Asus Unveils First Quad-Core Tablet, Eee Pad Transformer Prime - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-02, 11:47 PM

oh, the infinity has been released already, so technically, the transformer prime has been obsoleted, heh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-03, 05:05 PM

Sadly, I would be willing to say yes. If it isn't it can't be too far from being discontinued.

Still like my tablet though. I thought I was going to play many games on it but it is mainly used to surf the web and play around with my CCTV system.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #78 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 03:15 PM

Location: Toronto, Sony KDL55EX720, ParadigmSoundbar, intelNUC+kodi, GS6
that's why I chose to invest in the Infinity. the os will evolve but I chose to jump in when the hardware reached a certain threshold - combine the quad core & top-shelf screen, I felt this was a good time.

post #79 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 05:40 PM

while I'm sure the screen is technically better on the infinity, the picture quality on my TP is fantastic. running Plex on it is a fantastic experience

watching live tv is still a work in progress though
post #80 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 07:15 PM

Don't fool yourself tgreg. If something comes up better than the infinity and ASUS wants to be on top with their product, your item will be old just like any other tablets these days. The market is evolving so rapidly that I would be surprised to see your infinity go past one year before it is considered old.

One word of advice: cherish it while you can....

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #81 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-05, 08:30 AM

no question Dan, it will be replaced by something newer & better ... I was simply explaining why I think this is as good a time to jump in as any.

Just got my JB upgrade last night ... haven't really used it much since - no noticeable difference at least initially.
post #82 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-11-14, 06:13 PM

There is a new update available for the Prime. One of the fixes is the problem I have had since JB was introduced to us, the video problem. When I open another tab in the browser, it is now perfectly clear. Also, the back space tab is now working without trickery. If you used it, you know what I mean.

post #83 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 12:35 PM

back space tab? I really haven't had any issues with my TFP, I use it daily

i mean other than the GPS, but I didn't buy it for gps fwiw
post #84 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-12-29, 10:48 AM

New update available for TF201. Fixes a few things but not anything major. Nice to see ASUS is still thinking of us!

post #85 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-04-21, 05:31 PM

Well it's been almost 3 years since my last post here. This time, I'm not talking about an Update by ASUS but by an XDA member.

After a few swear words and a few grrrrs, I have managed to update my Prime to the new 5.1 Lollipop. At first I was skeptical about adding it as I had mixed feelings with KitKat mods I had added before.

It has been 3 days so far and WHAT a difference 5.1 makes on Prime. This thing is zooming like the first day I bought it. I had been using my memopad 8 but it has been lagging lately. so for the heck of it, I fired up the ol' Prime and installed KatKiss 5.1 stable version #22.

If any of you still have the antique somewhere, install that version on it and you'll be amazed as I am.

Only negative spot right now is battery. It seems to drain it a bit too fast for me.Thank goodness I have the keyboard dock with it....

post #86 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-04-21, 10:49 PM

o rly?

I may have to dust mine off and do the update

lately, it's just been a dedicated screen in my iCade for mame goodness
post #87 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-04-22, 03:37 PM

Hey Danster - any link to something to walk me through it? I'm pretty much only using mine as an ereader at this point.
post #88 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-04-22, 04:55 PM

I don't want to break the rules of this site but go on XDA, search your device at the top of the web page then go in Developement of the ROMs section. There, look out for KatKiss 5.1 version #22 stable and follow the instructions on the first post.

I couldn't flash mine at first cause I didn't have the proper Bootloader but they also have instructions for that as well.

I tell ya guys, this ol' ASUS has risen from the dead like you can't possibly imagine. I'm using it at this very moment to type this post!

There is NO LAG whatsoever. Mind you I haven't loaded it with all useless crap apps and the ROM itself has very few apps to start with, which is ok by me. There is also a way to get the speed faster but not everyone (including me) have that possibility due to different versions of the Tegra chip, apparently.

But then again, if one speeds/overclocks a CPU, problems usually arise not mentioning the wear and tear on the chip that was probably not meant to overclock to start with.

Right now, my ASUS memopad is on hiatus while I play with the tablet that made me happy the first day I got it. Just rekindling I guess...

post #89 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-04-23, 04:03 PM

thanks danster.

I didn't mean to entice you to break any rules, but I really appreciate it - the hardware is still solid on mine with a great screen, it's just that the thing became almost completely unusable. I'll give it a shot.
post #90 of 96 (permalink) Old 2015-04-24, 01:45 AM
Veteran

My ASUS MEMO Pad is going the same way. It just freezes and won't respond a lot of the time. Some of the problems started when ASUS upgraded it from 4.1 to 4.2 but it's been a year with no further updates and it just keeps getting worse. Stuff like this shouldn't happen. I even reset it to factory defaults and it made no difference. There doesn't appear to be any much support for it on XDA either. Pretty soon I will need to file it under doorstop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.