VOIP (talkit) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-11-29, 11:05 PM

Xplornet (I think that's how they spell it?) is satellite and I think the bigger issue is high ping times. In some situations I guess traditional landline might be a better option.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-12-07, 08:41 PM
Rookie

A fast and dependable internet connection is definitely necessary for any VOIP service. I'm using an ADSL internet connection with 18 MB down and 0.8 MB up, with 19 ms ping. Fairly decent speeds, though I still have to configure QoS on my router to ensure dependable two-way phone service (see my earlier post for details). I just renewed my TalkIT service for the third year running and it's still working great.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-12-07, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten8r View Post
...I still have to configure QoS on my router to ensure dependable two-way phone service
And what is it you do (internet wise) on your home network that 18/1 pipes do not allow good VoIP without QoS?
What router? What firmware? How many lines sumultaniously? G.711 is just 64Kbps. G.729 is half as much...

These revelations smell fishy to say the least...

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-12-08, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutki11 View Post
...but just in time MAGIC JACK is offering their new improvement so I can use it without computer also.
MagicJack Plus - the one that does NOT need a PC to run - is around for two years.
There was no need to use Talkit ( that you dont even name!) other than to want to get pissed!

Another shill? Learned to use copy/paste? When will MagicJack recruit somebody with at least half a brain...
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-12-08, 07:47 PM
Rookie

I'm using a Netgear WNR3500L with Toastman's Tomato firmware. Before implementing the quality of service settings, the phone quality wasn't very good and would only allow "one-way" communication. If anyone has a suggestion on how to otherwise configure it to work I'd gladly welcome it, though everything I've read on VOIP suggests you have to use QoS.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-12-08, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten8r View Post
...everything I've read on VOIP suggests you have to use QoS.
QoS prioritizes VoIP traffic inside your house!
Meaning, if you are running a torrent (watch Netflix, play online game, etc.) that is consuming all the bandwidth
and decide to place a VoIP call, the other traffic will be slowed down and priority will be given to your call.

It does nothing outside your premises!

VoIP providers would like you to believe it is your network at fault while in reality it is theirs 99% of the time.
I guess your case is the 1% remaining...
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-12-10, 07:03 PM
Rookie

You're absolutely right when it comes to the blame game from the VOIP service providers, as I had to figure this out for myself and received no help from the provider. What I have experienced is this:
QoS on - phone works very well.
QoS off - phone does not work very well.

Good point about slowing down other network traffic during a phone call, though the low bandwidth of the VOIP doesn't seem to affect this too badly.

It's still a great way to save money, but for those not technically-minded or not wanting to deal with some hassle, it's probably best to go with the old reliable POTS phone line.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 2017-02-23, 12:58 PM

Talkit.ca is Canadian owned and operated and always has been

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.