Could iOS kill console gaming? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Could iOS kill console gaming?

Some interesting data out of this week's iPad update presser:
  • iPad has now sold more units than XBox or PS3 and will soon surpass Wii...and did it in less than half the time.
  • iPad has more graphical proceesing power
  • iPad has higher resolution
  • Can be streamed to a 1080p HDTV
  • Has a far more robust media store
  • Already has cracked the mobile market via iPhone

Granted the gaming catalog needs to grow, but titles like Infinity Blade and Sky Gambler prove that you can have the same calibre on iOS. Seems to me it's just a matter of time. Has console gaming already died and we just don't know it yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 08:37 AM

Sure the iPad sells more but are people really replacing their consoles with iPads?

Can you play online games with an iPad?

And what about things like controls? Is tapping and rotating a screen really that satisfying for certain types of games?
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 09:13 AM

Mobile phones and tablets are a obvious threat to mobile gaming but not home consoles at this point.
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 09:32 AM
Veteran

Agree with james99 right now. However in five years time, who knows? Apple or Google + random manufacturer might produce an iPad/Android tablet that could hook up to a TV via HDMI and support wireless controllers. Some games could be played on both the tablet and the TV and for others, you could have subsets for each output device. For example, customizing/outfitting your avatar could be done on a tablet while gameplay would be done on the TV.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 09:53 AM

The console gamers are always going to want better graphics/shading/frame rates than can be crammed into a portable device.

There is some serious silicon in the Xbox360/PS3 and it is only going to be higher performance in the next generation consoles.

The power requirements for those would drain an iPad3 battery very, very quickly not to mention the heat dissipation required, etc.

Android rocks!
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
  • iPad has now sold more units than XBox or PS3 and will soon surpass Wii...and did it in less than half the time.
  • iPad has more graphical proceesing power
  • iPad has higher resolution
  • Can be streamed to a 1080p HDTV
  • Has a far more robust media store
  • Already has cracked the mobile market via iPhone
I think you could make an even better argument for all of these things with PCs, other than the last one, and it has been true for a very long time, but I don't see PCs as a danger to console gaming.

I'm sure the iPad's graphical processing will be topped by the next generation of consoles, coming soon. And the higher resolution doesn't really matter because console gamers typically want the big screen of a TV, on which the iPad is only 1080p anyway.

I think Nintendo should be very concerned at the moment, but Sony and Microsoft shouldn't be too concerned about the iPad. The bigger threat for them one day is probably a future version of Apple TV.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 06:26 PM

nintendo? nah, they produce the majority of the quality titles for their platform, so it's not like they have to really worry about studios defecting
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 06:52 PM
Veteran

It may be more of a threat to the $60-$80 games than it is to the console itself. With games going for $0.99 and slightly above, I have yet to convince myself to get Mass Effect 3. I'll probably wait for the bargain bin.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 07:03 PM

the 99 cent games play like 99 cent games tho

there is a HUGE gap in the quality of games for iOS and windows/xbox/ps3/nintendo
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 07:05 PM
Veteran

It's still hard to justify $60+ despite quality and scope. I'm not as excited about new games that pricey anymore.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 07:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
Apple or Google + random manufacturer might produce an iPad/Android tablet that could hook up to a TV via HDMI and support wireless controllers.
Some phones like the Galaxy S II or Galaxy Nexus can already do this. MHL adapter to connect to the TV, and a PS3 controller can connect to the phone via Bluetooth. I could see this migrating over to some of the tablets if they can't handle this already.

The big misleading thing i see here is making the assumption that more people are playing games on an iPad vs traditional consoles. I also don't believe the statement that graphics processing power on an iPad is better than an Xbox 360 or PS3 - if this were so, those consoles would use a lot less power than they do (and yes, I understand the other components in a console affect power utilization, but the GPU is still a big factor here).

I want to see how games perform at the new iPad's native resolution - if it can still deliver so-called "console quality" graphics at that point, then I'll be surprised.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 10:40 AM
Veteran

When comparing against a 7 year old console in a Moore's-law-world it really isn't a surprise that the new iPad has more GPU power. Of course, one needs to remember that the iPad 3 must drive a lot more pixels than a console does (even if they were to run games at 1080p).

I think the main weaknesses in new consoles are that the screen sizes are small and most games are designed for a touch screen - which isn't a great controller for many things.

That would be like if game developers tried to make all games work only using Kinect. That would work well for a few game types, but not so well for many popular genres.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

No reason that you couldn't have bluetooth controllers, though.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 04:45 PM

Quote:
When comparing against a 7 year old console in a Moore's-law-world it really isn't a surprise that the new iPad has more GPU power.
I'm not convinced it has more GPU power.

Just because the resolution of the display is bigger doesn't mean much. Scaling algorithms are easy.

Where the big power for GPUs in gaming PCs and consoles goes is into the shaders/pixel pipelines. They also have a lot of attached specialty DRAM to support the shaders. That kind of stuff is NOT in the iPad.

Android rocks!
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 06:54 PM
Veteran

jvincent,

I'm certain that Apple wouldn't just render all display images/content at 1024x768 and then scale it to 2048x1536, because if the iPad did that all the time, it would just be a pixel-double and it wouldn't look any better than the original.

Until a 3rd party game dev who got early access to the new iPad hardware chimes in on how much pixel pushing power it has compared to a current console, it's just speculation.

Of course, John Carmack predicted that this would happen rather quickly, so if the iPad 3 isn't as fast or faster than the current gen consoles, the next iteration certainly will be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.