activating a pre-paid on a post paid plan - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-20, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

activating a pre-paid on a post paid plan

I don't know if this is possible. My current phone is junk and I just need a new phone to get me by through the rest of my contract. I noticed that telus is selling this phone for cheaper than without contract

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/l...pp/index.shtml as opposed to
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/lg_7100/index.shtml

Is it possible to activate a pre-paid phone on a post-paid plan? or do I have to buy a brand new post paid phone/used post paid phone off of kijiji?

you gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into this boy's soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-20, 11:14 PM
Veteran

if you just need the phone only, why not just buy the phone in link #1 and pop in your telus SIM card into it and continue using it on your existing line?? i dont get why you want to "activate" it when that is not your intention right?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 03:09 AM

I think it's because that is a CDMA phone...no SIM card. So he does have to get it activated by Telus.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

exactly, I can't find anything on the internet that says you can't activate a PP phone on a postpaid plan for telus. But it almost sounds too good to be true.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

going to the telus store to ask questions, i'm not expecting a yes for an answer.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popular_Dale View Post
going to the telus store to ask questions, i'm not expecting a yes for an answer.
If the boys and girls at the Telus store say no, I would call up customer service and pursue it, because I can't see why they should not allow it. You are simply trying to replace a broken phone. It shouldn't matter where and how you got the phone. It's still a Telus phone. And you're not asking them to sell you a post-paid phone at subsidized price.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

it worked. I asked the questions and i got the answers. You can buy a prepaid phone and activate it as a post paid.. saved me $140.. i'm not complaining - they even threw in free activation!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 01:32 PM
Veteran

ok so it is not a umts phone and has no sim card, even if its cdma, you dont need to "activate" it, Activating means opening a NEW line, you want an ESN SWAP, i dont see why they would refuse this? i used to do it all the time when rogers had TDMA (a similar technology to cdma) that used esn's.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

forgive me if i used the wrong term. I was afraid that the pay as you go phones are only meant for stricly pay as you go.

its funny, i bet you people have paid $200 and not even known they can get the same hardware for $60.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popular_Dale View Post
forgive me if i used the wrong term. I was afraid that the pay as you go phones are only meant for stricly pay as you go.

its funny, i bet you people have paid $200 and not even known they can get the same hardware for $60.
I think it may have been just a fortunate coincidence that the phone you wanted was available both as a prepaid and post-paid phone. Usually prepaid phones are the entry-level and/or older model phones that no one would want as a post-paid (contract) phone.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

yea, all i want is talk and text. im not into the whole smartphone thing. smartphones just mean higher bills and I have no use for one.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 11:43 PM
Veteran

as long as cellphone systems have been arround, ive been able to buy a cellphone and swap the ESN on an existing line. I already know that i wont be getting any "credits" that are only obtainable through "new activaation" since im a existiong clientel. this has been the case for as long as i can remember. nothing stops you from doing this except any associated fees with ESN Swaping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.