Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Suggestions for a Travel Tablet

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  reidw 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, loving that there is a site for Canadians to talk about computers and other gadgets. I have come across so many similar forums but for the States so finding this with such a large community is a pleasant surprise.

I am going to be doing a lot of travelling in Canada this year as I move into consulting (have to take the train across the country at least once, and might have to go up North for a bit as well) and I am looking to purchase a tablet to make things a little less boring for those long rides. I previously had a first gen iPad that broke a couple years ago, I quite liked it but there were too many restriction so I was looking at Samsung tablets like the Galaxy Tab. Most of them have a big screen and run quite fast so I could watch my football games or play something on them which would be my biggest priorities. I am also looking for something with high connectivity, a lot of the areas I will be staying in have very bad cell reception and internet is spotty so being able to connect and stay connected is a must. Durability and a good battery and also things I am looking for, but that seems to be pretty standard among Samsung tablets. Are these the ones I should be looking at, or does anyone here have some better suggestions for what I will be needing? Thanks in advance guys and gals!

#2 ·
Very happy with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (great for library books, newspapers and web), but only wi-fi. Connect via hot spotting my cell if necessary, which works fine if you have a generous data plan on the cell.
If both wi-fi and cell coverage can be spotty, you may be forced to compromise in some way, but cost wise I'd suggest hotspotting on your cell account.
Also, get a rechargeable USB battery pack (aka portable charger) or two for trips where you don't have a mains charging outlet.

Reactions: Jase88
#3 ·
I too would suggest the 9.7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 or the newer S3. Both have a great screen for downloaded movies and games and are very reliable on WIFI. However if you can find one on E-bay or somewhere like that, the original Galaxy Tab S with its larger 10.5 inch screen would be even better. That screen by the way was not only larger but also had a default landscape orientation that made it ideal for movie watching. Beginning with the S2, Samsung switched to portrait and reduced the screen size to make it more IPAD like. Why they took a good idea and wrecked it is something I've never been able to find out.

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I'm also very happy with the Galaxy Tab I've had since 2015 and occasionally use a USB battery pack as well. It's the only tablet I've owned so it's hard to compare, but I noticed I have much better Wi-Fi range than relatives with an iPhone or iPad.

It gets several hours of use per day and I download videos to watch/listen to when I'm on the go and especially when I'm out of Wi-Fi range. I like that it has an SD card slot for additional storage, although I've never needed to use it.

#6 ·
The Samsung Galaxy Tab series of tablets are great for media consumption. You can't beat the OLED screen. I'm uncertain if a cellular network-capable version is sold.

If you're taking the train across Canada, you'll likely be taking the Canadian, which does not offer WiFi service (unlike most other VIA trains). The train itself travels through many remote and northerly regions, so cell service will be spotty at best. As VIA's Wifi uses cellular networks, this would explain the lack of WiFi facilities aboard the Canadian. You won't be able to stream live sports unless you are in a more urban area or at a station.

I recommend downloading any content that you wish to view prior to your trip. For example, Netflix now allows you to d/l shows onto your device.

#7 ·
Yet another vote for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T813. As already mentioned, it's a 4:3 tablet but works well in both landscape and portrait mode and is great for books. It has 32GB of storage and a microSD card expansion slot so it can really be loaded up, especially when using extra cards. The 8 core CPU helps with performance and extends battery life. It's very thin but it's best feature is the amazing screen. It's a fair bit cheaper than a comparable iPad as well. I've seen them on sale occasionally. Mike's computer shop has it on right now for $499.

#8 ·
No I am not recommending this but right now I am out of town with a 1GB 16GB windows Insignia 8 inch tablet with a cheap Dell keyboard and mouse and except for the small screen the 1 GB memory is doing the job! :)

under $100 tablet and $20 wireless keyboard and mouse.

#9 ·
Well this seems pretty unanimous. I am looking at some Galaxy Tabs for sale around me right now, I don't know whether to buy new or used right now as I have a sinking feeling that it might get ruined towards the end of the trip (I tend to be quite clumsy) and I can get some good bundles that people are selling, plus that would allow me to get the original with the huge screen as mentioned above. I already have a USB powerbank, but I think I will get another one so I can have my phone and (soon to be ) tablet charging at the same time. Thanks for all the advice, I now know what direction to be heading in.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks to the great advice that I got on here, I will now be travelling in style with my recently purcahsed Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I bought it from someone online that included a case with it, but I think I will look at otterbox or the other companies mentioned in here so I can get a nice tough case. I always remember my surveyor throwing the tablet into the truck with the case on and ending up denting the truck with it. Thanks again for all the help guys, will be recommending this to the guys I work with if they are having troubles buying electronics.

#15 ·
@CannuckleHead: If you don't mind, where did you make your purchase? I've got the original Tab S but it is having battery issues (after only 3 years?) and I'm looking to upgrade.

Another open question. Does anyone know of a reputable source in Canada for Sony Experia tablets (10 inch)? I'm interested in their waterproofing feature and can't find anyone in Canada who sells them.

Thanks.

#16 ·
I have had many tablets so far and my favorite, for price and performance, is the Lenovo Tab 10 X103F. It cost less than $120 on special and it is a very basic tablet. You have GPS, Bluetooth and Wifi. That's it.
If you are looking for a tablet to surf and send email but still have a reliable tablet, this is the one to go for. As a bonus, it comes with Android 6.0 .

#17 ·
I got mine used, I bought it off of a seller on http://www.for-sale.co.uk/samsung-tablet that shipped the tablet to me with expedited shipping; even with the shipping it is a way better price point that the used tablets I was looking at around me that were in similar condition. I would point you towards the individual seller as I thought he was selling a couple tablets but the listing seems to have disappeared.

#23 ·
@otvee: You beat me to the question. Where can you get Sony's great tablets in this country? They show them at the website (z2, z3) but rather strangely don't provide any "Where to Buy" information. Aside from Amazon.com where you can pay exorbitant prices (ref. exdilbert) to import these tablets, there don't seem to be any outlets selling to the public. My guess is that in Canada, Sony only sells their tablets to corporations and organizations willing to buy in bulk for their employees. They don't see individual sales as worthy of their interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.