Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

iPhone 4S No ios 10 update

6K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  audacity 
#1 ·
It looks like there is no ios 10 update coming for those of us still using an iPhone 4S. The last ios update I got was 9.3.5. and my phone says your software is up to date.

#28 ·
Android development may have started in 2003 but Google did not acquire it until 2005. A commercially available Android (1.0) was not available until September 2008. Even that was a relatively limited release since it was only available on one device. The big issue with Android is security. Anything older than 6.0 has serious security issues that are not being patched on many, if not most, devices. iOS security may not be perfect but it is much better.

#30 ·
Perhaps, but in the context of the post, you were talking about security updates for iOS and Windows. The security patches were relevant to the discussion.

The big issue with Android is security. Anything older than 6.0 has serious security issues that are not being patched on many, if not most, devices. iOS security may not be perfect but it is much better.
I didn't dispute this. You made two factually incorrect statements in a single sentence, and I pointed them out. I was not making a broader point.

#29 ·
@TorontoColin, when I said two years of "OS releases", I was referring to new versions of Android, not security patches. Yes, Nexus devices are supposed to get 3 years of security patches, but in the context of this thread (the iPhone 4S not getting iOS 10), the OP was complaining that a new OS release wasn't coming to a phone released 5 years ago.

#31 ·
I don't think you are telling the truth buddy. The latest iOS version for iPhone 4S is iOS 7.1.2 and no further. I don't know how did you managed to update your iPhone 4S to iOS 9.3.5.

Even iPhone 5 is not qualified to update to iOS 10. You need an iPhone 5S at least to use the iOS 10.

#33 ·
The 4, i believe couldn't go higher than 7.X (i have an old one at home, and i know it cant go really any higher)

The 4s might then be able to go up to 9 (not positive on it though)

The regular 5 though, definitely can go up to iOS 10. My son is using my old 5 as an iPod, and its updated to 10.

#34 ·
A rule of thumb: if the iOS device has a A4 chip, it is stuck at iOS 7 (except the original iPad which was deprecated long ago), if it has a A5 chip, it maxes out at iOS 9 (iPad 2, iPad mini, iPad 3). A6 and better can do iOS 10.

The iPhone 4 was a A4, iPhone 4S a 4S, and the iPhone 5 was a A6.

It wouldn't surprise me if the next version of iOS dropped the A6 chips because then iOS would be "64-bit only" (A7 is 64-bit). They could do away with any considerations for 32-bit chips. I suspect the A7 chips will be able to hang on for the next ~3 versions of iOS.

#35 ·
You need at least an iPhone 5 to update to iOS 10. I'm using an iPhone 6 and I'm running iOS 10.2.

iOS 10 already take more battery than iOS 9. I think iOS 10 is not suitable for iPhone 4S. Just look at iPhone 4. iPhone 4 can't even updated to iOS 8. You should be happy with your iPhone 4S that it can run iOS 9.3.5 :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.