Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

iPhone 4S Discussion thread (On Sale October 14th)

21K views 117 replies 37 participants last post by  westcoastinc 
#1 ·
To discuss the new device once the Apple iPhone event starts. The event starts today at 1 p.m. ET.

If you'd like to speculate before the event, see this discussion thread.

Expected announcements include: thinner device, faster processor, 8 megapixel rear camera, iOS 5, iCloud Service, iMessage service

#2 ·
press release

Apple® today announced iPhone® 4S, the most amazing iPhone yet, packed with incredible new features including Apple’s dual-core A5 chip for blazing fast performance and stunning graphics; an all new camera with advanced optics; full 1080p HD resolution video recording; and Siri™, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking. With the launch of iPhone 4S also comes the launch of iOS 5, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features; and iCloud®, a breakthrough set of free cloud services that work with your iPhone, iPad®, iPod touch®, Mac® or PC to automatically and wirelessly store your content in iCloud and push it to all your devices.

“iPhone 4S plus iOS 5 plus iCloud is a breakthrough combination that makes the iPhone 4S the best iPhone ever,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “While our competitors try to imitate iPhone with a checklist of features, only iPhone can deliver these breakthrough innovations that work seamlessly together.”

iPhone 4S comes with iOS 5, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system, which includes over 200 new features including Notification Center, an innovative way to easily view and manage notifications in one place without interruption and iMessage™, a new messaging service that lets you easily send text messages, photos and videos between all iOS 5 users. iOS 5 will also be available as a free software update for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS customers allowing them to experience these amazing new features.*

iPhone 4S also introduces Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking. Siri understands context allowing you to speak naturally when you ask it questions, for example, if you ask “Will I need an umbrella this weekend?” it understands you are looking for a weather forecast. Siri is also smart about using the personal information you allow it to access, for example, if you tell Siri “Remind me to call Mom when I get home” it can find “Mom” in your address book, or ask Siri “What’s the traffic like around here?” and it can figure out where “here” is based on your current location. Siri helps you make calls, send text messages or email, schedule meetings and reminders, make notes, search the Internet, find local businesses, get directions and more. You can also get answers, find facts and even perform complex calculations just by asking.

iCloud is a breakthrough set of free cloud services, including iTunes® in the Cloud, Photo Stream and Documents in the Cloud, that work seamlessly with your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC to automatically and wirelessly store your content in iCloud and push it to all your devices. When content changes on one device, all your other devices are updated automatically and wirelessly.

iPhone 4S includes an all new camera with the most advanced optics of any phone. The 8 megapixel sensor has 60 percent more pixels so you can take amazing high quality photos with more detail than ever. iPhone 4S includes a new custom lens, a larger f/2.4 aperture and an advanced hybrid IR filter that produce sharper, brighter and more accurate images. The Apple-designed image signal processor in the A5 dual-core chip is built for performance, and coupled with the features built into iOS 5, makes the camera one of the fastest on any phone. With iPhone 4S, the Camera app launches much faster and the shot to shot capability is twice as fast, so you'll never miss another shot.

New features in the Camera and Photos apps give you instant access to the camera right from the lock screen, and you can also use the volume-up button to quickly snap a photo. Optional grid lines help line up your shot and a simple tap locks focus and exposure on one subject; and the new Photos app lets you crop, rotate, enhance and remove red-eye, and organize your photos into albums right on your device to share them on the go. New iOS 5 features include built-in Twitter integration and iMessage, so you can instantly share your photos via Twitter directly from the Photos app and send photos via iMessage to individuals or groups. And with iCloud's innovative new Photo Stream service, a photo you take on your iPhone is sent to iCloud and automatically pushed to your iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC. You can even view your Photo Stream album on your Apple TV®.

iPhone 4S can also now record video in full 1080p HD resolution and with the new video image stabilization feature, you can take richer, smoother videos. Other iPhone 4S video camera improvements include increased sensitivity, sharpness and an increased ability to capture video in low light conditions. With the new iMessage service in iOS 5, you can now instantly share videos with family and friends.

iPhone 4S has the same beautifully thin glass and stainless steel design that millions of customers around the world love, while being completely redesigned on the inside. Apple's dual-core A5 chip delivers up to twice the processing power and up to seven times faster graphics than iPhone 4, all while maintaining incredible battery life—now up to 8 hours of 3G talk time.

Improving on the innovative stainless steel external, dual-antenna design of iPhone 4, iPhone 4S is the first phone to intelligently switch between two antennas to send and receive. iPhone 4S now supports twice the download speed with HSDPA of up to 14.4 Mbps and iPhone 4S is a world phone, so both CDMA and GSM customers can now roam internationally on GSM networks.**

Pricing & Availability
iPhone 4S comes in either black or white and will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model and $299 (US) for the 32GB model and $399 (US) for the new 64GB model.*** iPhone 4S will be available from the Apple Online Store, Apple’s retail stores and through AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Wireless and select Apple Authorized Resellers. iPhone 4S will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on Friday, October 14 and customers can pre-order their iPhone 4S beginning Friday, October 7. iPhone 4 will also be available for just $99 (US) and iPhone 3GS will be available for free with a two year contract. Siri will be available in beta on iPhone 4S in English (localized for US, UK and Australia), French and German. iOS 5 software will be available on October 12 as a free software update via iTunes 10.5 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch customers.

#3 ·
I'll post the press release in the second post when its released but features of iPhone 4S not 5 include.

The 4S is both -- GSM and CDMA. A5 Dual core processor, improved battery, new wireless system for faster data peeds, airplay mirroring, iOS 5, i Cloud, Improved 8 megapixel camera, 1080p video recording and Siri voice assistant.

Pre-orders Oct 7th, street Oct 14th in U.S., Canada, Australia, UK, France Germany and Japan. On October 28th 22 more countries, and 70 countries by the end of the year

Let's focus this thread on the iPhone 4S please. Trolling comments will be removed without warning so let's keep this thread friendly.

#4 ·
Not impressed...personally. Half or more of this keynote was a re-hash of the WWDC stuff on iOS5 and then they release a spec'd bumped 4S model. I was expecting a re-design of sorts. Maybe thinner and lighter with more resolution screen. I should have known though as there were no real good leaks leading up to the event.

The Intelligent Assistant was impressive but I am not sure if it will draw me to the new model. The only reason would be that we have 1 year hardware upgrades in my office. Tough decision since its plausible that the 5 could be released next September.

#6 ·
While it doesn't have a lot of over the top gee-whiz bells and whistles, I'm not quite sure what more you can get a Smartphone to do?

I think its a evolutionary product. Faster processor, better battery life and better iOS for the same price.

I think us 3GS users will be quite interested but I agree that iPhone 4 user would likely skip a generation.

#7 ·
While it doesn't have a lot of over the top gee-whiz bells and whistles, I'm not quite sure what more you can get a Smartphone to do?
I think most people are dissapointed because they wanted a new design. A "new" phone that looks just like the old phone is not very appealing - even if it performs better.

I'm sure Apple is happy enough with current sales that the 4s will do them just fine until their all-new device is ready.

#10 ·
About what I expected from this update. Reminiscent of the move from the iPhone 3G to 3Gs. The hardware looks the same as the previous model with the internals receiving the updates.

The announcement was mostly a re-cap of what we learned at WWDC in the summer with the addition of the Siri voice assistant which was somewhat expected ever since they bought Siri a year and a half ago.

No compelling reason for iPhone 4 owners to upgrade but the 50% of iPhone owners who are still on iPhone 3Gs or earlier hardware can now upgrade to significantly updated specs and feel good about it. iPhone 4 owners are stuck in contracts anyway!

Noticeably absent, to some people anyway (not me), was an announcement of a 'reduced function/mini iPhone' phone to address the feature phone market. I never thought that that was in Apple's DNA. That market doesn't interest Apple as it does nothing to build on the Apple ecosystem for phones that includes apps in addition to music and video from the iTunes store. What they did do is keep the iPhone 3Gs around and make it a $0 cost phone on contract. A smart move!

About the Siri voice assistant. From the announcement it wasn't clear that it requires the extra horsepower available in the new iPhone 4s but it seemed to be implied that it was a feature of new iPhone only. Seeing as the iPad 2 has essentially the same internals, namely the newer A5 chip, I wonder if the Siri feature will work on the iPad 2 as well.

#12 ·
Not that shocking on the result. The real change will likely come with the next generation Iphone released in 2012.

There wasn't much of a change between the Iphone 3G and 3GS from what I recall, despite being released the following year.I think it might have been a bit faster and had the compass etc.

Apple has some brilliant marketing though. Create demand and anticipation and there will still be hundreds of thousands who will lineup at the Apple Stores all over NA to get this version.

#13 ·
Agree 100%. I own the iPhone 4 and I really like it's feel. It is sleek looking, yet not fragile, and the form factor and ergonomical design are definitely way better than the vast majority of hansdets out there. As Hugh mentioned, what else can they really add to the phone? What glaring omission is Apple guilty of?

I will likely skip this upgrade, but whoever doesn't have an iPhone 4 should seriously consider this.

Noticeably absent, to some people anyway (not me), was an announcement of a 'reduced function/mini iPhone' phone to address the feature phone market. I never thought that that was in Apple's DNA. That market doesn't interest Apple as it does nothing to build on the Apple ecosystem for phones that includes apps in addition to music and video from the iTunes store. What they did do is keep the iPhone 3Gs around and make it a $0 cost phone on contract. A smart move!
Agree 100%. Apple won't waste time in a low margin, low cost phone. They are not in the market of making burner phones. It just cheapens the brand as a whole.

#19 ·
This is the fine print from the US page about Siri.

Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
There are going to be features that won't work outside the US until they are expanded to other areas, namely the directions feature that integrates with maps to name one. There is no reason other features that merely interact with the music player, calendar and contacts, to name a few, shouldn't work everywhere. Remember that Siri is voice control of the device taken to a new level and since much of that voice control interacts with features/apps directly on the phone they should still work. It's the features that require other resources, like a location on a map, that may not be immediately available.

I guess we won't know for sure until the iPhone 4S is released here.

#18 ·
I had kind of hoped, given the extra few months they took over the normal iPhone announcement date, that they were bringing something a little more impressive, and I don't think I'm the only one. There's nothing wrong with the 4s, but it certainly doesn't change everything, again.

The software stuff is cool, but there isn't much that's really new, and though they might do it better than anyone else, I didn't see anything that is completely new to smartphones. Notification changes, iCloud, iMessage, and the new friend locator are all features that are available on other platforms already. Even Siri seems to me like an enhanced Google Voice Search.

As for hardware, the processor is definitely a nice boost, but we didn't see any bigger/higher resolution screens or LTE connections, which is a little disappointing. The hybrid GSM/CDMA is cool, but not really relevant in Canada, as I doubt Bell/Telus or any of the regionals will actually activate it on the CDMA networks. As I said, there's nothing wrong with the 4s hardware, and I'm sure it will perform to Apple's usual level of excellence, but this may be the first iPhone release where the hardware does not impress me.

I don't know what Apple should do that hasn't been done yet, but hasn't their calling card for the last decade been that they innovate in ways we haven't even thought of yet?

#20 ·
As a 3G owner, I will be upgrading to the new 4S on launch date. I can't help but feel slightly disappointed, but it's such a huge upgrade from the current hunk of junk that is the 3G that I can't wait to have a phone that actually works again. Or, at least until it becomes obsolete in two years and I'm stuck in a contract for one more year :p

I read an article saying pre-orders begin Friday - is that true for Cdn carriers or just directly through Apple?

#22 ·
@TorontoColin

The expectations for the new iPhone are completely a manifestation of all the false rumours that were spread online. This is a significant upgrade from the iPhone 4 which, I might add, was outselling all other smartphone models despite being over a year old, the internals are completely new! For iPhone 3G and 3GS users waiting to upgrade this is huge! To be honest, had Apple named this iPhone 5 instead of iPhone 4S it would have been less controversial.

Apple doesn't need to, and certainly can't, revolutionize the industry with every model iteration it releases. The iPhone 4's retina display is still unmatched by the competition, the integration between hardware and software will never be matched. The addition of Siri and what it can usher in in the future is what is revolutionary. Remember, Apple is more about the software/hardware integration than the hardware specs alone.

As for Siri, in some respects it is about introducing feature parity with Google Voice Search but I guess the real test will be in how well each implementation works. Plus, I think Siri goes beyond what Voice Search does but we'll have to wait for the release to see if that's correct or not.

#23 ·
The expectations for the new iPhone are completely a manifestation of all the false rumours that were spread online.
I read a really good article on, can't remember where, saying basically the same thing. That the media and tech junckies hyped up the iPhone 5.0 debut so much, that they where all dissapointed with the release of the 4s and not the 5.0 I admit that i was also caught up in the hype and excitement of all of this and I was a little dissapointed at the announcement. But after looking at the 4S again. I actually like it and I might upgrade my 4.

#25 ·
Is Siri something people will make use of? I sometimes use the voice commands of my Android phone, but most of the time I'm not in a quiet place. (What I do make use of in sort of the same way is Google Gestures, where I can write out whatever app I want to access).

#26 ·
I watched the live blogging for 45 Minutes so excited and ready to upgrade and then they had the announcement. I was sure that was going to be 1 of 2 new phones and I continued to wait for the big iPhone press release. I am still waiting!

Will I upgrade that depends will we be able to take advantage of the 14.4 HDSPA in Canada. How does this differ from 4G / LTE

#27 ·
@TorontoColin

I'm sure the hardware was ready back in July but the software most certainly was not. Remember Apple is a software and hardware company and they have two completely different OSs to develop and many hardware iterations both mobile and on the desktop to design and deliver. Also, they do all their own engineering, nothing gets contracted out except manufacturing. These things take time and most importantly talent.

As for hardware/software integration, until another company comes along and develops their own hardware and software together they will never be able to achieve the integration Apple does.

RIM should be able to on the smartphone with QNX if they don't fumble it. Unfortunately, as Steve Jobs said they are now working in the 'uncomfortable' area of having to build an OS and hardware and that includes creating a developer environment and an ecosystem. Something RIM hasn't had to do at this level before. We've already seen how they are stumbling with the Playbook and that hardware was designed and built for them by a contract manufacturer, Quanta, so it's a perfect example of how much work they still need to do to get to the level of integration that Apple is at.

People choose their platforms for various reasons. Me, I'm heavily invested in the Apple platform so an iPhone was a natural for me. If I relied on Google's tools, Gmail, Gtalk, calendar and contacts then I would probably have evaluated the Android ecosystem before choosing. Then again there are people who jump from platform to platform like they change socks. They get bored with one platform and move to another just so they can experience something different. On smartphones it's easy even if they have an investment in apps since the apps are so cheap. Not so easy when you have hundreds or even thousands invested in desktop apps where moving from one platform to the other takes more consideration and commitment.

#30 ·
I am on a 3G and have been waiting for this announcement to upgrade my phone. However, i am disappointed at the lack of LTE and NFC. While these technologies are in their infancy now they probably won't be in another few years... and I won't be able to take advantage as I'll still have time left on the 3 year contract.

I have started looking at android devices but the more I look the more I realize I have locked myself in the iPhone camp pretty tightly. I have docks, printers, speakers etc... all designed for iPods and iPhones. Maybe Siri will be enough to keep me happy with iOs.

#31 ·
As I noted earlier, I see this as evolutionary, faster processor, better graphics, better battery life, new OS with lots of new features than revolutionary.

In reading the hyped up blogosphere, the only concrete thing it mentioned was faster processor, 8 megapixel camera and new iOS (whose details we knew lots about)

So in hindsight, 4S delivered everything the blogosphere predicted and the 4S now does pretty much anything an advanced smartphone is expected to do.

I understand the lack of LTE and NFC but I simply think that is something that Apple felt wasn't worth the cost at this point.

So I'm curious, excluding LTE and NFC, why the disappointment? What were you expecting that makes this a big downer?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just can't for the life of me figure out what Apple could have done (short of announcing that the phone could cure cancer) that would have made this a great unveiling??

#42 ·
I'm not trying to be difficult, I just can't for the life of me figure out what Apple could have done (short of announcing that the phone could cure cancer) that would have made this a great unveiling??
1. Larger screen - perhaps with a minimal border/bezel "edge-to-edge" screen

2. Improving their navigation so that it rivals (or exceeds) the capabilities of Android. Perhaps crowd-sourcing traffic flow rate information from other iPhone users (since it can calculate the speed cars are moving).

3. Improve their mobile Safari browser (I could go into details here, but I won't for now, just to say that Chrome on Honeycomb or IE10 on Win8 have lots of good interface ideas to steal)

4. Inductive charging (it is/was really cool on the Pre)

5. Better app switching/multitasking interface

#32 ·
I am sort of impressed

I think I like the "new" phone. It's got a better camera, better processor and better battery life than it's iPhone 4 cousin. I think this might be the phone that gets me to abandon my pay and talk. I'm neither an apple fanboy or a "droidroid" but I think this should keep apple on top for a while yet...

#34 ·
According to the web site The Loop Apple confirmed that the Siri technology will work in Canada despite not being mentioned on the Apple Canada web site, at least in English, and this may be the reason why it is not on the Apple Canada site. It may not qualify as being localized for Canada as it may not support the 'Quebecois' french spoken in Canada and therefore Apple Canada could not officially say that it is supported in Canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.