Consumers ignore most apps on their smartphones - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 10:26 AM

I'd believe that

I know I'm look that in a lot of cases

you find that app that does that 1 thing you need/want it to do, but it's something you only need once or twice a year

I think of the 100ish or so ios apps I have, 3-5 get used regularly

on my android, it's like 2-4 with 2 of them common with the ios
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 11:00 AM
Veteran

I also believe this. Out of the 100's of apps I have downloaded the past few years. I only use about 4 on a regular basis. Some I will use a lot the first few weeks, then never touch them again. I get bored of them quick I guess. I think for 3rd party apps, my twitter app is the one I use the most, followed by Flipboard and CNN. For Apple, it is Mail and Messaging.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 11:10 AM

Interesting article...

Out of 65 apps installed I have ~ 25 apps that I consider "go to" apps that are used frequently. I make a point of going through my apps every week or two and deleting things I won't use again.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 12:42 PM

I am the same. I have about 70 apps that I downloaded for my iphone and I use maybe 3-4. It is a great selling point but in reality people use very little. The smartphone or tablet they choose should be based on more than the number of apps available; I think.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Actually, this is not news. As a retired IT type business analyst, I feel it's standard behaviour in our society. Latest, greatest; latest buzzword, etc. Do you know how many Execs need the latest and barely know how to power on anything?. We don't have time for hundreds of apps and still retain a life!
We need the most "powerful" this and that and then use it for calls and texting!. Talk about "productivity" and efficiency in society.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 07:38 AM
Veteran

I have never used Twitter or Facebook and no plans to start, so those apps are useless to me, but I cannot delete them from my phone. Another is the Amazon MP3 app, which is useless in Canada because they won't sell to Canadians and the Canadian Amazon doesn't sell MP3s. However, it did work when I was in the U.S. last week. It's another app that I can't delete. I have also added several apps, some of which I use frequently, and others, seldom. So, people may have some apps they don't use because they came with the phone and they can't get rid of them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 03:33 PM
Veteran

I must say that I use a high proportion of the 100 or so apps on my iPad - or at least my kids do when it comes to the games. Some of the apps are used very occasionally, like the Speedtest app or ping app but it is good to have them for when you need them, especially if they can help you diagnose connectivity issues. With the folder structure in iOS you can also hide away apps under categores - like Travel for Kayak, TripAdvisor, AirCanada, etc.

I have tended to not install too many apps on my Blackberry (now on a Bold 9900) as the apps are painfully slow to install and often require a device reboot upon installation or upgrade and BB reboots are also very slow. This is something that RIM really has to fix.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

I have tended to not install too many apps on my Blackberry (now on a Bold 9900) as the apps are painfully slow to install and often require a device reboot upon installation or upgrade and BB reboots are also very slow. This is something that RIM really has to fix.
I don't understand this reasoning. You have to wait to get the install complete and again for the phone to reboot. And that's it. Unless you are installing apps on a consistent basis, I don't get why this is a hardship to some folks. Please understand Wayne this isn't a shot at you personally - I just find it odd some folks cannot spare that extra minute.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 08:11 PM
Veteran

Wayne said: "often require a device reboot upon installation or upgrade and BB reboots are also very slow"

It's pretty rare that a day goes by without one of my iOS apps having an update (and there are often days where you'll get updates at different times). That means you're rebooting constantly (and more if the BB requires a reboot after each app install/upgrade - don't know about this).
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 08:27 PM
Veteran

Exactly what NeilN said - if you have a lot of apps you are constantly upgrading them. When it takes about 10 minutes to upgrade each app that gets tiresome pretty quickly. With the iPad/iPhone the updates are generally pretty fast and never require a reboot.

I guess you can never upgrade the apps but then you are dealing with potential stability issues. That might be another reason that people don't use apps - they may crash quite often. App developers seem to let the users find the bugs.

The other issue that I have with my BB is that many of the apps don't seem to be properly written for the screen size and resolution of the 9900. Therefore they have extremely tiny fonts and I haven't found a way to change that. So you will download an app and then find the apps are less than useful. One example of this small font is on the RSA security token app that I need to generate a security token when logging on to the corporate VPN. The Bloomberg Anywhere app is another example.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 08:36 PM

All of the Apps that I do use on my Moto Atrix 4g sare the ones that I have chosen to install. I have no particular bias against built-in Moto Apps, but I cannot name a single app that I use that was pre-installed by Moto or Bell.

My go to apps are:

Twitter,
NHL Official app,
NFl Official app,
PGA Tour
GasBuddy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in