looking for voip provider - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-19, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks again all!
Mango - Thanks for the informative post and recommendation on Acrovoice.

I have signed up with Acrovoice and will be post a review after my number ports and some run time.

I would like to say that Acrovoice thus far has had outstanding professional customer service, fast responses and have answered all questions in detail.
Night and day from another provider (PP) I contacted.
Keep up the good work Acrovoice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-07-20, 10:38 AM

Great to hear! I hope you're as delighted with their service as I am.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-09-24, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Hey Nexus,
I'd really like to hear how things are going with your Acrovoice service. I run a home-based business and am looking to also looking to port my number through business VoIP. I would also require a line for my house number too. I'm just overwhelmed with the amount of companies out there. For my home office I am considering using business VoIP from Primus Business Services . A big company like Primus just seems more reliable.
I'm kinda leaning towards using Primus for home as well, because when I called customer service, they were very helpful, do you think this is a good idea for a home phone? What has your experience been so far?
Thanks!
Catherine

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-26, 04:22 PM

Help choosing VOIP provider.

We are considering switching from Bell Landline to VOIP for home phone. Location is West of Kingston K0H1G0.

I am sure many here use VOIP and cellphone instead of Bell landline. Our immediate need is for VOIP as a replacement for Bell, mainly because of cost and minimal use. We would like to keep our existing number.

We have non-smart paygo cell phones that could be used if internet goes off. When we travel, we have Skype and a condo phone plus a cell with free US LD. So probably no need for VOIP to travel with us.

I have looked at several offerings:

Magic Jack - well established but not able to port our existing number. About $25 plus $3/month.

Fongo - Was Dell Voice. $59 for adapter, $25 to xfer number, $15 shipping, $4.95/month, unlimited LD

YAK - (We have our LD with them). $25 for adapter, keep existing number, $4.75/month. 200min of LD/month +1.9c/min

Looks like YAK might suit our needs best?

Several others, but don't seem competitive with above:
http://www.gonevoip.ca/residential-voip/

YAK mentions a need to set up port forwarding - do all providers need this done? We are on Cogeco cable. Not so easy because our router uses non-standard DDWRT software so another learning process needed!

Anyone converted recently and compared cost vs features of VOIP offerings in Ontario?
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-26, 10:10 PM
Rookie

CallCentric. Located in NYC but no problem porting (514) number. Pick a minimal use or industrial-sized plan. Lots of free features (forwarding, conditional forwarding, rejection etc.

http://www.callcentric.com/

You can find out right away if your number will port. Leave your current service active till you get official notice the port is done. Mine took 3 days, and once I got confirmation, I just had to call previous supplier to cancel service as calls were already coming though on CallCentric.

You HAVE to byob. I bought a cheapie Grandstream at Amazon. The Call Centric tech guide to setting it up was complete and flawless. Wherever that box goes in North America is where your home phone is. Family back home enjoy (514) local calls to me while I snowbird during the winter in (928).

Any tech issues solved within a few hours via trouble ticket over internet.

Been a customer for over 6 months. Number ported. Roughly 200 minutes per month of use. Rented another "local" number when I had classified ads running. Still haven't used up the first $50 I put into my account.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-27, 01:04 AM

Thanks. I was just looking at Freephoneline.ca also with byob. Just concerned about getting it to work with my isp and 3rd party box.

Looked at OOMA as a higher up front cost, but low ongoing cost alternative.

I like the idea of taking unit south, but our condo only has wifi. Ooma has adapter for that at a price. But may be better to just use voice mail for incoming calls and we will call back.

Lot's of choices.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-27, 08:14 AM

Consider VOIP.MS.

I've been with them for 5 years and am very happy with the pay as you go cost (less than $3.00 per month) and their technical support which I needed when I first setup my system.

A lot of people use a combination of Freephoneline and VOIP.MS but VOIP.MS is cheap enough that I don't bother.

Phil
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-27, 10:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeresident View Post
Thanks. I was just looking at Freephoneline.ca also with byob. Just concerned about getting it to work with my isp and 3rd party box.

Looked at OOMA as a higher up front cost, but low ongoing cost alternative.

I like the idea of taking unit south, but our condo only has wifi. Ooma has adapter for that at a price. But may be better to just use voice mail for incoming calls and we will call back.

Lot's of choices.
Wireless Access Points commonly available from Amazon for under $30. When looking at at calling costs, make sure "free" calling area includes US & Canada if you are a snowbird.

Callers will quickly tire of hitting voicemail all the time. Also, US friends you will have down south will not want to pay international long distance by dialing a Canadian number just to call a condo neighbour down the hall. Being able to rent a cheap DID (local number) for the amount of time you are down south makes a lot of sense.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-27, 11:07 AM

Phils :I have not spent much time looking at voip.ms although those that use it seem to like it. Seemed not exactly Plug & Play. I am computer savvy, but not so much on network stuff.

Buchrob: At present we unplug our phones when we head South, so voice mail that we can access while away would be a step forward
Our rental Condo comes with phone and free US calling. Internet is only wifi (no modem to plug into). We pass our US condo number out to friends and family and we also have Skype which we use a lot, including here at home.

I had a look at Callcentric. Seems like they split incoming and calling services. To get unlimited incoming and 500min outgoing it would be $5.95/month plus either $0.00 or $6.95/month for outgoing plus per minutes charges that vary depending on which plan is chosen. So buy a box for say $50, then $5.95 or $12.90/month.

Question at present seems to be whether to go with a system that I must configure myself (Callcentric, Freephoneline, VOIP.ms and others) vs packaged systems like OOMA, Fongo, YAK, Magic Jack.

I suspect boxes provided with packaged systems are not easily switched to alternative system, so would be money wasted in that event. Self configured units can presumably be reconfigured.

Thanks for input. Slowly getting to understand pluses and minuses. Low cost is one thing, but reliability and service are others.

Last edited by Lakeresident; 2014-11-27 at 11:26 AM.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-28, 12:24 PM

Decided to go with OOMA - $89.99 on Black Friday sale on Amazon and at BestBuy where Bluetooth adapter is included (I couldn't see a need for it).

When I come to port number, OOMA wil no doubt deal direct with Bell. But one thing - we have LD service with YAK. Presumably they too use our Bell number. Once number is ported presumably YAK will need to know. Should I just call them once I get notice from OOMA that number has been ported? Or do I need to do something ahead of time?

Last edited by Lakeresident; 2014-11-28 at 01:14 PM.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-29, 08:18 AM

Lakeresident,
Ooma doesn't allow other long distance services to be used with them. You will have to drop YAK and use Ooma's long distance offerings.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-29, 11:34 AM

Yes I realize that Yak will no longer be needed. Just thinking about when to cancel. Probably once I know OOMA have ported our home number I will call Bell and Yak to make sure accounts are closed.

Last edited by 57; 2014-11-29 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-29, 03:38 PM

When you port out your bell account is closed automatically and any 3rd party long distance providers are generally canceled automatically as well
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 01:17 AM
Veteran

Just a note....I would call Voip.ms and an Obitalk device pretty well plug and play. I use Voip.ms. Not perfect but good enough for me.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 04:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeresident View Post
Yes I realize that Yak will no longer be needed. Just thinking about when to cancel. Probably once I know OOMA have ported our home number I will call Bell and Yak to make sure accounts are closed.
Definitely call your other providers to confirm your cancellation, but ONLY when your new service is up and running. The standard number porting paperwork only says that you are authorizing the transfer of your current number to a new service.

When I switched from Vonage, customer service was completely unaware that my service was cancelled, even though calls were coming through on the new provider and the Vonage connection was dead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.