TekSavvy TekTalk (VoIP) Experiences - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 87 (permalink) Old 2014-04-20, 11:28 PM

Why not do a speed test and see? Please post the results.

http://www.speedtest.net/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 87 (permalink) Old 2014-04-22, 11:00 AM

In that config, yes you would be potentially limiting the throughput from the modem, to the router, having that inbetween.

That being said.. it will depend on what internet package you have.. it might not even effect it.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #78 of 87 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 07:22 PM
Veteran

If the modem's output is going through the Grandstream 502, it could easily be affecting internet speed. Don't know much about the Grandstream 502 but just because it has a 10/100mbps port that doesn't mean it's capable of processing 100mbps. It could be considerably less. Another thing to consider is that, in this configuration, the Grandstream 502 is more susceptible to being hacked. Make sure the firmware is current to limit exposure. The best way to hook it up may be to put a Gb switch after modem and before the Grandstream 502 and router. Put the Grandstream 502 on one port and the router on the other. Two IPs from TSI will be required for this configuration. Some cable internet services include 2 IPs. Don't know if TSI cable does.

post #79 of 87 (permalink) Old 2014-04-30, 06:51 PM
Rookie

guys - thanks for the replies

in the end i got a set-up to work with the ATA after the router (Mango's advice in another thread)
post #80 of 87 (permalink) Old 2014-05-01, 01:58 PM
Rookie

Stevenash - can you link to that forum thread as I would definitely like the ATA to be after the router since we use a cordless phone basestation - and the cable and modem we use is in the basement - we dont want to put the base station in the basement as the cordless handsets may sound flaky in the regular floors of the home. Luckily our home is fully wired with gigabit so i can put the ATA into one of the network jacks on the main floor if I can get the right config you have mentioned.
post #81 of 87 (permalink) Old 2014-05-04, 04:07 PM

Whether this will work reliably or not depends on your router. If your internet connection is heavily used, it will need to support QoS to give VoIP traffic priority over normal internet traffic.

Give it a try and see how it works. If you have problems, let us know what isn't working, and what ATA/router you are using.
post #82 of 87 (permalink) Old 2014-09-21, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Wow,i should have come here before singed up with them.. internet cable and voip.
Nightmare.Now 3 days without phone. Grandstream never registered whatever i do. I get dial signal but callings end up ''busy'' set up is ATA to router.
router is Belkin. Ata is not firewalled. Than's for any advices. Before i cancelled with teksavvy.
Thank's

Last edited by jujube; 2014-09-21 at 04:37 PM.
post #83 of 87 (permalink) Old 2014-09-22, 07:24 PM

Does your Grandstream ATA contain a router? If so, try to connect it directly to your modem to eliminate or confirm the possibility of your router causing your problem.
post #84 of 87 (permalink) Old 2014-09-23, 02:09 AM
Rookie

i finally sorted out. ATA--bridged--belkin router has a ddns option witch registered my voip account just had to put domain voip name& activate the option. finally put the ATA mac ad in the firewall authorized. Voila. The ATA is where i wanted it...modem to router-- ATA(wan) to router(lan)
Thank's
post #85 of 87 (permalink) Old 2015-03-07, 02:50 PM

New TekTalk customer

Switched to TekTalk Basic yesterday (with tekSavvy DSL). We don't notice a difference in call quality, and callers we have asked don't notice a difference either. Works great so far and the price is great.
post #86 of 87 (permalink) Old 2015-10-31, 02:34 PM

Another new TekTalk customer

Switched from Bell POTS to TekTalk this week... absolutely no problems, and it's a third the price. To boot, my parents called me up about an hour after I had it up and running and said I was "nice and loud and clear."

For the record, I'm a TekSavvy cable internet subscriber (Cable 10 Lite), and my setup goes (cable modem) -> (phone box) -> (router). No discernable impact on my internet speed, either.

(I figure I should probably come on here and say that everything went well... because it seems like the only people that ever get on and talk about anything are the people that have problems. Knock on wood, none so far for me!)
post #87 of 87 (permalink) Old 2016-04-23, 07:00 AM
Rookie

Exclamation My little nightmare

I want to share my experience with TekSavvy, which is a misnomer, by the way.

My mom got tired of being shafted by Telus, so I persuaded her to switch to TekSavvy Internet. In the end Telus ended up cutting her phone off too, even though she didn't request it. Instead of dealing with Telus, I told her to get the $10 plan from Teksavvy.

Everything was good while she had the temp phone #. Then on the porting day, her ATA stopped working. Two days of pointless troubleshooting with their tech support yielded nothing. They just read from the script asking to do endless reboots and resets. Thank God for these forums - I was able to find the solution. I installed Zoiper and verified her SIP username and password are correct. After I was able to register her account on Zoiper and tested it, I did the following steps (after uninstalling Zoiper):

1. Connect a PC to the LAN port of the HT502 and leave the WAN port vacant.
2. Factory reset the HT502 by pushing the reset button until the lights go off.
3. Once the HT502 boots up, turn the PC on - it will grab an IP from it.
4. Open a browser on the PC, go to 192.168.2.1 and enter the factory admin password (admin)
5. Go to ADVANCED SETTINGS and delete the URL for "Config Server Path" - very important!
6. Go to BASIC SETTINGS and change your "Device Mode" to "Bridge" - now you can use your ATA between router and PC.
7. Save and reboot both the HT502 and your PC. Connect the WAN port of the HT502 to your router - HT502 and your PC will grab IP's from the router.
8. Now you can access HT502 from any PC on your network. I added DHCP reservation for it.
9. Open your browser and go to the new IP for the HT502. Configure FXS PORT1 using settings from TekSavvy's site.
https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/a...-Configuration
The only thing I did different was change "NAT Traversal" to "Keep Alive", but I am not sure it is necessary.
10. Use username and password that worked with Zoiper.

In my case, apparently, TekSavvy's auto-config was using temporary phone and password, instead of the ported one.

By using "Bridge" mode, my HT502 and one PC use only one port from the router. Here is my final setup:

Internet-Router-ATA (Bridge)-PC
Router-PC
Router-PC
Router-PS3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.