Great News, Amazon Echo Dot finally going to be sold in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-11-17, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Great News, Amazon Echo Dot finally going to be sold in Canada

Hello Everybody, the great news is that Amazon has finally confirmed its voice activated Amazon Echo Dot speaker to be sold in Canada. I know I know, your question is WHEN? so they have not released a launch date as of yet so just sit tight and relax its coming soon anyways.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.

Last edited by 57; 2017-11-17 at 08:03 PM. Reason: OT part removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-11-17, 03:04 PM

The Amazon echo line is now on the Amazon Canada website for pre-order with delivery scheduled to start December 5, 2017.

I have a Echo Plus on pre-order.

Alan

Gateway and 3 Portals, Samsung FP-T6374 TV, Panasonic DMR-E80, Denon AVR-3808, Sony CX777ES
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-11-17, 07:15 PM
Rookie

The Echo is only available in English in Canada. French will appear at a later date. Just check the listing on Amazon.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-11-18, 08:59 PM
Rookie

You've been able to use a Canadian address with the Echo for a few months now and it also recognizes the CFL but it is finally great to see them sold in Canada, Best Buy has them on pre order as well.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I did not know u have been able to use a Canadian address for a while, but what I did know is you were never able to download the Amazon Alexa app up untill the date of the announcement press release, which was some time last week. I know because I even tried to Download the Alexa app a few weeks before that and it would not let me, I even went to the USA for a Family Funeral and tried to download it but the Google App store would not let me because it knew I was a Canadian Resident. Apps are sold geographically on all major platforms, this will always be the case.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 01:31 PM
Veteran

I've installed US Google apps when using a US IP address. Had to do it by logging in from a PC though. It wouldn't work from the phone.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-11-19, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I tried phone, tablet and pc, they would not let me, it was probably looking at a geo-restriction based on my Canadian account.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-11-20, 10:29 PM
Veteran

Getting back to the original topic, I considered buying but I really can't think of why I'd need it or what I'd do with it that I don't have already covered by the Google Home. I don't think there's any smart home product compatibility factors that I need. Voice ordering from Amazon would be it.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-12-08, 12:16 PM
Rookie

Well it arrived on schedule and within a few hours it was up and running. Since I still have difficulties with smart phones and apps it took a bit longer. The whole concept still amazes me and still remains a novelty of sorts. It works perfectly for us both and responds to our different voices. Instantly (once the apps are installed) it responds playing music, telling jokes, giving the weather, news headlines, etc etc. It also works with the Amazon Fire stick and provides voice activated options for viewing. It also provides audio. Do you or I really need one....no not really but it is still an interesting and usefull gadget. For the paranoids out there...yes the microphones are pretty well on all the time and brings back feelings of Big Brother watching but we have nothing to hide yet. So far...
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-12-08, 06:56 PM

I have read the reviews of these devices and for the life of me I cannot think of a use for one in our house.
But then we don't even answer the phone unless we recognize the caller ID.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-12-08, 07:00 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Don't Buy Anyone an Echo (or similar device)...

https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-anyone-an-echo-1820981732
Zank Frappa likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-12-09, 08:46 AM

I have a (conceptually similar) Google Home and I find it useful for four things:
  • Quick, simple information requests, like asking for the weather while you're getting dressed
  • Controlling smart home devices, like telling it to turn the Christmas tree on or off
  • Playing music on chromecast enabled speakers
  • The broadcast feature which lets me dictate a message on my phone which is then played out loud on my Google Home (great if you have someone in the house who doesn't check their phone regularly)

To a certain extent you do need to be plugged into the relevant ecosystem already to get value. Is it essential? Absolutely not, but it's fun!.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-12-09, 10:51 AM
Veteran

I agree with the blogger's assessment and would never buy any hardware from a
company like Amazon or Google. All they want is YOUR data. That is the value
FOR THEM in offering such 'smart' devices.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-12-09, 11:30 AM

Of course that's what they want, but that's what everyone wants. You can argue that Google and Amazon are the worst offenders for data collection, but if you think Apple, Microsoft, Wal Mart, Bell, and every other major tech or commerce company don't also want your data, and don't collect as much of it as they think they can get away with, you're wrong.

All of these companies, products, and services exist on a spectrum. Ultimately there are two types of currency you use to pay for these things: your data and your dollars. It's up to every individual to decide where they draw the line for how much they're willing to spend, but the only way to keep your data out of it altogether is to unplug and go off the grid entirely.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-12-09, 10:51 PM
Veteran

It's not just privacy issues with these devices. Google and Amazon are probably the worst when it comes to data collection but they are among the best when it comes to security. As mentioned in the article, a larger problem may be that this type of device can be hacked and used for anything from Bitcoin mining, to email spamming or stealing your passwords and other personal information. (Being blackmailed by the mob over some casual remark made at home anyone?)

There are probably people thinking that those already happen with phones and computers but it's much worse with "internet of things" (IOT) devices. The security on many, if not most, IOT devices is terrible and is unlikely to get better in the short term. Security holes are not likely to get fixed on most of these devices either. Hundreds of thousands of them are known to have been hacked. The most common devices so far are security cameras and routers but many other devices are vulnerable. I've read a couple of stories about someone's sex toys being hacked. And talk about data collecting, one of the makers was sending usage data back to head office.

So Amazon, thanks but no thanks to the echo and whatever other IOT listening device you may have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.