Samsung Galaxy or Nexus? please help - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Samsung Galaxy or Nexus? please help

Hi All i need some advice - I'm about to get a new phone on the Telus network in Canada and i'm trying to decide between the Nexus or the Galaxy S11... I'm new to Android and i have been using a Blackberry for years... here are my issues... the nexus looks amazing but it doesn't have a micro sd slot and it's also a pretty long phone... the Galaxy has the 2.3 OS but i just read the ice cream update will come out later this year... Both phone are going to be free with my package and i could REALLY use some help on this... i like the micro SD and that the phone is smaller... but the Nexus OS is so nice... for a first time user what should i do????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 12:46 PM

If you can hold out a little longer, the Galaxy S3 is scheduled to be announced on May 3rd.

I would wait for that as opposed to the S2 or the Nexus.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

i have to sign within a week as the promo for 6GB per month runs out.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 01:31 PM

ok have to clarify which phones your talking about.

the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus S ?

Samsung Galaxy2 or the Galaxy Ace?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

It's the one they sell at Telus
4G Samsung Galaxy S II™ X
Galaxy Nexus
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 02:20 PM
Veteran

If you plan to take a fair number or photos then I'd recommend the Galaxy Service II. Other than that, both really are great phones. I agree that having a microSD slot is handy, as that's what prompted me to sell my Galaxy Nexus.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 02:50 PM

I have the galaxy nexus and like it.

Decided for it vs the galaxys2 due to mainly the larger screen and the fact that it will most likely be supported for longer then the S2.

Plus the bell version has the stupid back button on the right and my palm would touch it all the time on accident (when 1 handing the phone the rightside of my palm would hit the button constantly)

No sd card is a sour point for movies (can only fit 3-4Gb720p mkv's) but only if you want to keep many many hd movies on it.

for music its not as important imo as with 6 gb of data (same as me) you can just stream radio stations.

photos for me look fine unless your inside. but its a phone. pics are fine if all you want are facebook photos or 4x6s
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 03:14 PM

also one feature the nexus line of phones has is that the phone comes unlocked so if you decide to switch carriers down the road you would still be able to use that phone
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 03:52 PM
Veteran

I purchased a Galaxy Nexus for two reasons.

1. It has the necessary radio/antenna design to support all the Canadian cell phone carriers and comes unlocked; it's carrier agnostic.

2. It is a "official" Google phone, and gets its software directly from Google (well, once you flash it with the correct Google firmware) so you don't need to worry about having a orphaned product - at least not for quite a while.

Well, three reasons if you count that I needed a new smartphone (my current phones battery was starting to fail since it was over 2 years old). It also aligned with the release of the Galaxy Nexus, so it was the "fresh" new phone at the time. After using it for a while I'm not unhappy with it, but there are a number of aspects about Android that I think could be much much better.

That said, most of the software components of Android are user replaceable (e.g. keyboard, bluetooth voice input app, etc) and if the software that comes with the OS doesn't do what you want, you might be able to find an app that "fixes" that problem for you. Unfortunately iOS doesn't provide this option - if you don't like the default keyboard... tough!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 05:18 PM

The Galaxy S II will probably get an ICS update soon, but it will also likely never be updated from there. The Galaxy Nexus will at the very least be updated to the next version of Android beyond ICS. Both have capable hardware, but smartphone software is very important given that you will be interacting with this device every day. Unless you really need the expandable memory, I'd strongly recommend the Galaxy Nexus.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 10:08 PM

I recommend the Galaxy Nexus - it works with all the 3G carriers in the US. When I was in the US, I got a T-mobile prepaid SIM and got unlimited talk, text, and data (3G for the first 200MB, 2G afterwards) for $3/day.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-20, 09:08 AM

one thing to note is battery life is TERRIBLE with the 4.0.1

i get 2.5 hours of screen on time per charge.

i want to root it and put 4.0.4(supposedly better battery) on it but haven't got around to it..
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-20, 12:50 PM

No need to root if it is the official version. There are tons of "how to's" if you do a search for it.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2012-04-20, 01:17 PM

google already released 4.0.4 for the nexus S and galaxy nexus so that may take care of the battery life issue. i was never on 4.0.1 so i wouldn't know for sure. i never rooted my phone because i do not want to void my warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.