Sony Plans a Playstation Phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 08:48 AM
+1 on that.

As someone who was raised with Sony being the go-to company for quality and state of the art electronics and who has watched it slip so far, this has the ring of to-little, too-late. The statement from Sony is vague; no specifications, no branding, no release date except 2010. It's seems like a desperate attempt too discourage a few potential customers from buying an iPad in March with the hope that Sony will have something in a few months.

It's sad for those of us who were once enthralled with anything Sony.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 09:19 AM
Member #1
+2. I agree it sounds more like an afterthought. My feeling is Sony simply doesn't have the eco-system to make it a success.

Interestingly, Archos announced its Android tablets yesterday. I think the future is three competing systems in the following order.
  • iPhone OS based tablets from Apple
  • Android based tablets from many manufacturers
  • Windows based tablets from multiple manufacturers

I simply can't see Sony breaking into this.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 12:50 PM
Hmm... If their PSN Store is finally getting worthy PSOne classics game, not like the - excuse the bluntness- crap they are serving us theses days, it could work. You will tell me it's a pretty narrowed niche, but I would reply that we shouldn't dismiss the nostalgic market.

And if they could revamp their network and devices to make it truly contend with the itunes store... well I see it really working.

The PSN Store already have movies, games, add to that apps and music (Sony BMG) and it start to be realistic.

The phone will sell if the content is interesting enough.

They could take the niche between palm users (they had the expertise with the Clié - wich i prefered to tny palm or handspring devices) and the iphone, becoming somewhat of an hybrid.

playstation phone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.