Callers complain of a faint echo of their own voice - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Callers complain of a faint echo of their own voice

I apologize if this has been addressed already in this thread. I tried a search and didn't come up with anything that seemed quite on point, but if anyone can point me to posts where this has been addressed I will go back and read.

Anyway, the issue: callers complain of a faint echo of their own voice. I don't hear an echo of my voice or theirs. Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 10:27 PM

Hi Drover,

Let's start with the easy fixes and work our way up.

What is the latency from you to the VoIP.ms server you use? You can test this by opening a command prompt window and typing ping toronto.voip.ms - obviously, replace toronto with the server of your choice. Theoretically, the lower the latency, the better.

Are you using premium routing? If not you may wish to test that. Occasionally, value routing has sound quality issues. (That's one reason it's cheaper.)

You may wish to turn down the volume on your phone, if it has volume control.

What hardware do you have? If you have a Linksys ATA, there are a few settings to look at:

On the line tab, enable all of these, if you have them. This is the default, so they should already be set this way.
Echo Canc Enable
Echo Canc Adapt Enable
Echo Supp Enable

If the above were already set correctly, on the regional tab, enable More Echo Suppression if you have this option.

If that still doesn't solve the problem, we need to adjust the FXS Input/Output gain. This may be found on the Regional tab, and you should reduce one, then the other, in increments of 3. Finding an appropriate volume for a comfortable conversation, that will not cause echo can be a balancing act, but once you find it you should be safe to leave it there.

m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.