TekSavvy TekTalk (VoIP) Experiences - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 08:14 PM
Member #1

Mango, thanks for taking the time. Folks I recommend you give what Mango suggests a try as he is the expert here and could quite possibly solve the problem before Teksavvy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-10-29, 12:17 AM
Rookie

I tried Mango's fix from post 30, no luck though.

My ip is 192.168.1.1, but followed the rest to a t.

Thanks for the ongoing help guys.

Last edited by Kwai Lo; 2011-10-29 at 12:41 AM.
post #33 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 02:50 PM
Rookie

My phone started ringing this morning. I hadn't done anything else since my last post, but according t TekSavvy, this wasn't an issue on their end.

I'm now going to use Mango's how to setup Linksys in earnest.

post #34 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 02:54 PM
Member #1

Thanks for reporting back Kwai Lo. Please keep us posted with any updates.
post #35 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-11-01, 01:05 AM

I'm using the following dialplan:

(911S0|[2-9]xxxxxx|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|*xx|*xx.|[3468]11|822|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|4XXX|**275.|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

Is there anything I can add/modify to get rid of the connection delay when dialing out?
post #36 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-11-01, 11:07 AM
Member #1

blahzay, please see posts #5 - #7 of this thread
post #37 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-11-01, 04:55 PM

Sorry - I should have been more specific. I'm using the dialplan I've posted above, as it seems to have a couple of advantages (911 string being listed first for example).

I'm also trying to learn about dialplans, so I'm wondering which specific part of the plan Mango posted addresses the dial out delay.
post #38 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 06:33 PM
Rookie

Re: TekTalk Problems

As promised here is my update.
Teksavvy dropped the ball on porting the number from Tektalk to LAN line. They wanted to extend the porting date. When they informed me about the delay, I requested that they cancel the porting and keep my TekTalk going. Lo and behold, they canceled my TelTalk. I couldn't get any messages over the their portal. An hour later with customer service, I got it back, however, the phone did not work, no call in or calls out, at least we were getting messages through the web portal.
While all this was happening, the feeling helplessness was awful. I was frustrated and angry with Teksavvy that I almost canceled all my services with them. After calming down, I realized that forwarding feature still works on TekTalk. I forwarded the home number to my cell. It was annoying getting calls for the kids while at work. A light bulb flashed over my head, if I can forward the number to my cell, I can forward a number to a voip number. I sign up to VOIP.ms. It literary took me 15 minutes to setup. Since I already own the ATA and TekSavvy wants to charge me $25 restocking fee if I return it, it made perfect sense to keep it and use it with VOIP.ms.

I am happy with VOIP.ms service, no interruptions, voice quality is excellent and is cheap with full features. I just requested the phoneasamadi number to be ported to VOIP.ms.

Mango, I have tried your method numerous times with no avail. The registration on the ATA fails. Tech support kept tracing the calls but could not figure out what went wrong. Like I said earlier after spending more than 75 hours with tech support is too much for one person to handle.
Sadly, TekSavvy relies on a third party for their system and I believe that is why many people are having issues with TekTalk.

Good luck to everyone
post #39 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 01:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahzay View Post
I'm using the following dialplan:

(911S0|[2-9]xxxxxx|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|*xx|*xx.|[3468]11|822|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|4XXX|**275.|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

Is there anything I can add/modify to get rid of the connection delay when dialing out?
You really need to post this in a different thread as it is not very TekSavvy specific.

The problem with your dial plan is that the ATA cannot tell whether, when you have dialed something like 2123456 it should apply the [2-9]xxxxxx or the xxxxxxxxxxxx. rule. In the latter case, more digits are expected, so it waits until the long timeout.

An S0 at the end of a rule says "don't wait for any more digits", but rather than using this you would do better if you made the xxxxxxxxxxxx. rule more specific, as this would make the behavior easier to understand. e.g. If you are just using it to capture international calls, change it to 011x.

When only one rule applies and no more digits are allowed, the ATA starts the call. Linksys/Sipura admin guides document this reasonably well.

Incidentally, you have the [2-9]xxxxxx rule repeated, and the **275. rule is almost certainly not what you intended. ("." says the last item can repeat 0 or more times - it's not the same as regular expression syntax).
post #40 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 12:47 PM
Rookie

Months after signing up and yet more calls to tech savvy and I still do not have a voice mail message waiting indicator or call display that works consistently. I still have to press pound when dial or wait 20-30 seconds.

I'm to the point where I'd like to cancel. The only reason I haven't is time because I'm dreading hours of more hassle and I really think they should take back my locked SPA2102 because they were unable to deliver the promised services when I signed up. I'm not sure what to do here. Suggestions?
post #41 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 12:54 PM
Member #1

Snrub, sorry to hear about your problems.

My suggestion is to call billing and tell them that you would like to cancel because of the inability of technical support to resolve your issues and the having to wait 20 seconds to dial out.

I'd also politely tell them that you would like to return the SPA2101 because it is off no value with another service etc.

My guess is that they will be honourable and refund the cost of the SPA2102
post #42 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-12-13, 08:50 PM
Rookie

I called in a couple of weeks ago to cancel TekTalk, but customer told me I needed to speak to the billing department who wasn't available. I explained to a customer service person what I wanted to cancel because of the unresolved issues, etc. By the next day the message waiting indicator worked and the call display issues were much improved. I'm going to guess the timing of the resolution was not a coincidence. I still have to press # to dial in a reasonable amount of time.

During a couple of the days last week we could not make outgoing calls. My other half has asthma and happened to experienced a medical emergency. When I attempted to call for help I was unable to use the phone line. I feel this service is unsafe.

I called in again and spoke to customer service. They contradicted what I was told last time and said that I didn't need to speak to billing. I indicated I was willing to switch to the standard home phone service if I received a full refund for the Cisco SPA2102 ATA. TekSavvy was willing to provide a "partial" refund for the Cisco ATA device of ~$16 (so ~$0 by the time I ship the device). I'm surprised they would treat this issue this way. I never received what I was promised and it took two months to resolve a basic issue.

I can't think of an occasion where I have been more displeased with a product/service purchase. After hanging up the phone I called Rogers and signed back up for their home phone service.
post #43 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 04:48 PM
Rookie

TekSavvy TekTalk opinion

So I'm thinking about ditching my Bell home phone and internet and have been shopping around for other providers. I've been thinking about TekSavvy as they seem to be held in fairly high regard at Digital Home, save for the issues they seem to be having with their cable internet and TekTalk (I've posted a question specific to their cable internet in the appropriate forum). I'm just wondering if anything has improved with the TekTalk service as there hasn't really been a great deal of posts relative to it recently. For those who do have it working, how do you feel it compares to other voip services? In a houshold with two personal cell phones and one wrk cell phone, I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of even basic Bell home phone (going up another $2 a month come Janurary), so I was thinking voip is the way to go. Thanks in advance for any help or info the board can provide me.
post #44 of 87 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 05:37 PM
Member #1

malonzi, TekTalk is a new service and therefore there is limited feedback to date.

At this time if you are going VoIP, I would probably suggest VoIP.ms or Vonage which get very good reviews around here. VoIP.ms is cheaper and Vonage has been around a lot longer with a proven track record.

Why be an early adopter and risk problems when you can hook up with proven suppliers?
post #45 of 87 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 05:58 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down tektalk voip phone

Had it for a few months
Voice quality is really bad at rush hours
I'm beginning to think to for another voip. any suggestions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.