Galaxy Nexus Reviews - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 01:40 PM

Unlocking any of the Android phones is generally a trivial exercise so I'm personally not worried about that.

Android rocks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 01:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
My only concern with the GN is that several reviews I have read say the phone just doesn't feel as solid as the N1 and some other phones.
That is my exact feeling as well. I am an original Nexus one owner/user, and I love the solid, heavier feel of the HTC builds. I have never been a fan of the Samsung Galaxy line, as they just feel too plasticky and light to me. That being said, I think my desire for the pure Android OS trumps the Samsung build, so I may end up with the Galaxy Nexus. We'll have to see how long I can hold out.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 02:55 PM

I've had my Nexus One for a couple of years now and I'm still impressed by the build quality of the phone. However, when you start building phones with screens 4" or larger, weight starts to become an issue and plastic materials become preferable to metal. The Amaze is quite a bit heavier than the Galaxy Nexus despite having a smaller screen. As long as the Galaxy Nexus is put together well - and my brief experience with one seems to suggest it is - then it's plastic construction is a worthwhile trade-off for me.

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 03:00 PM
Veteran

No problems with the build quality on my Galaxy Nexus. For me, the main issue I still have is with the camera. It's OK, but I think I was spoiled by the one in the S II.

I have also had a few app crashes lately as well, so I may try to install 4.0.3 stock and then add a few apps at a time to see what's been causing the lockups.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 04:13 PM
Veteran

The lack of microSd kinda sucks a bit dont you think?

How is battery life? I must say my wife's iphone4 has just blown my mind. If i dont get my htc desire to a charge jack at least once a day i rarely make a full day on one charge. She has reported 2 days on one charge with lots of text usage and games.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 04:31 PM
Veteran

My Galaxy Nexus has great build quality. Sure, the phone feels lighter than you imagine a phone this size should feel, but the build quality is solid.

All my criticism about the phone centre around software. The main issue I have is the integration aspects of the Android OS. Android really should copy webOS and Windows Phone 7 on these aspects. Build interfaces, not apps. Android has a bunch of different chat/messaging apps when they should just have one chat/messaging app and provide interfaces so people can tie it to stuff like Google Chat, text messaging, or Facebook messaging. Same with email messages. When Palm did the Synergy thing with webOS it was a great idea, and everyone should copy it.

My girlfriend has a Nexus One, and the only thing that is missing on the Galaxy Nexus is that they don't allow Facebook to integrate your Facebook contacts which is silly.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
The lack of microSd kinda sucks a bit dont you think?

How is battery life? I must say my wife's iphone4 has just blown my mind. If i dont get my htc desire to a charge jack at least once a day i rarely make a full day on one charge. She has reported 2 days on one charge with lots of text usage and games.
I have both a Nexus S (2.3.6 on Rogers, no 3G data) and the Galaxy Nexus (4.0.1 on Bell with 3G data enabled), After having both running 9 hours on battery and connected via Wi-Fi, the Nexus S has 78% left and the Galaxy Nexus has 46%. I haven't used 3G data on either today.

Both have the same Christmas HD 3D Live Wallpaper and about the same amount of use (very little). Here's what shown on the Battery Settings screens:

Nexus S (78% capacity left)
55% Screen
15% Wi-Fi
13% Cell Standby
5% Phone idle
3% Android System
3% Gmail
3% Android OS
2% Email

Galaxy Nexus (45% capacity left)
66% Screen
20% Android OS
5% Phone idle
3% Cell Standby
3% Gmail
2% Browser
2% Maps
2% Android System

I'm not sure why the Galaxy Nexus attributes 20% to Android OS compared to only 3% the Nexus S. Also, it shows no usage for Wi-Fi. After the same amount of time on battery, my iPhone 4S (Rogers with 3G data enabled) has 77% left.

My early impressions compared to the Nexus S:
  • Larger sceen is great for apps and browsing
  • Not as comfortable to hold and use with one hand (icons of the far side of the screen are hard to reach)
  • I'm more likely to drop it due it's size, thinness, and shape - the smaller, thicker, and rounded Nexus S provides more contact area. I think I'll get a case with grip.

I really like it, but IMO, I don't think it's worth upgrading from a Nexus S (which I still really like). I bought the Galaxy Nexus for Android 4.0 app development - I need to keep the Nexus S on 2.3 for testing.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 08:31 AM

Nexus One to Galaxy Nexus

I finally received my Galaxy Nexus yesterday. I have to say, unboxing I was a little disappointed. It felt light and plastic, but after having played for a while the form is growing on me. I love the screen, but again the change in size from the N1 is taking a while to get used to.

I wish they had included the neoprene sleeve that cam ewith the N1. It is the little things I like- I remember my Motorola Razr came with a leather pouch, so many others didnt have.

I really love how there was zero APN configuration. It even remembered all my wifi hotspot settings from the sim card! Nice.

Some apps from my N1, dont quite look right on 4.0, but Im hoping updates will roll out quickly.

Overall. Happy, but getting happier.

Shaw Direct DVR630 / DVR 630/ 605, Panny VT55", Sony XBR4, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS3! WDLive
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 10:11 PM

Doubt it remembered wifi from your SIM card, it's from your google account. Options to backup settings to their cloud.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-01-20, 08:30 AM

^^^ That makes sense! Gotta love the cloud!

Shaw Direct DVR630 / DVR 630/ 605, Panny VT55", Sony XBR4, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS3! WDLive
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 12:36 PM

I just realized/noticed that the headphone jack on the Galaxy Nexus is on the bottom of the phone.

Can anyone comment on the annoyance factor of that?

Android rocks!
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
I just realized/noticed that the headphone jack on the Galaxy Nexus is on the bottom of the phone.

Can anyone comment on the annoyance factor of that?
It's the same for the Nexus S. I never considered it an annoyance. In fact, when I'm wearing headphones, the phone sits in my pocket nicely. When I have to take it out of my pocket, it's a simple process of grabbing it by the sides and then the phone is right-side up in my hands, with the connector facing me, protected from any obstacles, like other people in a packed Skytrain (subway) car.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 10:00 PM

Question What version of ICS do you have on your Galaxy Nexus?

Does anyone have a newer version of ICS than 4.0.1? I have an unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Bell and I'm still on 4.0.1 (build number ITL41F.I9250UGKL1). Settings > About phone > System Updates indicates my phone is up to date.

I've noticed a couple problems: auto rebooted (once) and the screen has locked after a just few seconds of inactivity (a few times, fixed by manually turning the phone off and on).

Also, does anyone know who is responsible for OTA updates for Bell's Galaxy Nexus phones (i.e, Samsung, Bell, ...)? I plan on switching from my Bell SIM to a Rogers SIM - if Bell is responsible for OTA updates, would I still get it?

I installed the GN Official Update Checker app https://market.android.com/details?i...alupdate&hl=en
It indicates the the product name of my device is "yakjuux" and is not updated by Google.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 10:34 PM

AFAIK all Galaxy Nexus devices are updated by Google directly and will not be held back or affected in any way by your carrier.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-02-02, 01:00 AM
Veteran

TorontoColin is correct. Carriers don't decide when Nexus phones get updated - it's up to Google. I'm guessing that they will still do a gradual rollout to make sure that no major bugs are found when they update.

Mine was stuck on 4.0.1 as well, but I ended up flashing a custom rom instead. There hasn't been many updates for the phone yet (4.0.2 rolled out to some devices though).

edit: If you are concerned however, you could always flash one of the stock builds from Google directly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.