VOIP (talkit) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

VOIP (talkit)

Any one else here use talkit.ca (formerly Cantalk9000). $60 Bucks for the year gets you unlimited talk time and canadien long distance. They port your old number and give you voicemail and call display and call waiting. Ive been using for a year now with no problems - (well there were some initial setup problems, but I got through them) The grand stream device they send you really doesnt like routers and insists that it be first infront of every thing - from what i hear they have sent out new devices to any new customers that now require a router to work properly, guess they were just having to many set up problems (as well as poor costomer support) with the original devices. Took me almost 2 weeks to get mine going after it was shipped to me. It was well worth it in the end.
I left primus and their $20 per month bill plus long distance and tax's for my new $5 per mnth bill and unlimited long distance and its great. (actually 60 bucks up front for the year + tax)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 12:45 AM
Rookie

Talkit.ca

I have problems for the renew service!!!
I pay untill fev 2012 and still the 23 of fev 2011 they cut my line
(this telephone is locked) I call them many times since that and 5 days afther still the line locked!!

Always the promis they will fix in 24h or wat ever
promis they will camlme back in 1 or 2 h wat ever to get me out of the line!!!

And 5 days lather only promes and "escuses) NO SOLUTION!!!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 08:58 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Took me almost 2 weeks to get mine going after it was shipped to me
Wow, that is brutal. While you may be happy with the price, two weeks without a landline is simply unacceptable. How much was the ATA? Is it locked?

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 09:14 AM

If it's 2 weeks for the number porting, that's completely normal. There's a process of request/release from your old->new provider.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 09:38 AM
Member #1

He's saying the problem was with the Grandstream device.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Yes 2 weeks to get it going,
Their tech support at the time appeared to me to consist of students of some sort because all the replies I got were late at night and I would get the same answers from different people. After the first week I gave up and sent it back but instead of getting a full refund I asked them to send me a new Grandstream ( The ATA ) - A friend of mine had been using it for mnths and I know it can work so I was determined to get mine working. Any how the new grandstream came and I simply plugged it in and it worked perfectly from day one.
See CANTALK9000 (now talkit.ca) got a lot of bad rap in the beggining which is why I'm assuming they changed the name. But they have made big effort in improving their tech support. Aslo when I first hooked mine up it would not go through a router- HAD to be in this order- modem, Grandstream and then what ever else had to be behind it. Appearently the one i sent back needed to be wiped clean and new firmware loaded onto it- which they could have done remotely but for some reason there was communication failure between us. Now from what I'm told by a few friends who have since ordered it, it specifically states you must have a router for the grandstream to plug into. That prolly eliminated 99 percent of their problem right off the bat.

My one years renewal is is fast approaching (early april )- hopefully it goes smoothly unlike unlike the description Ljose1627 gives in his post. I will post what ever happens when it happens.

Its 60 bucks for the ATA (grandstream) I have no idea wether or not its locked .It was 175 bucks for every thing - 1 year service including the device and shipping and handling - its only 60 +tax to renew the service again for one year.

If your still interested but skeptical, just order the service and you get a new number included with the price - hook it up make sure it all works and then port your number- (porting is 20 buck or some thing like that) Rememebr they do offer a full money back garantee. Ill never go back to a reg phone line again - wouldnt even pay 20 a mnth for any other viop service like was with primus.

Last edited by TheCLAENSER; 2011-03-01 at 11:55 AM. Reason: gramatical errors
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 10:09 AM
Rookie

Did you renew? I am looking at getting this service to replace bell. I's looking to see how good TalkIt is.

How is the service reliability? How hard is it to the internet usage (not sure how to say it, I have a Maximum d/l and u/l) I don't know how VOIP is to usage of data limits.

TIA
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 10:14 AM

VoIP uses very little bandwidth. You'll barely notice a difference.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 12:40 PM
Member #1

CrazyKanuk, There are some great low cost alternatives used by many of our members that are proven reliable so I'm curious why are you looking at this service.

Have you reviewed this forum to see what others are using?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Low cost alternatives?? 60 Bucks for the year is too high for you Hugh? And yes I did get it renewed and it works fine with no problems. I would definately recomend Talkit.ca. And Hugh is correct it doesnt affect your usage much if u have a braod band connection. I suppose it would if you were on it 24/7 - from what Ive read its about 3-7 kbps.
Go for it is what i say - screw these phone companys and there 30-50 bucks a mnth.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 05:28 PM
Member #1

Skype and MagicJack are likely even cheaper if all you want is VoIP. MagicJack is $40 for year one and $20 each year after that so a lot cheaper than Talkit. Search on Magicjack for details.

Regardless, I question CrazyKanuck about his/her choice since its hardly a one for one substitute for POTS service and I would caution using such a service without understanding the difference. Also need to understand that much depends on the quality of internet connection so it's difficult to compare without knowing the users provider/package etc.

Understanding why the poster is considering something is important in order to offer advice.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

If your looking for a regular style phone that works all the time and are not into making phone calls in front of your computer with a head set on, talkit.ca is a good cheap alternative. Yes indeed majic jack is cheaper but your computer needs to be on all the time - Not so with talkit.ca it keeps on working so long as your modem is on.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-07-25, 07:55 PM
Rookie

Good so far

I agree that magicjack is cheaper but your PC has to be on which is lame and you can't port over your existing number. I signed up for talkit.ca with a WagJag for $69 total including the device, tax and shipping included so can't go wrong! Works great behind a wireless router and the quality is better than I had with Rogers. The company seems really small but when I've contacted them they have seemed pretty honest and straight forward about things. Works great so far, if you're thinking about voip and don't want the silly limitations or high prices go for it!!
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-07-25, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

What is a WagJag ?
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 2011-07-26, 12:09 AM
Rookie

It' s a discount site like groupon...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.