Apple working on iPhone that is half the size - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Apple working on iPhone that is half the size

Apple Inc. is working on the first of a new line of less-expensive iPhones and an overhaul of software services for the devices, people familiar with the matter said, moving to accelerate sales of its smartphones amid growing competition.

Notes:

The new phone—one of its code names is N97—would be available to carriers at about half the price of the main iPhones.

Apple also looking at making MobileMe service free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 11:43 AM

The N97 codename is interesting. I wonder if it is in any way related to the recent Nokia smartphone by the same name.

It's about time they released a lower end model. Apple is passing on a lot of money by not doing so, and they're clearly comfortable with scaling models with their iPods.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 11:45 AM

I can see the less expensive part but making a smaller iPhone doesn't make sense to me. Most people will have a hard time with a touch screen smaller than the current one.

Android rocks!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 01:14 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The same product strategy was used successfully with the iPod: iPod shuffle, iPod mini, iPod touch, iPod nano, so this is already in Apple's DNA and will work well for them with the iPhone. Each iPhone product would be a step up/step down from the others.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 01:17 PM
Veteran

Perhaps by smaller they just mean slimmer and lighter.

-Mike

Pioneer PRO-110FD | Pioneer VSX-92TXH | BELL 9242 | Panasonic DMP-BD35 | XBOX 360 |WD TV Live Hub
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 01:51 PM

Slimmer and lighter would be OK, assuming it's not too fragile.

The shuffle/mini/nano paradigm doesn't hold for a smartphone IMHO. I would (and have) argued that for a touch phone the current size of the iPhone 4/HTC Desire is ideal. Small enough for a pocket but big enough that you can still type.

If it get's any smaller our fingers will need to go on diets.

Android rocks!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 01:57 PM
Veteran

Agreed with jvincent. I couldn't imagine typing on a touchscreen smaller than an IPhone display; even with a good autocorrect system in place.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 02:24 PM

Developing nations want to get in on the Apple fun as well....it's about time.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct 91-XG & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 02:45 PM

I could see something with specs like an iPhone 3G (including the 3.5 in but lower resolution screen) but with everything around the screen shrunk down as the components can be made cheaper, smaller, and more efficient.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 06:41 PM

Geez, not this again.

For all the same reasons Microsoft failed with the KIN this will fail also. I don't think Apple is that clueless.

First, Apple doesn't give a rats behind about market share, they care about profit. So, for the same reason they don't make $500 laptops only to turn a $50 profit they won't make $200 phones only to make $20 profit. And if you think that it is even possible to make more than that on the phone you have nowhere further than to look at the price of the iPod Nano 8 GB. It costs $149.

Now, compared to the iPod Nano, a device with at least 3-times the screen size, the addition of a cellular chip, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and a larger battery, it's going to cost at least three times as much.

Apple already sells a cheap iPhone. It's the previous generation hardware with 8 GB of memory sold on contract for $99. People are not going to pay $200 for the privilege of owning an cramped, unlocked iPhone. Believe me, at 1/3 the size it will be cramped. And even if they could get it on contract for free. It's the data plan that will kill this just like it killed the Microsoft KIN.

If Apple releases this, I swear I will eat yellow snow.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 06:52 PM

You don't have an understanding of the Apple business model with regards to wireless devices.

Apple doesn't make money off the iphone hardware. They take a cut of the monthly fees for data, as well as their cut from software sales.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct 91-XG & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 06:58 PM

LG has managed to release a variant of it's well-reviewed Optimus One Android phone with a 3.2 in screen on numerous carriers and price it around $200 off-contract. If LG can do that then surely Apple can. Consider that Apple would be almost guaranteed to sell more of these than LG, they would not require the numerous minor variations in design and software, and they have their own retail outlets already established. If LG can make profit selling theirs at $200 each, imagine Apple's profits at $250 with higher margins and lower overhead.

Not to mention that they would sell a ton more apps and build their own ecosystem.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 07:06 PM

Jase88, that might have been true with AT&T when they had an exclusive contract but I doubt it is true today now that the exclusivity is over. And, I doubt it is true anywhere else there isn't an exclusivity contract which is most markets.

As for making money on content sales you are correct but it is very small, maybe 5%–10% after costs. They make up for it in volume though. Remember, many apps are free and they make nothing on them but still have to absorb the storage/bandwidth fees. Small but with 360,000+ apps and 10,000,000,000+ downloads it all adds up.

No, that vast majority of Apple's profit on phones is on hardware.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 07:47 PM

TorontoColin, I doubt Apple will go that down-market in build quality in pursuit of market share. LG is a budget phone maker. Their build quality is nowhere near Apple's. And they aren't as adverse to low profit margins as Apple is.

Also, this supposed 'iPhone Nano' is supposed to be 1/3 the size of the iPhone 4 putting it at a 2.5" screen at most, that LG is 3.2". Can you imagine? Cramped is a kind description for a touch phone of that size.

(Note: the original Bloomberg story had the phone at 1/3 size. The WSJ story linked above has the size at 1/2. Every time I hear a story about this 'Nano' phone it shrinks in size. Next it will be invisible.)

All the other 2.5" screen phones have a physical keyboard—there is a reason for that. And before you go there, the 'Nano' was described as being a touch screen phone—no physical keyboard.

Seriously, think about the virtual keyboard on a 2.5" touch screen. It would be unusable.

Sorry, there are too many things about this story that don't add up.

• 1/3–1/2 the size of the iPhone 4
• No home button. (iOS is unusable without the Home button)
• $200 price tag

I don't know what the motive is behind this ridiculous story but the fact that the Mobile World Congress Show is on this week makes me think that somebody just wants to mess with there heads.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
First, Apple doesn't give a rats behind about market share, they care about profit
Agreed.

But they still sell Shuffles and Nanos that are cheap but highly profitable. Remember when everyone thought $499 for a tablet computer was pretty cheap.

Could Apple make a $200 phone that is still exceptionally profitable?

Frankly, I'm afraid to bet against Apple!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.