID) from VoIP.MS for $0.99 for my tests. That would have revealed my inbound call issue. Had I done that, I might not have gone to VoIP at all and in the end that would have ben a mistake as it's been great ever since.
6. Since I was committed at that point, I changed my router and finally solved my issues.

In summary, you are right. For me it wasn't plug and play because of my router but it would have come close if I had had a different router. The positives to come out of it is that VoIP.MS tech support proved to be excellent and I learned a lot.

One thing you could do to test call quality is to use a softphone on your PC or your cell phone as a VoIP client. I personally use the C-SIP Simple android app on my cell phone and that is as close to plug and play as it goes regardless of the provider. VoIP.MS is on the list of international providers in C-SIP Simple so all you do is select VoIP.MS, enter your user id and password and you're good to go. You can use it with a data plan on your cell phone, I personally only use it on WiFi. The cost will be the cost per minute for as many minutes that you use. It's a very cheap way to test and to learn.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-12-01, 05:58 PM
Veteran

There is a very good thread here on voip.ms configuration. I knew absolutely nothing about voip and had it up quickly.

OOMA should be fine. A decent ATA could cost $89.99 so it's a good deal. I'm still trying to figure out how they plan to make money in the long term. For anyone who is interested, the $89.99 deal is still available today (Dec 1.)
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how they plan to make money in the long term.
Ooma makes money by charging $10 per month for their Premier service, which adds many features over the basic "free" service. It's likely that a significant number of Ooma users subscribe to Premier.
http://ca.ooma.com/how-ooma-works/features

They also make money from their long distance charges for calls outside the free calling zone.

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 12:15 PM
Veteran

Thanks, I wasn't aware that Ooma had a premier service. At $10/mo it would be easy to make money. I've noticed that some of these "free" services tend to have fairly high priced "premium" plans. I guess that's OK if you don't mind subsidizing the free users by paying for a higher priced premium service. Personally, I'd rather pay less for a usage based VOIP plan.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-12-03, 12:15 AM

A big chunk of their revenues also comes from the sale of their proprietary ATAs and accessories which are priced well above other options.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-12-14, 04:04 PM

My two cents about Ooma. Some people love Ooma, some hate it. I am very technically capable. I tried Ooma and I could not get it to work.
I am on cable 20/10 connection. I tried Ooma before the router, after the router, and every configuration I could do. The call quality was inconsistent. Sometimes excellent, sometimes terrible. I spent to much time configuring Ooma so I returned it. There servers are only in California which might contribute to the problem.
If you would like to try Ooma, buy it in a store where you can return it. Costco has 90 days to return the device.
Currently I have Cisco SPA122 in bridge mode, behind the router and I'm connected to two VOIP service providers. Voip.ms for US and Canada, and Callcentric outbound only for Europe. The service is excellent. Configure once and forget it.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-12-17, 09:25 PM

I've been trying to go through all the different providers and I'm getting buried in information. Could anyone make a suggestion for a choice of VOIP provider for my situation?

I will be forwarding calls from my office to my home for 2 days a week. It could last one month or could be year after year. I have a computer with a headset, cellphone with wifi/bluetooth. I only need a phone number so I can forward calls, I don't need any other service. I have no other phones or equipment. I'm somewhat tech savvy, but voip.ms sounds like it is over my head. Would it be best to just buy a Magic Jack and a cheap corded phone?
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-12-17, 11:46 PM

I have ooma , no issues. Agree with what was said above- buy it at Costco so it it does not do what you need, you can return it. I work from home and I am on the phone for 2-3 hours some days. Zero complaints from anyone on the other end about call quality, however it may depend on your location. Mine came with the wireless adapter - which was crap - cut out over and over, wired has no issues.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-12-18, 06:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I've been trying to go through all the different providers and I'm getting buried in information. Could anyone make a suggestion for a choice of VOIP provider for my situation?

I will be forwarding calls from my office to my home for 2 days a week. It could last one month or could be year after year. I have a computer with a headset, cellphone with wifi/bluetooth. I only need a phone number so I can forward calls, I don't need any other service. I have no other phones or equipment. I'm somewhat tech savvy, but voip.ms sounds like it is over my head. Would it be best to just buy a Magic Jack and a cheap corded phone?
I like CallCentric. You would only have to get a number and an incoming plan. Call treatments let you forward calls conditionally or absolutely for any flex/fixed period you want. Easily set up opn the net.

You can get a new Grandstream Handytone box from Amazon for under $30. CallCentric has excellent instructions on how to configure it on their site. If you don't actually need a physical phone, you might even be able to go without.

I winter in the US, rest of the year in Canada. My (Canadian) number follows the box. Folks back home call me on a local (to them) number, I auto forward to Canadian or US cell as required.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 2015-08-07, 07:21 PM

About 8 months later and Ooma seems to have been a reasonable choice. No technical issues. Setup was easy (have Telo box before router). Some communication problems when porting Bell number but it got done. And their web interface needs more work. But overall, satisfied esp at the price of under C$4.00/month. When we are in USA and our home system is turned off, Ooma still picks up voice mail and we can access that on-line. Also keeps a call log so we can see who was trying to call us even if they don't leave a message. We get free calling throughout Canada, but calls to USA would be 1.6c/min. But we use Skype when calling USA.
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 2015-08-08, 02:24 PM

I have 2 Ooma boxes.. one for biz, one for home.. both with the premium add on. I had to add a few buck so the wife could call Belgium.. couldn't believe how cheap it was. I probably don't need the premium for the old home number.. if I drop it it would cost me $3.97 a month. Very happy with the service.
Couple of things I have noticed.. depending on who I am talking to, either their voice or mine will set the box off to make a touch tone sound.. nobody hit the dial pad. The other issue I have is that you can't opt out of premium on line.. you have to call.
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 2015-08-09, 11:33 PM

We don't get that touch tone sound. Might be worth asking about it on the Ooma forum? There are some experts there that can be helpful.
View forum - Ooma Home

Last edited by 57; 2015-08-10 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 2016-07-14, 06:54 AM
Rookie

Good to hear that. From the day I've switched to VoIP technology, I've seen a great impact on my business. Cheers to The Real PBX, one of global VoIP provider who delivers cost-effective communication solutions to business of all sizes.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 2016-07-20, 02:08 PM
Veteran

I'm debating to switch to VoIP, however I have yet to find a VoIP provider in the GTA that offers an unlimited north american long distance plan for $10 dollars per month or similar. most of the providers charge you a per minute fee, though the fee its small, its still not what I am looking for.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 2016-07-21, 12:06 AM
Veteran

Voipo and Axvoice have unlimited calling plans for under $7/mo. Don't know anything about the companies or the quality of service. They require 1 or 2 year payment in advance. PhonePower has a prepaid plan for under $9.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.